Broughton Island snapper

quintrex52

Headed out this morning with the old man to have a snapper sesh on soft plastics out at Broughton Island. As it was his first time he was a bit pessimistic about catching fish on plastics and after Jeff's tuition and a couple of outings I was fairly confident I could deliver, and didnt my old man change his mind quick smart.. 

We arrived to our first spot and collect seven pannies over six drifts. With a good feed in hand we decided to target another reef where bigger snapper seem to frequent. Put on a gulp nemises blue pepper neon and casted up current and on the sink..bang I was on big time. It ran so hard the drag was screaming and I felt a bit powerless to stop it as I was pushing my 20lb outfit to the limit. After a few hairy runs managed to turn its head then half way up the water coloum it snaps.. After a few profanities I wind in to see what went wrong... 

The snapper had worn the uni knot right on the jidhead. Lickng my wounds got back to business and 10mins later hooked another solid fish but this time everything stayed together. 

What a great day it was and to share it with the old man made it even better

IMG_20200106_090203.jpg

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, Aerialangler said:

Awesome stuff well done 

I know what it feels like to lose a big one 

but don’t know what it’s like to redeem myself the same day!! 

good fishing 

Cheers

Its what keeps us coming back for more

• Like 1

No better way of bonding than to teach someone something which they pick up and enjoy. The fact that it was your father is gold. Hopefully you'll have many more successful trips together. Tight lines quintrex52. 

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

Hey Jeremy, nice work there champ! At least your finding them. Sometimes that happens (wearing leader) the only thing I can suggest is to set the hook as hard as you can. On a big fish I may even set it 3 times. 
Didn’t see you up there??? Fair bit of swell on the eastern side of the island. How long you up for? 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

Great report Jeremy, Thanks for the feedback. It’s great to spend time with your dad and “teach the old dog new tricks”. Yet to try soft plastics on snapper, but keen to give it a go. Hoping to get to the Port very soon

• Like 1

9 hours ago, big Neil said:

No better way of bonding than to teach someone something which they pick up and enjoy. The fact that it was your father is gold. Hopefully you'll have many more successful trips together. Tight lines quintrex52. 

Cheers, bn

Defiantly one for the memory banks.. Fingers crossed for more moments like that as fisherman we get many doughnut days. Good luck to you aswell

8 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Hey Jeremy, nice work there champ! At least your finding them. Sometimes that happens (wearing leader) the only thing I can suggest is to set the hook as hard as you can. On a big fish I may even set it 3 times. 
Didn’t see you up there??? Fair bit of swell on the eastern side of the island. How long you up for? 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Didn't think I had to as the drag was that tight but I'll try next time.. Even the second fish was hooked in the membrain skin at the top of the mouth didn't peirce the lip 

6 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great report Jeremy, Thanks for the feedback. It’s great to spend time with your dad and “teach the old dog new tricks”. Yet to try soft plastics on snapper, but keen to give it a go. Hoping to get to the Port very soon

Haha it is.. I see why scratchie enjoys putting his mates onto a new style of fishing. Don't think the old man will used bait again 😂 you only need to be showed once by someone experienced and its all it takes

16 hours ago, Aerialangler said:

Awesome stuff well done 

I know what it feels like to lose a big one 

but don’t know what it’s like to redeem myself the same day!! 

good fishing 

It doesn't happen often but when it does it makes them fishless  trips worth it.. All about persevering and patience 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, quintrex52 said:

Didn't think I had to as the drag was that tight but I'll try next time.. Even the second fish was hooked in the membrain skin at the top of the mouth didn't peirce the lip 

Generally, the big dogs don’t bite the lure, they inhale it. Once you get that initial take, set the hook hard and hopefully it lands in the corner of the jaw. It’s where most big snapper are won or lost! The tight  drag is so you can turn it’s head whilst fishing in shallow water! 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodsy1 said:

Great fish Jeremy, sounds like a great day. How long are you at port for?

Woodsy

Just got home a few hours ago @woodsy.. How is the new location change? You should come down sometime soon for a snapper sesh and a few beers with Jeff and I... 

• Like 1