Port Stephens- Can’t stop em all

Scratchie

Gday raiders, 

Headed out with the young fella this morning after @tyrone07 pulled the pin due to work. Got to the ramp and pulled up next to @Berleyguts. Quick chat and off we went. Loaded up with a few slimies and headed for the island. Hit our mark and first cast I’m on to a decent fish. Two casts later the boy loads up! Another respectable Broughton snapper. Worked the area for a while and I lost a ripper after a short fight. Changed locations and could see Baz a few hundred meters away. Set the drift and after a few casts get a screaming run. Fight the fish for 5 minutes and not far from the boat, pop!!! There goes another one! In the meantime the boy has landed a few just legal ones that are returned. We do a few more drifts in the area and landed a couple more for the box. Waved bye to baz and changed locations again to which we land a few more just legals. Then we thought we’d try one last location at the sisters to which there were bait balls everywhere! I cast in an area we call “whiskers” and sure enough I load up hard and fight this fish for sometime until it chews through the leader! Damn, I’m positive it’s whiskers! Same area, same fight and he’s done me 5 times now. Grrrr. 
Kept working the bait schools for a few more pannies, some bonito and another lost brut! 
Decided to call it quits and headed home at 30 knots. What another great day in the beautiful Port Stephens! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

2665BC80-FBA4-494B-A28D-F6F0E34BFEE2.thumb.jpeg.e97b041c701d86f44bece4245b5357ff.jpeg

• Like 19

Very nice guys, I feel the hurt to after my experience today losing what was a PB flathead so close to the boat.

Dam that whiskers will have some battle scars & tackle hanging off him when you finally catch up with him 🤣

Still, looks like you all had a great day 😀

• Sad 1

Good on ya Jeff! It was nice to bump elbows at the ramp (no handshakes). You had a much better day than me! I had a day full of tangles, which really slowed me down re-rigging all the time. 🤬 Firstly, a couple of slimies made a mess of my bait jigs. Then, secondly, what looked like a moray eel absolutely destroyed my paternoster. Then, thirdly, I got a knot in the braid on my plastics outfit, so had to strip line off and re-tie the leader. So, I didn’t get in as many casts with the plastics as I’d have liked. 😞 I found a lot of bait early and it looked promising when I saw reds to an estimated 40cm swimming amongst the bait underneath my boat. I only got a couple of hits on the plastic, got a plate sized snapper on bait (perfect size for a whole crispy skinned snapper recipe I want to try), and three nice flathead 40-45cm, which my son will devour. I had two bridled live slimies bitten off behind the head. Talking to you back at the ramp, @Scratchie, you said snapper’ll do that, so maybe it was reds. The same thing happened two weeks ago and I thought it was a shark but, thinking back on it, I did see a large pinkish shape that might have been a big red (I ruled it out at the time as it was on the surface).

Successful or otherwise, it was still great to be out on the water on a beautiful day.  I didn’t think about the current health crisis once but I did enjoy my brief period of self isolation. 😎 I hope to do  it again soon. Looks like you and I get the same second Friday off, so see you out there, Jeff! 😉

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 2

Another great report & photo, nice bag of reds there  Jeff  & son. 😎Sounds like whiskers has got you measured, one tough red there sounds like he might have a special place in the scratchie man cave or would you release him so you could tango with your nemesis again. Good to hear @ Berleyguts is getting out a bit more often 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Woodsy1 said:

Gee I thought I could hear someone swearing today all the way up here.

looked like a great day.

Woodsy

Well, I reckon Scratchie would have heard me several times! I didn’t hear him! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the comments guys! It was a fun day with my son and conditions were awesome! 
@Yowie if you think you can take out whiskers with a 12lb handline, then come on step on up! Haha 😂 

@Berleyguts Baz it was good to see you out on the water! However, I did notice you drove up your drift a few times 🤔 by avoiding this will increase your chances of catching snapper! And you didn’t hear me yell because you were too busy undoing tangles! Lol 😝 Mate, I’ll get you out there soon especially knowing we have the same day off! 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Baz it was good to see you out on the water! However, I did notice you drove up your drift a few times 🤔 by avoiding this will increase your chances of catching snapper! And you didn’t hear me yell because you were too busy undoing tangles! Lol 😝 Mate, I’ll get you out there soon especially knowing we have the same day off! 👍

Thanks Jeff. Yeah, I thought I swung wide enough as I usually try really hard to avoid driving over my drift but when I looked back on my track on Navionics (which I probably wasn’t watching close enough), I was all over the place! I noticed my drift was a bit weird, too and changed a few times.

11 hours ago, Ka-Ching said:

Awesome mate, a welcome piece of reading while in quarantine with my old man :(.

Thank you!

Hope that you and your old man will be ok Ka-Ching (lol) and back on the water soon. Cheers, bn