Unusual catch in lake Mac

61 crusher

Got a phone call from a mate today who managed to catch a couple of lost fish with one of his mates today, he was fighting a jewie around 85 cm & as they were bringing it to the net saw a couple of fish  hanging with it my mate quickly got the hooks out & with some bait still on tossed it out & one of them grabbed it but didn’t hook up so tossed it back out & pulls in a 60 cm dolly & the other guy gets a 70 cm dolly, & that was in the lake proper not near the drop over. Will post photos when I get them

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Don't be surprised what fish turn up where not expected. I pulled out a spotted mackerel from Lilli Pilli in the Hacking 10 or more years ago. Not big but big enough to end up on the plate (and very good eating as well).

We shouldn't be overly surprised when we make an "unusual catch in a particular location" really. Fish don't have GPS and while they can usually be found where we expect them to be, there's always the exception to the rule. bn

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Fish don't have GPS 

I'd have to politely disagree with that statement BN.

There are plenty of examples where were fish are spawned, go away from the breeding grounds maybe 1000's of km away & return to the exact same spot to breed themselves.

We probably all know northern salmon to be one & this is something I posted in another thread the other day-

https://www.centennialparklands.com.au/stories/2019/journey-to-new-caledonia

If that's not an internal GPS I don't know what is?

Plenty of fish(including sharks) also have migratory paths they travel each season, of course they might alter their route slightly from time to time based on currents, ocean temps etc.

And then some fish might just get lost...…………….just like humans can 🤣

• Like 1

The warm water from the power stations really messes with them. I heard a report (just a rumour) of a queen fish being caught down near the power stations a few years back. Not sure I believe that one given the queen fish would need to be very lost just to get down this south but the hot water does raise the overall temp of the lake and change the behaviours of the fish. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I'd have to politely disagree with that statement BN.

There are plenty of examples where were fish are spawned, go away from the breeding grounds maybe 1000's of km away & return to the exact same spot to breed themselves.

We probably all know northern salmon to be one & this is something I posted in another thread the other day-

https://www.centennialparklands.com.au/stories/2019/journey-to-new-caledonia

If that's not an internal GPS I don't know what is?

Plenty of fish(including sharks) also have migratory paths they travel each season, of course they might alter their route slightly from time to time based on currents, ocean temps etc.

And then some fish might just get lost...…………….just like humans can 🤣

I stand corrected KC. You are absolutely right in that fish probably have more idea where they are than we do. Thank you for pointing that out. Cheers, bn