North Coast Rock & Beach fishing plus Fish ID request

LuckyFil

Just back from a van trip as far as 1770 in QLD and inland to Carnarvon Gorge. Did some rock and beach fishing at a few spots, mainly Hat Head, Broken Head and a kayak charter at 1770.

The kayak charter at 1770 was fun using their peddle powered kayaks flicking plastics in the estuary for flathead. The fish were firing that morning and between the three customers we landed about 10 fish in the first hour from 65cm down to a couple at 35cm but most around 45. (no pics of these as hard to do in the kayak)

Landed a nice 40cm bream and 47cm drummer off the rocks at Hat Head using cunje. There weren't a lot of fish around but what was there were good sized.

IMG_3131.jpg.7e7891c8e1d60992fff3f713b016715d.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg.99d360d477d8b5cb1d18b9988c2cd60a.jpg

At Broken Head (a bit south of Byron) there were plenty of bream off the rocks but lots of small ones amongst them.

I did land an odd fish I've not seen before and hoping a Raider can help with an ID - see pic

IMG_3146.jpg.e3811b571fec68f3027fe82ebaaa5bac.jpg

It was around 40cm long and weighed maybe a kilo. I caught it on a pipi on the edge of sand close to rocks . It looked like it could be edible but as I didn't recognise it I threw it back.

Had a great session with some big tailor off the beach at Brunswick Heads one evening. Average size was 50cm with a couple at 52 mixed in with a few bream and tarwhine The tailor went down well in the smoker next night.

IMG_3425.jpg.cacd600dd704ce2f52501b445bd96a1a.jpg

Speaking of tailor I was spinning up a few off the rocks at HH and hooked what I thought must have been a better sized trevally or kingie, it hung deep and had plenty of weight. Finally got it to the surface in the wash and it was a monster tailor, never seen anything like it. It stuck its head and shoulders out of the water did a big shake and out flew my lure. I just stood there for a few moments , gutted. The guy in the tackle shop at Ballina had shown me a pic of a 10lb tailor he'd caught that week with a beer can beside it for scale. I reckon mine would have been close to that one. Ah well the one that got away...

Back home now and hoping to get a drummer after the big swell drops later this week.

Cheers

Fil

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Yep I'm green as Bro!!! Monster Tailor off the rocks is as good as  it gets. Thanks for the report. I am hearing its an early season for the spotties  & spanish up north - any  reports while you were up there??!! Hoody

2 hours ago, Hoods said:

Yep I'm green as Bro!!! Monster Tailor off the rocks is as good as  it gets. Thanks for the report. I am hearing its an early season for the spotties  & spanish up north - any  reports while you were up there??!! Hoody

No reports of mackerel but they were consistently getting kings from Fish Rock while I was there and there were some good meter  sized fish amongst 'em