Buying a boat etiquette

Bryson

3 minutes ago, xerotao said:

Nothing wrong with test driving a boat. You would test drive a car before you purchase.

Cheers for the reply mate, we were thinking that just weren’t sure. He’s seen the boat and is definitely gonna buy it if all is well on the water. 

You'd better crazy not too. Too many things you can't tell from a visual. 

Even better, get some one who has had a boat for years to come out with you. Seemingly small issues can cause big drama And be expensive to fix. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Normal to try before you buy. If an owner refuses to give you a water test walk away.It pays to take someone that knows boats with you so you don't fall in love with the first one you see. 

Remember it's a buyers market out there and good deals can be had for those patient enough especially at this time of year.

Good luck to your mate in his purchase.

• Like 3

100% take someone 'experienced' with you. Ideally someone who is familiar with that type and style of boat. Taking ya mate who has only ever had an old creek based tinnie to look at a top of line fibreglass cabin boat is just as crazy as asking ya other mate with only glass boat experience to test a estuary or bay style open to tinnie.

Things to check, not exhaustive, but a start, others will chime in:

- how much water comes out of the bung when back at the ramp?

- does the motor cavitate (ventilate) and if so when, how bad, etc.

- does the motor start from cold ok (might be hard to test as the seller might warm it up at home)

- any flat spots in acceleration or other unusual nuances with motor sounds.

- any water in fuel filters at end of the trip. Assuming none at start, and particular important if under floor fuel tanks.

- how does VHF radio sound, do a radio test to local boats and or VMR.

- does the hour meter measure true. Check hours at start and end of trip. 

- how much fuel did it use? Make sure tank is full at start and fill up tanks at end if there is no fuel sensor on the motor.

- does it launch and retrieve ok? Get stuck or winch on hard work?

- assess on water stability, space, movement based on intended use. 

Good Luck and keep us posted. 

We like pictures too!

I've never taken a boat out for a test drive, which is advisable though. I've owned about 30+ different boats since buying my first 43 years ago and only had one lemon, which was bought new from a Sydney dealer.

Personaly I just enjoy experiencing different boats and always feel like trying something new, like I do again now !!!!

I would highly recommend taking someone along who has boating experience and never take anyone's word or photots on condition untill you actually see the boat. 

Older outboards with few hours arent like cars, often a well used and maintained outboard with hundreds of hours can be better than a ten year old model with 100 hrs, which has sat with salt in its cooling system for years.  Outboards that are used comercialy can often reach up around 8000-10000hrs. I had one boat with a 10 year old Honda 90 which needed replacement bellow 250hrs. Ask what the owners wash down procedures were, engine flush and powerhead anode replacement. Asking an owner to remove a powerhead anode while you put them on the spot will show if they've been looked after.

Also pay careful detail when checking any trailers and breaking system if it has it. Also take a look at the thread I recently started on trailers, just because you might buy an outfit without breaks doesn't mean it's legal once fully loaded. I bought a Formula 15 without breaks from a policeman but then found I needed to fit breaks to be legal. 

This is very informative on corrosion https://bbsc.org.au/resources/Documents/Marine-Galvanic-Corrosion-Made-Easy-SYC.pdf and should give you a few ideas what to look for.

Checking the little things such as do the radio controls work, steering move fully and easely etc, its not the end of the world finding a few issues, itssimply more negotiating power. Negotiations on every boat I've ever bought have been far different from buying cars. Simply search for the same model you are looking at and mention the lowest prices you've found and work from there. The last two boats I've bought started on boatsales close to $40000 and dropped well over $10000 In the first email negotiations. 

There are hundreds of bargains out there just as much as there are dodgy deals, good luck.

Do you have any idea on the sort of boat you are looking for as I know someone who has a very well maintained outfit who uses the same mechanic as me. The boat has a trailer I believe has only been in the water once. He upgraded to an icom vhf recently and also put a Lowrance sounder which I shared hundreds of fishing spots to for this part of the coast ( Narooma).

If you want a test drive, that is fine and I would be more than happy to take an interested buyer out for a test run, only after we negotiated a price and they place a deposit. There are too may people out there wanting a boat ride with no commitment.

Also, I have found this very annoying (for me) practice creeping into the used market lately, where people ask you what is you best price. I now place a comment within my advert as follows:-

"Please do not ring or message me asking my best price.... The listed price is clearly visible. If you are interested, please send me an offer or better still come and have a look and then I will be happy to negotiate $$$$...."

17 minutes ago, sydney south said:

If you want a test drive, that is fine and I would be more than happy to take an interested buyer out for a test run, only after we negotiated a price and they place a deposit. There are too may people out there wanting a boat ride with no commitment.

Also, I have found this very annoying (for me) practice creeping into the used market lately, where people ask you what is you best price. I now place a comment within my advert as follows:-

"Please do not ring or message me asking my best price.... The listed price is clearly visible. If you are interested, please send me an offer or better still come and have a look and then I will be happy to negotiate $$$$...."

I agree with all that but not the 1st paragraph, sure negotiate a price on the spot but I don't believe anyone should put a deposit on anything until your back at shore.

Its up to your skills of communication to find out if they are really interested after they have seen it in person & before you even offer a ride.

If someone said tome leave a deposit before boarding then I & I think most people would be walking away!

Edited by kingie chaser

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I agree with all that but not the 1st paragraph, sure negotiate a price on the spot but I don't believe anyone should put a deposit on anything until your back at shore.

Its up to your skills of communication to find out if they are really interested after they have seen it in person & before you even offer a ride.

If someone said tome leave a deposit before boarding then I & I think most people would be walking away!

I agree.If someone told me to leave a deposit before the water test i would tell them to stick their boat you know where.

You don't leave a deposit test driving a car do you?

