First Marlin Catch

eyevan

Hi Fishradiers,

Been a while since i've posted.

Went out wide off Sydney on Saturday with a close mate of mine, first time i've ever fished for Marlin and i managed to hook and land my first fish on my first outing.

Length 2.2m - weight approx 80kg-90kg. 

Caught with Stella 18000 and Saltiga popping rod

Kept the fish and it's getting moulded and hung in my man cave.

We also caught few dollies, many were undersize but had a few keepers.

All credit goes to my mate, without him i wouldn't have caught.

Till next time, tight lines.

Cheers,

Ivan

1.jpg

20200229_111944.jpg

• Like 18

Great stuff mate!

mate of mine lost his first marlin after a 30 min fight weekend before last, he’s absolutely gutted, still moping around haha the poor bugger

When they moulded it could you keep the meat at all? Smoked marlin is amazing 👌

Congrats on the capture. Most of the guys who do the fish moulds would already have a mould from a previous fish of all kinds of sizes which is far cheaper than them casting a mould from your own fish. That way you get to have some great fillets rather than wasted fish and save a heap of cash at the same time. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the positive comments guys

JonD - after speaking to couple guys that's what i've decided to do, meat has now been cut up and shared amongst family and friends, i had some last night it was pretty good.

New Signing - Measured from tip of the bill to the middle of the tail, the bill on this fish was quite small for the size of it as my mate who was the skipper caught one a few weeks back which was a smaller fish and had a larger bill. Also, this fish was quite thick, 420mm width and 230mm thick - once again only an estimate as the one my mate caught was smaller and he had it weighed at 79kg.

Cheers

Ivan

47 minutes ago, eyevan said:

Thanks for all the positive comments guys

JonD - after speaking to couple guys that's what i've decided to do, meat has now been cut up and shared amongst family and friends, i had some last night it was pretty good.

New Signing - Measured from tip of the bill to the middle of the tail, the bill on this fish was quite small for the size of it as my mate who was the skipper caught one a few weeks back which was a smaller fish and had a larger bill. Also, this fish was quite thick, 420mm width and 230mm thick - once again only an estimate as the one my mate caught was smaller and he had it weighed at 79kg.

Cheers

Ivan

No worries. When using the weight estimate charts the fish measurement is taken from the bottom jaw to the middle of the tail 👍

Your mates fish might have been a striped if the bill was longer and the fish skinnier