Friday 15th Feb 2019 - Sydney

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

I decided I had to get away from work so I did an overnight trip starting Thursday.

I packed and left home at about  11:00am on Thursday and headed over to the spit.

It was a very leisurely affair as I had no intention of any serious fishing until Friday.

I chased a few boils around  Sugarloaf Bay which turned out to be small tailor before heading up to Bantry Bay. That was fun and very relaxing.

When I got to Bantry Bay I hitched the boat to the last mooring and tossed a few lines in while I set up my tackle for Friday morning which I planned to spend at Long Reef.  I also put the clears on the bimini in case it rained overnight and made some room for my bed roll.

I had the sounder on and it was a hive of activity.10653518_secondMarks.thumb.jpg.96066e7041db010f815f299d822bea90.jpg

There we a lot of yakkas close to the surface mulling around my burley trail  and rat kings spooking them from time to time.

I had a couple of unweighted lines with strip baits out and both of them got smashed by small kings which was a lot of fun on bream lines.

I think I have a GoPro of this which I will add to the post later.

After the action subsided I whipped out the chips and a coldie and just sat and took in the sights. Later I cooked a steak on the portable stove and crashed at about 9:am listening to the radio.

I was up at 4am burleying the Yakkas up and catching a dozen or so in record time.  I headed down to the Harbour and over to Long Reef and was about an hour before sunrise. It was pitch black on the way - very spooky in a small boat I have to say.

I anchored in about 30 meters just off the wall and started burleying heavily hoping for some snapper.

This is what the sunrise looked like an hour or so later...

sunrise.thumb.jpg.b34d236253c750f52a046f69238423f6.jpg

Now we all know that you need to commit to the burleying process and not just abandon it if you don't get instant results but after about 2 hours with no bites and not even a mark on the sounder moved in closer to the reef and started again.

The swell was supposed to be 1 meter but it felt more and no doubt impacted by the inactivity I started to feel a little off colour.

I have never seen Long Reef so devoid of fish... bugger all marks on the sounder and barely a touch on any of the baits. I wasted another 2 hours and eventually gave up and headed to the FAD. Water temp was around 22.

When I reached the FAD I took a look in close first and tossed a pichard cube towards it. I could instantly see there were Dollies around it so I dropped down a livey and drifted slowly away ( I usually get the larger ones a little further away from the FAD itself). At about 30 meters from the FAD I got hit by a legal fish which did all kinds of acrobatics although it was pretty quickly on the boat. I was sitting on a doughnut for the day so I kept that one for a feed.  I moved back in closer to the FAD and enticed a dozen more fish with SP's, lives and pilchard cubes. Eventually, they seemed to go off the bite so I left for my flathead grounds.

I got to my flathead spot at about 11:00 am and after a few hours I half a dozen Blue Spots to add to the haul.  (I can't count how many 20cm ones I caught) It was pretty bumpy out there so I wouldn't call it relaxed angling but it was worth it.

All in all, it was a great couple of days but I have to say I am shattered and the world hasn't stopped moving yet. Half the time I feel like I am still riding the swell and the other half of the time  I am swinging around the anchor in the wind!

Here's an upsidedown picture of the catch.

fish.thumb.jpg.dd4846121ab029ca28eb1542a4d8e904.jpg

Just fed the family deep fried flathead. Going to give the Dolly fillets a go in the smoker tomorrow.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister
  • Like 10

Great report those solo sessions are good to clear the head and relaxing but can be tiring,I headed outside today & found same conditions as you dead on the reefs, seas bigger than forecast & flatties were slow but managed to bag out with lots of little spikies in between, be curious to hear how the dolly tastes I’ve never smoked one

Great report Jim. At least you managed a feed and spent some quality time on the water! I’m very lucky I don’t suffer from sea sickness but I know what your talking about the motion thing!! Especially when the bed keeps swinging side to side. Haha 🤣 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Hi Jim. Thought I was reading a 12 months old post till I realised the mistake. Anyhow great read and some fine fish after many hours on the boat. I used to enjoy an overnight camp in the boat but too old for those antics these days. Think it's a shame to smoke the Mahi as they are delicious shallow fried or baked, enjoy whatever way you do it.

Frank

10 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Great report those solo sessions are good to clear the head and relaxing but can be tiring,I headed outside today & found same conditions as you dead on the reefs, seas bigger than forecast & flatties were slow but managed to bag out with lots of little spikies in between, be curious to hear how the dolly tastes I’ve never smoked one

Thats reassuring...  I was tempted to think I was doing something wrong.

10 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Great report Jim.... some great eating fish u got there. 

Why do u sleep in the boat as opposed to just waking up early for the day?

I just like the relaxing day out fishing on the first day where I don't really have anything to do. I just cruise about upriver from the Spit in calm water, flicking a few lures and soaking up the sun. Mooring up in Bantry bay , I watch the boats come and go, tend a couple of fishing lines and have a couple of beers and a steak as the light starts to fade. I stay up until about 10 am and watch the stars, listen to the radio and contemplate the next day on the water.