Absorbing that cost of supplying a water test is part and parcel of being the boat owner wanting to sell his/her boat.

You know if someone is serious about your boat way before it gets to the water test stage.

Looking fwd to hearing others thoughts. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

I agree.If someone told me to leave a deposit before the water test i would tell them to stick their boat you know where.

Absorbing that cost of supplying a water test is part and parcel of being the boat owner wanting to sell his/her boat.

You know if someone is serious about your boat way before it gets to the water test stage.

Agree , but the constant first contact being "will you accept !@#$$-usuallÿ about 50% of what its worth is just ridiculous, , i only discuss price with people who will turn up.

• Like 1

I think the fair thing for both sides is:

* Agree price before visiting - this could be in the form of the advertised price and make it clear whether the price is negotiable or not (on inspection).

* When inspecting, handle all the talk and physical dry inspection then and there. You might even ask to have the engine started on ear muffs to observe how easily it starts and generally motor running. Based on what's there, agree/negotiate a final price pending water test. At this point, the price is accepted unless there is something that emerges during the water test.

* Absolutely test the boat out on the water - observing all the things stated above. Ask questions during the test if something seems odd or different.

* Assuming all went well and expected during the test, exchange money and rego !

Since these are all private sales, there are no rules so transparency upfront just makes for a smoother and fairer deal for both. If you aren't getting the same back from the buyer/seller, start upping the scrutiny!

• Like 1

It all depends on the people and circumstances. If I was buying or selling a boat I’d,

Not negotiate over the phone prior to inspection.   With the possible exception of long distance purchases.

I would be willing to take somebody that appears  genuine for a run in the boat before negotiation or offers if I had some doubts about them I may discuss their intentions.

The exception to this would be if I was looking to purchase a boat I had never been in before I would  explain it to the seller and offer to pay for a sea run to determine if it’s a boat or hull I really like how it goes.   

I think the tricky thing is the payment if it’s electronic somebody either has both the boat and money at one stage and somebody doesn’t.   I kind of feel more comfortable with cash or a bank cheque. 

The boat I sold a few years ago we had three lookers the first two were impressed but it didn’t suit for whatever reason one determined it was bigger than expected and couldn’t store it.   The third looked we arranged a test run to which they bought somebody along with experience.   After the test run they asked for the bank details with no price discussion at all. 

It brings back memories of some of the “immaculate” things I looked at in the trading post days. 

• Like 1

Lots of pitfalls in boat buying, definately a water test, make sure the boat has not been started and warmed up just before you get there, and do a decent run at higher speed to show up possible over heat issues, do a good run, turn motor off, wait 5 minutes and restart, ask for maintenance receipts, do not believe it was just "serviced" without proof, check trailer for rust, or cover up silver paint spots, look for current safety gear, if in doubt, take someone with you that knows how to check transom and floor. One tip I use when buying anything second hand, is to have a general look at his house and yard, and his car, is it neat and tidy? this sometimes can be a clue to how a person looks after his "stuff" buying long distance can be added danger too, not insurmountable, but needs extra care.

• Like 1

++++ to noelm great info ,the sharks are not just in the water """" i must say a well looked after boat is usually a picture of there owner, and you can sense the rest ,good luck and report back what you see out there ,we are all here to help and dont be afraid to ask any questions even if you think they are dum ,thats what raider spirit is all about cheers dunc333

Edited by dunc333

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:03 PM, Fab1 said:

I have sold everything from a 12ft tinny to a 45 foot cruiser. All I want is a fair price for me (the seller) and them the buyer.

I do not tolerate demanding or rude buyers, nor tyre kickers.

Water Testing a boat is way different to test driving a car. A car you can easy drive around a block. A boat you may need to travel some distance to a boat ramp, then after the test you need to  wash boat and trailer flush the motor and then pack away - this all takes a whole lot more effort than a car.

All I request, is some commitment from the Buyer. If they are not happy to provide that commitment, I will also walk away from a sale as a seller.

There is always a genuine buyer out there when you sell at the right price.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:44 PM, kingie chaser said:

I have sold everything from a 12ft tinny to a 45 foot cruiser. All I want is a fair price for me (the seller) and them the buyer.

I do not tolerate demanding or rude buyers, nor tyre kickers.

Water Testing a boat is way different to test driving a car. A car you can easy drive around a block. A boat you may need to travel some distance to a boat ramp, then after the test you need to  wash boat and trailer flush the motor and then pack away - this all takes a whole lot more effort than a car.

All I request, is some commitment from the Buyer. If they are not happy to provide that commitment, I will also walk away from a sale as a seller.

There is always a genuine buyer out there when you sell at the right price.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Lots of pitfalls in boat buying, definately a water test, make sure the boat has not been started and warmed up just before you get there, and do a decent run at higher speed to show up possible over heat issues, do a good run, turn motor off, wait 5 minutes and restart, ask for maintenance receipts, do not believe it was just "serviced" without proof, check trailer for rust, or cover up silver paint spots, look for current safety gear, if in doubt, take someone with you that knows how to check transom and floor. One tip I use when buying anything second hand, is to have a general look at his house and yard, and his car, is it neat and tidy? this sometimes can be a clue to how a person looks after his "stuff" buying long distance can be added danger too, not insurmountable, but needs extra care.

Some very good points here....

1 hour ago, dunc333 said:

++++ to noelm great info ,the sharks are not just in the water """" i must say a well looked after boat is usually a picture of there owner, and you can sense the rest ,good luck and report back what you see out there ,we are all here to help and dont be afraid to ask any questions even if you think they are dum ,thats what raider spirit is all about cheers dunc333

maybe, my dress sense is a mess but my boat, fishing gear and organisation skills are very good!

• Like 2