Bellambi Reds & Northern Beaches Bottom Bash

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

A late report from Saturday, which turned out to be a big day on the water. After a tough few weeks chasing beakies without success, we decided to take a break and do a bottom bash at our usual haunt off the northern beaches. I hadn't caught a mixed bag since early January so we were excited and headed out with 3 onboard at first light. 

We found the flatties on the chew big time, some good fish amongst them and a few decent sized flounder too in the shallows (15m of water). Dad also managed a nice rat king which went 61cm, put up a good tussle on the paternoster rig and took a prawn right at the bottom.

Headed home early and on the way got a call from a mate who said he had purchased a second hand Stejcraft SeaSport and was heading out to give her a maiden run, he wanted someone with some experience to be onboard on his first trip and he was keen on Bellambi. I politely informed him that Bellambi isn't really the best ramp for learning to launch and retrieve but he was adamant, he had heard of some reds taken a few days prior and was desperate to get out. As it happens the wife was out with the kids and wasn't due back until late arvo. Albeit a long drive, I reluctantly agreed.

It was a late afternoon session and the wind was blowing a good 12-15 knots, we managed to drop the boat in the water relatively painlessly and we were off. I was surprised at how well the Stejcraft handled what I thought to be average conditions for a circa 4.5m boat, the 90HP merc pushed it along very nicely but we were taking it easy.

We set up the sea anchor and deployed our baits in 30m of water, well..…… my reluctance was soon forgotten when Ralphs first drop was absolutely nailed by a nice red, it wasnt a 80cm beastie as Scratchie but at 55cm it was a decent fish for us Sydney folk ( at that size i think Scratchie calls them "pannies" 😂) What followed was a insane session where we boated some good size reds between pan size up to 60cm. we threw back plenty of undersize too. Got back to the ramp as the sun came down and I was absolutely knackered. I certainly felt it the next day ! Old mate Ralph was over the moon and is now an addicted fisherman. 

After 7 weeks of chasing beakies without success, it was good to scratch that itch. Back to chasing beakies next week.!

Thanks for reading.

Sam

20190304_212148.jpg

IMG-20190302-WA0008.jpg

20190304_211636.jpg

20190304_210405.jpg

20190304_222535.jpg

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Definitely been tough fishing for beakies off Sydney, frustrating when you see all the reports of down south absolutely firing too. Still some good water pushing down, may be a short but good run of inshore blacks soon.

• Like 1

Cracking day out on the water Sam! Nothing wrong with those “pannies” at all. 

I say that because snapper grow expedentially. You’ll hit a big one soon and see what I mean. I’ve nearly had the rod ripped out my hand a few times! 

Keep working hard on those beaks and you’ll land another soon enough! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

Great report Sam. You’re a trooper turning around to head back out and give your mate a hand. Awesome reds there for Sydney mate - we’ll have to tag team drifts across that spot one day.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

20 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

What a great report well done top photos should have a top feed there Sam 

Thanks mate

19 hours ago, Welster said:

What an awesome way to christen a boat.   Great report

Cheers. That stejcraft was a really good riding boat.

3 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

Definitely been tough fishing for beakies off Sydney, frustrating when you see all the reports of down south absolutely firing too. Still some good water pushing down, may be a short but good run of inshore blacks soon.

Me and the guys are considering heading down to jervis this weekend but i dnt know if thats "south" enough. We want to do a single day trip and back. The wife has given her blessings. In ecchange for a lunch date on sunday and i organise the baby sitter and deal with bookings etc...hmmm id say i got a bargain !!

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Cracking day out on the water Sam! Nothing wrong with those “pannies” at all. 

I say that because snapper grow expedentially. You’ll hit a big one soon and see what I mean. I’ve nearly had the rod ripped out my hand a few times! 

Keep working hard on those beaks and you’ll land another soon enough! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers Scratchie ! The beakie addiction is a painful one i have to say. Its proving to be both mentally and financially difficult!!!!!!!!!!! 

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Great report Sam. You’re a trooper turning around to head back out and give your mate a hand. Awesome reds there for Sydney mate - we’ll have to tag team drifts across that spot one day.

Cheers Zoran

Cheers Zoran ! Happy to share ! I still have the coordinates compliments of navionics. I can PM them to you if your interested in doing a trip down south. I just cant promise you they will be there again !!! 

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

Great read and a great day.

Cheers mate thanks

30 minutes ago, Ryder said:

A couple of very productive sessions.

Well done.

Thanks Ryder

Edited by GoingFishing