Jyndabine lake trolling

61 crusher

Left Sydney Wednesday morning & had a great run down to Jyndabine arrived at 1:30pm with a fair bit of wind blowing & unpacked the car & sorted out the boat while the snow came down, on the water by 3 & the snow turned to sleet, punched up to Thredbo & snowy river arm & put a spread out of some hardbodys & tassies, got a hit on one of the hards that didn’t stick & 15mins  later a good hit on a tassie with line peeling & drops off damn, a while later we pick up a 30cm+ rainbow that we return to the fish gods hopefully to give us some good luck, that was it for the arvo. Next morning on the water before 7am the winds still blowing so back up to the arms for 3 more dropped fish, hooks not sticking we’ve never experienced this before 6 hits for one fish, used losing a few lures but not this many fish, we keep plugging away and it’s all quiet on the boat all of a sudden one of the rods goes off & in comes a nice mid 40s brown, a little while later another low 30s 🌈 comes in & gets released hopefully to keep the good mojo going, morning session done. That afternoon the wind had backed off so we tried around the clay pits & the islands near by for one 48 cm brown. Friday fished a couple of other spots as the wind had shifted for 4 browns ( 1x34cm released) & a rainbow           B79F85B7-5238-43EB-82FF-7EFF3E6D7065.thumb.jpeg.45b3ea6d3686c0aa2b1c0c6065c628bd.jpegSaturday morning running into Sids bay we got a double hook up on the hardbodys (rainbow & a brown) later on with a few more fish onboard we got another double hook up which surprised us as this is our seventh or eighth year of coming down & had only one other double. The lake was glassed out over the weekend & for a while I was  in a tee shirt & vest grabbing some rays262EF428-AF31-4CAB-8940-7EAD0569E710.thumb.jpeg.c25c428e91a77ca413bb56c16b928b44.jpegthe rest of the weekends catch At one stage of the trip we commented that we hadn’t picked up at least one salmon over the course of the trip as usually we get a couple, well anyway Sunday afternoon the wind starts up again as the light starts disappearing & getting chilly 🥶, I’m on strike & driving the boat & make a sharp turn to avoid some narly structure in 35 feet of water & one of the rods goes off and the reels singing, I grab the rod & start fighting a good fish next thing we see a donkey of a fish jumping out the back but my lines heading in a different direction we look around and another rods buckled over my mate grabs the rod “what the f@k” another double hook up, I’m fighting my fish steering the boat because of the wind my mates struggling with his fish and trying to get the net all this is happening while two lines are still out & we’re trying to keep clear of the lines, my fish is near the boat & I have my rod between the 2 rods still out on the starboard rod holder when one of them bends over & starts peeling luckily that one didn’t stick as that would’ve been total bedlam with two of us on board, all the while I’m in & out of gear to help us gain control and line, I grab the net in one hand with my rod still between the other two rods and manage to net a good almost 3kg fish and as I lift it up one of the trebles gets caught and the fish flips out & bends the other treble and gains his freedom, no time to think I gain control of the boat & put her back into neutral & net the other fish & as I lift the net it flex’s big time must be close to 4kg and measured 73cm a quick couple of happy snaps of the clipped salmon (ex brood stock) & he decides to release it, double high fives, just as well no room in the freezer 😀,we trolled on into the dark but no more hits, what a great way to finish up our trip, I swear I was still shaking with adrenaline a good 10mins after  releasing that salmon 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great report mate :thumbup:

And you managed one of those Gadden farm beauties by the sound of it.

Although tempting to keep(would have still been tasty!) its a nice karma thing I think to let something go that has been in captivity for some time & yeh you look like you had enough for the smoker or the pan 😊

Do you ever use a down rigger??

I've read that some people like to use them down there as the fish can be quite deep at times?

Look forward to hearing about the trip in person soon 😉

That’s going to be a tough record to beat @RedSeaFisho    @Scratchie It’s just like marlin fishing you put out a spread of lures, long corner, long rigger etc you can even run a shot gun if there’s enough bods onboard (have run up to 7 lures) and wait for a hit😀

On 6/4/2019 at 5:48 PM, Slawman said:

What a great trip, thanks for sharing.  I am tempted to do the run myself now.....:)

Worth the effort relaxing  & nice clean mountain air, & the fish taste great smoked, blackened(Cajun mix), etc

20 hours ago, nbdshroom said:

Awesome fish. I like the sound of that manic moment with the multiple hook ups and boating struggles. Well done.

Definitely heart in mouth stuff

13 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks for the very detailed report. Never ceases to amaze me that (particularly freshwater) there's nothing happening for ages and then it's like somebody throws the switch! Great trip. bn

You can run over the same ground for ages & see the odd mark on the bottom then they’re higher in the water column & you know they are going start biting 

23 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Do you ever use a down rigger??

I've read that some people like to use them down there as the fish can be quite deep at times?

Look forward to hearing about the trip in person soon 😉

Yeah during the day in the deeper water but the trees can play havoc sometimes even with hardbodys, you might be in 50 foot of water & all of a sudden one creeps up to just 10ft under the surface & you do an evasive turn & run over more trees & hope for the best. Yeah getting excited now & can’t wait for hopefully some good snapper & the get together 😎👍

F0AF28D8-EF07-4DB4-80BA-0C6FB1D1593A.thumb.jpeg.1ca622a600a95c42f032c96694802a2a.jpeg

Couple of more photos of the trip & if you zoom in on the one below you’ll see the white kangaroo on the waterline 03E94580-A460-47A1-9171-B0EAF7C91D80.thumb.jpeg.544af221d6e7be354b3858f8ce852e7e.jpeg

A98F8633-59B2-4951-BFE9-D35D3BC6C89D.thumb.jpeg.19d4b7c70870c8f3a7e1a0476357b799.jpegalso in our travels around the lake we came across a white kangaroo, not albino might’ve been an old one & sea eagle5D7C9781-0D4A-4630-8D12-05270B965AD9.thumb.jpeg.61287668c2f3fa337bb8c41448283154.jpeg

Edited by 61 crusher
  • Like 2