The next day it's up a 3am or so giving myself enough time to get some bait and motor out in the dark to Long Reef where I am bounced around in the dark  and then later, bounced around while fishing ( you know what its like - always on your feed and bracing against the swell and wind waves while rigging lines and landing fish).  It's a lot more hectic and certainly lots of fun but the whole day of serious fishing is pretty full on.

Maybe next time I will do it the other way so I can relax after the fishing and not have to go home and clean the boat etc after the long fishing day.

OMG... why didn't I think of that before!

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Howdy Jim. What an enjoyable read... accompanied by a few pictures to finish off your report. A lovely reward for your efforts too. Hope the Dolly exceeds your expectations (on the plate). Cheers, bn

Thanks Neil

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Great report Jim. At least you managed a feed and spent some quality time on the water! I’m very lucky I don’t suffer from sea sickness but I know what your talking about the motion thing!! Especially when the bed keeps swinging side to side. Haha 🤣 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Yes Jeff, it was an unplanned mini break from work.  I got caught out by the higher than predicted swells -I could have taken a Qwell as a precaution but I didn't. If the fish had have been on at the time  I wouldn't have noticed it!

Good work there Jim, a nice feed and a fairly relaxing time.

Slept in my tinny overnight many years ago, not comfortable.

A mate took me outside Port Hacking in his boat last night, 2 reddies, 5 small tailor, a throw back kingie and salmon. Stacks of yakkas and slimies about in the burley but nothing much else. Noticed the moon was about 3/4 full, some nights can be off-putting for the fish.

2 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Great report! What size and type of boat do you have? I’d like to overnight on my boat, possibly up at Broughton Island but at 4.49m it would be tight, but doable. No cover though!

I gave a 5.9 Quintrex Lazeabout with bimini and front and side clears.  To get ready for a nights sleep I lift the passenger seat of its pedestal and prop it over the anchor well so I get a little more space and then just put down a self-inflating mattress. I have a real pillow ( I am getting soft in my old age)  and a fleece sleeping bag.

There is plenty of space to set it up in advance and keep fishing for a few hours after dusk.

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Very nice report Jim 

Thanks Donna.

19 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Good work there Jim, a nice feed and a fairly relaxing time.

Slept in my tinny overnight many years ago, not comfortable.

A mate took me outside Port Hacking in his boat last night, 2 reddies, 5 small tailor, a throw back kingie and salmon. Stacks of yakkas and slimies about in the burley but nothing much else. Noticed the moon was about 3/4 full, some nights can be off-putting for the fish.

Yes... was a little uncomfortable for me too but mainly because my compact inflatable mattress is a little thin.

I have no idea what put the fish off at Long Reef - I have never seen so little bait around Longy but so much in the harbour.

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Hi Jim. Thought I was reading a 12 months old post till I realised the mistake. Anyhow great read and some fine fish after many hours on the boat. I used to enjoy an overnight camp in the boat but too old for those antics these days. Think it's a shame to smoke the Mahi as they are delicious shallow fried or baked, enjoy whatever way you do it.

Frank

LOL...  Some people accuse me of living in the past Frank!

I fried up one  Mahi fillet this morning for breakfast and I will smoke the other one.

BTW, I downrigged  along the wall at Long Reef with the bomb you gave me - it seems to track a lot better in turns than my ball shaped bomb. 

Thanks again for that

• Like 1

Jim. Glad you are pleased with the bomb, you can adjust it so it actually flows out the side of the boat so it get's nowhere near the motor which is advantage on turns and it doesn't roll around on the floor when not in water.

Cheers Frank

1 hour ago, blaxland said:

Awesome I will have to try something similar do you use a swag?

Nope... just a thin self-inflatable mattress and a fleece sleeping bag.

Depending on the temperature I may wear trackies.

I get plenty of sleep but I do wake up a little sore ( but that just because I 'aint no spring chicken any more!)

Cheers\

Jim

Just now, sam bros said:

Top effort there. Unlucky on the kings 

I have done the overnight sleep in middle harbour and early morning fish a couple times.

It is really relaxing and quite enjoyable, enjoying a meal under the stars

Actually, one of the kings was legal at 68cm. He went back but the other straighten the hook and got away.

I had a steak already planned so fish was never on the menu - would have been way too much to eat anyway so back in the drink she went!

Cheers

Jim

47 minutes ago, MerryFisher said:

I did the same but a day earlier. Slept on the boat Wednesday night and fished the fad on Thursday morning. Different result though. Couldn't find any dollies, but got onto two trag jew instead.

Simon

WeChat Image_20190218073434.jpg

Well Done!

How were you fishing for the Trag? ... on the bottom?

Did the snapper also come from the FAD?

Cheers

Jim