Grandsons’s first dollie

hookerbruce

My grandsons have been very keen to try and catch a dolphin fish, with several trips aborted because of weather being not suitable.

Yesterday the weather gods smiled on them and they got to go out wide. Launched from Grays Point at 7:00 am tried a couple of spots before we managed 10 live yellow tail baits. Moved out to Jibbon bommie for a while trued for kings while we checked out the sea conditions, a little bit of north east slop left over from the night before. Time to go younger one was a little concerned when we went over a couple of hollow waves and the boat landed with a bang as only a tinnie can. After about 5 Kim the seas flattened out and a much smoother ride. Saw plenty of dolphins on the way.

Couple of stops to refresh the bait and we arrived at the fad, couple of boats but not much action visible. Stopped about 100m before fad and baited up the lines, a 3kg and a 4 kg mono outfits. Both live baits deployed and I cast out a Pilchard on a 3 kg out fit. 

Tripple hookup on light gear fish going in all directions around each other, carefully going under and over each other managed to land all three fish. Mine went straight back the boys both landed there first dolphin fish. Stayed about hour and a half boys landed plenty and kept 4 each 65-70 cm. 

On way back in came across what we think was a pilot whale it stood out because it was white. We could not get close enough to get a photo it was moving north fast and very shy.

Stopped at the flathead grounds for a quick drift and kept enough for a meal for those who don’t eat dollies. Back home boys want to know when we can go again.

thanks.            Bruce

20190424_103241.jpg

20190424_142048.jpg

Edited by hookerbruce
photo
  • Like 8

Great stuff Bruce, excellent fish on light gear for the young fellows. Now you've made them even keener.

As for the Pilot Whale we were out on Friday and just on the East side of Merrys and saw what I recon was a False Killer Whale very close to the boat, it was "Big" with a stubby dorsal and all black as well as plenty of Dolphins to.

Well done Bruce, great to see the next gen coming through.

I hope they enjoy the eating as much as the catching? 

If not Im sure it will be a matter of time.

I am sure they just enjoy being out there having a great time with pop :thumbup:

Edited by kingie chaser

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

???

Why is that BG??

I can think of other fish I would rather eat but do enjoy them all the same as they are an easy catch species.

He just only likes beer battered flathead fillets. Don’t know why but he won’t try anything else!

What a thrill for the young fellas getting out there and onto some quality fish. Not easy landing anything when they're whizzing around trying to tangle the lines. 3 from 3 is magic. They will remember the trip for their entire life Bruce...top stuff mate. bn

On 4/24/2019 at 9:17 PM, Blackfish said:

Great stuff Bruce, excellent fish on light gear for the young fellows. Now you've made them even keener.

As for the Pilot Whale we were out on Friday and just on the East side of Merrys and saw what I recon was a False Killer Whale very close to the boat, it was "Big" with a stubby dorsal and all black as well as plenty of Dolphins to.

Thanks Gordon the kids love fishing on wed they caught dollies then flathead, then as soon as we got to the slow zone they started baiting up their lines to fish at the ramp.

The one we saw was about twice the size of a large dolphin. Head and body vivid white with a little bit of grey just near the tail. Think some type of albino. Couldn’t get close enough to get a photo 

Bruce

Good effort for little guys to manage dollies and good of grandad to take them out . More Fishraiders in the making.

Are you heading up to Weipa this year Bruce? I'm booked in for the week commencing 1 June. Looks like they've had a good wet this year with their three cyclones, unlike the NT that seemed to miss out on most of the rain.

cheers

Fil

32 minutes ago, LuckyFil said:

Good effort for little guys to manage dollies and good of grandad to take them out . More Fishraiders in the making.

Are you heading up to Weipa this year Bruce? I'm booked in for the week commencing 1 June. Looks like they've had a good wet this year with their three cyclones, unlike the NT that seemed to miss out on most of the rain.

cheers

Fil

No Weipa for me this year doing Iceland and Scandinavia so no money left. Do a few trips to South West Rocks and maybe southern Qld. Looking at Weipa next year maybe.

Bruce 

Hi Bruce,

Just new to this forum.

What an excellent adventure for the grandsons. Good keeper size dolphin fish. We took our new Bar Crusher out last Monday for the first time to the Sydney East FAD. The first for the boat, first for us, my wife and son. We used lures as this is what a work colleague suggested we fish dollies for. We caught 4 undersize. My son got a 59cm, so close, but had to go back. There were a couple of other boats around, they were baiting up. We ran into one of them back at the ramp, he was using freshly caught squid and caught 5 at 65-70cm.

We went back out on ANZAC day but didn't get there till 12.30pm. There were 3 spearfishers in the water when we arrived. After they left we got to work with live yakkas, and ganged pillies. Not even one bite. At around 2.30pm we tried with the lures again till 4.30pm, nothing. Was a little disappointing. 

A couple of questions, do they go off the bite in the afternoon We were the only boat there from 2.30pm?

Did you go to the Sydney South FAD?

And just roughly, where are the flathead grounds that you stopped at? We have picked up a good feed just north of the artificial reefs off Jibbon point a couple of months ago. I understand if you would rather not say.

Thanks so much for your help,

Kind regards,

Craig.

Dollie.jpg

• Like 2