Stick baits on tuna

JonD

As I did chores at home and on the boat my daughter ( The obsessed one ) headed off chasing tuna for the day. 

For the last week yellowfin seem to of been in good numbers along most of the coast. Today was no exception and it wasn't long before they spotted tuna smashing the surface. It wasn't long before my daughters wish all came together as a hefty yellowfin smashed her lure.

After a 30 minute battle and almost getting spooled a couple of times the fight was won and one very happy little girl.

IMG_4047.thumb.JPG.34c8a7aa4727aa393a76040bd3c01105.JPG

IMG_4056.thumb.JPG.92592a358fa3e6f786288df42909ac45.JPG

IMG_4053.thumb.JPG.f469966ddd5ecc40b3edadadc8544c27.JPG

• Like 22

Awesome photos John those sickles on that barrel are huge 👀 I’m guessing that it went 75kg+ maybe even 80kg & that’s after being bled, the way the sun is shining on the free jumper makes it almost look like it’s been photo shopped, she must’ve been using broomstick gear to get that boat side in half an hour. All I can say  is amazing angling skills for such a light weight 😎👍👍😎 WOW!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Awesome photos John those sickles on that barrel are huge 👀 I’m guessing that it went 75kg+ maybe even 80kg & that’s after being bled, the way the sun is shining on the free jumper makes it almost look like it’s been photo shopped, she must’ve been using broomstick gear to get that boat side in half an hour. All I can say  is amazing angling skills for such a light weight 😎👍👍😎 WOW!!!

The rod was a relativly light spin rod with a Daiwa dogfight, I couldn't pull line from the spool as she had the drag so tight.

5 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Takes me back to the eighties   nice capture

Its funny, Ive seen that exact term used by recreational anglers on facebook who are hitting them day after day.

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Cracking fish :thumbup:

Are you licenced to sell these, if not what do you do with them??

No can't sell them but we only take fish we know we can share among neighbours, which she is doing right now. She did try to release this fish as they already had others onboard (the charter boat she works on ). By the way charters have had the green light to fish but with strict covid regulations, this was more of a staff fishing trip with four onboard.

Edited by JonD
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Fantastic fish, Jon! Your daughter did a great job bringing that in! I know how hard they can go! As said before, reminiscent of the 80s! How wide out?

They've been from the shelf to the seamounts 18-45km.

• Like 1

My best fin many years ago went 97 kg and that one would almost be there abouts. don't know how big your daughter is and angles can play havock with photos. The cycles on mine almost reached back to the tail!! almost. Fantastic catch for your daughter, but I always knew she would do it one day.

Frank

Edited by frankS

2 hours ago, frankS said:

My best fin many years ago went 97 kg and that one would almost be there abouts. don't know how big your daughter is and angles can play havock with photos. The cycles on mine almost reached back to the tail!! almost. Fantastic catch for your daughter, but I always knew she would do it one day.

Frank

My daughter is pretty small, normally can't get much above 50kg due to her running and cycling etc. I wish she had had it weighed as they are underestimating the fish in my opinion, they didn't even measure them.

47 minutes ago, Basswhisperer said:

Awsome 👍👍👍 what charter boat does she work on I would go out with them?

The whole name thing has become very confusing as other operators have purchased simular names which can make it tricky when booking. My daughter was given the Facebook and Instagram accounts access yesterday, so hopefully her input on these will help with the confusion. Hopefully a bit of a website upgrade in the future would help to. This is one of their boats.

_JDP8866.thumb.JPG.e0ee1b1e2b03503ffe1aff0db23f229d.JPG

Your girls a legend Jono - Brilliant catch. Having boated big yellowfin, I know this is no easy task - As a (recently retired) teacher I am always telling the boys that  "Girls can do anything" and constantly remind them also.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Nice looking rig your daughter has as her office, I’m assuming that’s a sight seeing tour onboard 

Yes that was an island tour but the vessel is mostly used for fishing. There's a smaller vessel which has full walk around fishing abilities.

4 hours ago, Lachlan N said:

Hey guys, does anyone know if those lure clips, that allow you to easily sway your lures, turn off the fish, specifically tailor?

@Lachlan Nits not very good etiquette to highjack someone else's thread.

For your questions relating to tackle ect post them here-

https://www.fishraider.com.au/forum/14-tackle-talk/

• Like 1