Thursday's trip

hookerbruce

Weather forecast was good so headed offshore to chase dollies and anything else we might find. Stopped near the Bommie and dropped down the bait jigs even managed a new species a pilchard with a red tail which I think is what they call redbait.

Headed out with about 20 small live baits . A few short stops to refresh the water and arrived at fad about 7 am already 7 boats there  a couple of boats were hooked up but most weren't. 

Went over and had first drift past the fad   double hookup landed both fish 1  90cm and one 70cm, continued to have drifts past the fad getting 1 or 2 fish each time till we were out of livebaits. Landed 15 released 6 that were lightly hooked. Ended up very congested with 15 boat including large game/charter boats and divers. The fish were spooked and gone quiet around 930 & we headed in shore caught a flathead for my wife who doesn't like dollies   fished around the Bommie hoping for a king then back into the hacking and home. 

20200130_124552.jpg

• Like 7

Etiquette issues used to happen only on weekends but with the population boom more reliable boats, technology  & divers in the mix curve balls seem to happen more frequently while fishing none the less you got a nice bag amongst the flotilla 

Hookerbruce was fishing with me on my boat.

The dollies made for a good feed with lots given away. It was a good day out and a good chance to fish with dad.

Fish were a good size for this early in the season just a shame so many boats didn't want to share the FAD making it awkward to fish at times and meaning light tackle wasn't an option. 

Will try again next time work, family and weather allow for it.

Ash

Edited by Oscarthebeagle
Spelling
  • Like 1

Nice bag Ash & Bruce but it has to make you wonder...……..

So what is the etiquette out there anyway?

The larger the boat the more influence/weight you have to push others around & screw everyone else??

Or is there some sort of order & consideration of others??

Just curious 😕

On 2/1/2020 at 3:15 PM, Oscarthebeagle said:

Hookerbruce was fishing with me on my boat.

The dollies made for a good feed with lots given away. It was a good day out and a good chance to fish with dad.

Fish were a good size for this early in the season just a shame so many boats didn't want to share the FAD making it awkward to fish at times and meaning light tackle wasn't an option. 

Will try again next time work, family and weather allow for it.

Ash

Thanks for sharing your joint experience guys, I enjoyed reading it. Looks like your end result was the payoff for tolerating the ignorant behaviour of some others in the vicinity. It's one of the downsides of modern society that many have elevated their importance above that of fellow anglers. Courtesy and respect seem to be sadly lacking from some people these days. Job well done. Cheers, bn

On 2/1/2020 at 5:37 PM, kingie chaser said:

Nice bag Ash & Bruce but it has to make you wonder...……..

So what is the etiquette out there anyway?

The larger the boat the more influence/weight you have to push others around & screw everyone else??

Or is there some sort of order & consideration of others??

Just curious 😕

Generally you start your drift up current of the fad, switch you motor off and drift down past it. Once your drift is complete you take a wide berth around the other boats and fad and head back up past the boat at the top of the drift to start yours again.

If everyone does it this way everybody gets a go at them before they get lock jaw. Generally if you're trolling lures you should maintain a wide berth around all the boats and not cut through the drift. I've often found the bigger dollies to be found further away from the fad anyway

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, New Signing said:

Generally you start your drift up current of the fad, switch you motor off and drift down past it. Once your drift is complete you take a wide berth around the other boats and fad and head back up past the boat at the top of the drift to start yours again.

If everyone does it this way everybody gets a go at them before they get lock jaw. Generally if you're trolling lures you should maintain a wide berth around all the boats and not cut through the drift. I've often found the bigger dollies to be found further away from the fad anyway

That all sound fair to me mate :thumbup:

Yet it only takes 1 to make it near impossible for the rest to have a fair go.

A bit like driving in Sydney traffic, someone always thinks they have special privileges!