Maiden voyage

frankS

I am taking my Brooker 14'er out on Botany bay tomorrow. Big Neil is coming up for a few days and I wanted to take him for a fish.

The boat has been a long time in the making and it's nowhere near finished yet, outside looks like a complete pile of junk but I have been doing some work on the interior and getting a few toys in place, a couple of things need to be re-done as I just bodgied them to get on the water for this trip, the wiring throughout will need re-doing and the carpet over the bait tank and fuel tank will need to be done again (ran out of ply and carpet so just used what I had to do a makeshift job ).

I trust that it won't leak but I have the bilge pump working incase and have a bucket. Hope I can put Neil onto some decent fish and he wants a Kingie of any size so wish us luck.

Maybe some photos to come.

Frank

• Like 1

Goodluck Frank and Big Neil 

I look forward to your report !!!

You haven't asked for any marks so i assume you already have your trip mapped out but just incase here are some pointers!

1. La perous drop off/bombora ( ps be careful in this location and check swell/wind)

2. Molinx point and the rock wall

3. Bay markers east of molinx point

4. The drums

5. The end of the runway

Screenshot_20190131-124032.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys I'm sure things at least safety wise will be up to scratch, fish wise is anyones guess but I will do what I can to put Neil onto something worth while.

" Going Fishing " I have been fishing the bay since I was a kid ( now 72 ) but thanks for the advise it's always good to see people looking after your best interest and there's always something to learn no matter how long you have been doing something.

I remember Molly before the place was built out, used to be a top fish reef and it's where I caught my first Hairtail back in about 1964, the bay has changed heaps in my time and most of it not for the better.

Frank

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, frankS said:

Thanks guys I'm sure things at least safety wise will be up to scratch, fish wise is anyones guess but I will do what I can to put Neil onto something worth while.

" Going Fishing " I have been fishing the bay since I was a kid ( now 72 ) but thanks for the advise it's always good to see people looking after your best interest and there's always something to learn no matter how long you have been doing something.

I remember Molly before the place was built out, used to be a top fish reef and it's where I caught my first Hairtail back in about 1964, the bay has changed heaps in my time and most of it not for the better.

Frank

I was 2 in 1964

Good luck @frankS & @big Neil, I was hoping to join you guys either Friday or Monday but as usual work got in the way for Friday & a last minute thing came up Monday.

As I mentioned to BN, the kings that are still around are a bit more finicky than they were earlier in January & I recon you will need some livies to get onto a king.

Plenty of the bread & butter fish around the usual places.

Have fun guys, & look forward to the report :thumbup: 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Ok I miss quotes by a small margin, it was 109kph, according to Nine news on the today show this morning.

Thank you.

Hope BN and frankS still find a way to get a kingie.

Does anybody know any webcams in botany bay area for weather conditions?  

Well folks! I just got back home from Sydney and started catching up with a few posts on Fishraider. I called in to see Frank on Thursday and we arranged an early assault on Botany Bay, for dawn Friday. Not sure who was supposed to contact the person in charge of the weather...neither of us did. It was obvious that the wind was a major problem for us so we waited around for hours before deciding to launch the boat. Frank took it for a few laps at Kyeemagh and it went well. Frank is an absolute whizz at fixing things, adapting things and getting broken things working. However, he isn't a miracle worker and could do nothing about the wind and the rather large waves which greeted us when we ventured into the bay. We tried to wait for the windy conditions to subside but to no avail. We thought that we may have a chance if we went to Foreshore boat ramp, it being much nearer to where we intended fishing. As we pulled up there we were greeted by a boat gingerly managing the waves and towing something behind it. A guy approached and explained that he and another mate were capsized the previous night whilst kayaking and had to be rescued by helicopter. The guy's kayak was being towed behind the boat, which was having great difficulty trying to berth at the ramp. We waited a while longer and pulled stumps, it being obvious that we weren't going fishing. Many thanks to Frank for the massive effort which he put in to try to get us out fishing. Alas, it wasn't to be. Here's a few pics of Frank doing "wheelies" in his boat. Cheers, bn

20190201_081421.thumb.jpg.f4b5ccf257af65265f5c351604d498f4.jpg

20190201_083812.thumb.jpg.74150932539f689ff71f4b3ded5d58c5.jpg

20190201_083839.thumb.jpg.faa53b8733f1a2d287e164b276b7b6ba.jpg

• Like 1

Absolute legend Frank is. Wouldn't meet a nicer bloke, who is prepared to help anybody! Helped me out a few times, and sure ain't wrong BN he can fix anything and when I've been to his place he has a lot of home made gadgets for getting the job done. 

Love ya Frank and hope you are well mate. 

• Like 1