Nice flatty released

jenno64

Headed out yesterday into Botany Bay on the yak amid a thousand jetskis and cruisers heading for the outer beaches and coves. Collected a few nippers the day before and a few poddies while I fished the nippers in the shallows. Caught a nice bream on an unweighted nipper and then put down a couple of livies in deeper water for the last hour of the run in. Came up tight on a nice trevally on a nipper drifting out the back and as I released it one of the liveys was smashed. Up came a solid croc which jumped out of the net twice before cooperating. Took a snap and put her back in good shape. Headed home happy and ready to get out there in the new year!

IMG_6463.JPG

Bream.jpg

• Like 9

Good fish there Rob.

I was talking to the owner of the bait shop, northern side of Tom Uglys, and he said one of his customers pulled a flattie, just recently, past the metre mark. It was caught near the Captain Cook bridge while fishing for jews.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pafisho08 said:

Nice Flatty Jenno good to see a release .Would you reveal the spot you trap the poddies ? 

Regds Bob

Bob

I usually get them at a number of sand flat spots on a morning rising tide before the wind comes up. Taren Point, St George Sailing club are worth a go.

56 minutes ago, frankS said:

Nice fish and good release but would have preferred to see the lanyard around the wrist, only takes a twist and you could have a flattie laying on the bottom with a great lump of metal hanging from it's mouth.

Frank

Frank

I was thinking the same but I had my GoPro in my hand which I would normalyy lift the back of the fish. Will do next time:)

Bruce (Hookerbruce) and I have noticed that there are a few more than normal, big flatties to be caught and released this year in the Hacking, the same appears in the Georges and Botany Bay. This looks good for the future, so long as others release these big ones.

I usually release 2 or 3 a year, but this year I have released 7, the biggest at 87 and 88cm (P.B. for me). Mine have all been caught on bait strips (not livies) in the deeper water, though a mate of mine has pulled out more than usual in the shallow waters on lures, up to about 80cm.

13 hours ago, Yowie said:

Bruce (Hookerbruce) and I have noticed that there are a few more than normal, big flatties to be caught and released this year in the Hacking, the same appears in the Georges and Botany Bay. This looks good for the future, so long as others release these big ones.

I usually release 2 or 3 a year, but this year I have released 7, the biggest at 87 and 88cm (P.B. for me). Mine have all been caught on bait strips (not livies) in the deeper water, though a mate of mine has pulled out more than usual in the shallow waters on lures, up to about 80cm.

Yowie

You certainly have pulled quite a few crocs so far this season! I've caught 5 in the 70s since November in 6 trips so pretty happy with the strike rate:) I usually get a few in the 80s up in the Georges but haven't fished it yet this season. Still waiting on getting over the line with the metery:) It's good to read about plenty being released and I'm looking forward to late january when the holiday crowds settle down - it's a circus atm!

• Like 1

Nice Croc as per usual Rob, And great release, botany must be busy, but u seem to find em👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

I’m waiting till the traffic settles on the river to start my 2020 campaign, early morning on a tide change before the JetSki boys wake up , hopefully I can jag a 90 this season on lures.  

Keep your reports coming mate, always look forward to your posts. 

Ribs 

8 hours ago, Ribs said:

Nice Croc as per usual Rob, And great release, botany must be busy, but u seem to find em👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

I’m waiting till the traffic settles on the river to start my 2020 campaign, early morning on a tide change before the JetSki boys wake up , hopefully I can jag a 90 this season on lures.  

Keep your reports coming mate, always look forward to your posts. 

Ribs 

Sounds like a plan Ribs go get '😉em!