Looking for a light spinning reel

Leon C

I'm trying to decide on a reel to match my 1-3kg Samaki Archer rod. I currently have a Daiwa BG 2000 on it, which is the nicest reel I've owned. It just feels a bit heavy for this rod, and would be a better match for my 2-4kg rod, which currently shares a crusty old reel with another rod I use for squid.

These two oufits are what I will take with me to fish estuaries from my rowing skiff, which sometimes involves sand-flat wading. It's basically a kayak fishing situation, with much less chance of saltwater dunking. I am mostly throwing small hard-bodies and will probably go for 0.06mm/6lb braid.

Is there anything better than the Shimano Nasci 1000 for similar money?

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 4:30 PM, Rebel said:

Okuma Ceymar C2500 or 3000 or a Shimano Sienna 4000. Both have ten year warranty. Great reels.

Cheers.

Sienna 4000 on a 1-3kg rod?? A bit over-gunned and it probably won't balance well or did you mean 2500?? I use 4000 series Shimanos on the 5-8kg rods with 10 to 15lb braid.

Edited by DerekD

Hi Leon,

I know you mentioned the Nasci but can you confirm the budget or price range you have in mind.

On my 1-3kg I'm using a 1000 reel but in the 2-4kg outfits I like the 2500 sized Shimano reels.

Shimano Sedona 2500 at around $90 - $95 is probably a good starting point. You won't cry too much if they get a dunking. For the $40 over the Sienna you will notice a difference in smoothness.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD

If you fish often and plan on fishing for a long time, I would suggest stretch the budget, that is if your financials allow you to.

You'll find you'll enjoy fishing that much more and you're more likely to look after your gears, compared to cheaper items where you are more likely to treat like trash.

Either way, a Sedona/Sahara/Nasci will still land the same fish as a Stradic, but the stradic will just feel much nicer to use often.

I found with fishing, the more you get into the more you want to fish or in some cases upgrade your gears. So you might end up in a house with 3 low end reels or 1 really nice reel. But as I said, if you dont fish often, then a nice feel reel probably wont make a difference in your life so go the Sedona/Sahara or Nasci

BTW: having owned a Sedona (FE model) in the past and also have the older model Nasci (2013 model), I'd definitely go the Nasci. Its a reel that I still kept today, even though I have no current use for it. I just cant let this one go for some reason.

2 hours ago, joshGTV said:

And I now realise that Fishraider deosn't like us endorsing particular retailers!

We don't advertise the big shops. When we had small tackle shops as sponsors we preferred to give them a go on here. 

It is really easy to look up best prices of anything these days luckily ;)

• Like 1

Hey, hope it's not too late, here are my thoughts having bought too many reels (jokes, you can never have too many reels!):

* Shimano Nasci 1000 is a very nice option - it's basically a Sahara with seal under the drag knob. Given your intended use, it makes sense to get the nasci over the Sahara, even if you are careful to not dunk, you will like cop some spray/splashes. Plus it helps when rinsing down gear after a session. Weight is 210g.

* Alternative is a Daiwa exceler LT 2000. Excellent reel, similar seal and price to nasci, bit bigger capacity (I think) and comes in at 185g!

Both are excellent reels, very smooth, some sealing and high oerformance., And very light (exceler moreso).

20 hours ago, Leon C said:

Hi everyone thanks for the input. I'd like to keep it under $150 unless there is a compelling reason to stretch a bit more.

I don't see the need to spend a lot as there is not much in the way of stresses and strains for light fishing. Actually I have done well with the $50 specials that Daiwa puts out. I also have a Sedona 2500 that's a bit better in quality and hasn't missed a beat.

I have a 4000 Sienna on a 8' Wilson rod 1 to 5kg works well, but I use 3kg Mono. I am not into Braid. I also use a Abu Garcia Promax 3000 on the same rod, very light reel. As I said in another post you do not have to pay $$$$$$$$$$$  if you look around at what is avaiable. Paying big bucks for named gear is not on. I also buy Kasking reels, they are brilliant, especially the Megatron range and prices are great. I don't buy the light range.

New fishing gear is like having a new Girl friend.

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Hi Rebel,

Please elaborate?? No offence meant to the ladies as the following comments could apply to either gender. Everything you learned in the past about how things work may or may not work - there is usually a learning curve. It isn't quite as good as the expectations you have from the sales brochure (Tinder comes to mind). You are short of money and can't work out how you ended up with all these accessories. All shiny and pretty the first few times till things settle down and honeymoon period is over.

Could also go the other way but it was too open a statement.

:1prop:

Edited by DerekD
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

In that case I’ve got quite a few of my old girlfriends still hanging around some of them I’ve totally worn out & have gotten lots of girlfriends since getting married  Please don’t tell my wife! 😂

• Haha 1

@Rebel I've got a fair few of the kastking and piscifun reels (i.e. china reels) and they good for the dollars but that was a while back - mainly before Daiwa came out with the LT range and the Okuma epixor xt exploded after receiving tonnes of praise from a popular YouTube fishing channel. The reason why I say this is that the decent reels from kastking and piscifun (incl. Megatron and Kodiak) are about the $50usd mark , add GST on arrival and given poor exchange rate (before covid, it's worse now) you'd be looking at almost $80. On special you can get a Daiwa Exceler LT for about that price (from the same places you would get the kastking) and man...it's so much smoother and polished. All my Kodiaks (I one in each size) have some sort of grind or raspiness - the feel of a tiny bit of metal scraping or imperfection in the gear. The other reel, the Okuma epixor xt, got lots of attention as an incredible $45USD reel - it has one of the best line lays and it's even smoother than most Daiwa and Shimano low/mid range reels. It is a bit heavier for its size though, so there is a downside.

Edited by anthman

I will not buy Daiwa. Their after sales service is terrible. Kastking Megatron 6000 are $68.00 at the moment delivered.

I have two Megatrons, and never had a problem

I also use the Okuma Ceymar range which are great reels. When I bought them they were under $100.00 each. I am over paying top dollar for Name reels.

5 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I will not buy Daiwa. Their after sales service is terrible. Kastking Megatron 6000 are $68.00 at the moment delivered.

I also use the Okuma Ceymar range which are great reels. When I bought them they were under $100.00 each. I am over paying top dollar for Name reels.

Maybe you could show us some of your recent catches with these reels in fishing reports Rebel!

Cant say I've ever seen you post a fishing report in 1067 posts??

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Haha 2

I have a Stradic 2500fl on a daiwa hyper 3kg. That entire setup feels amazingly light while feeling very sturdy. I almost bought the CI4 or a daiwa td Black although I felt that the Stradic FL feels much more sturdy and rigid. A 1000 size reel might be good but I prefer the 2500 size because they have the bigger spool for better cast range and just feel generally better to spin with and fight fish. 

15 hours ago, Rebel said:

That would be an ok price - where from? From AE (good indicator of China price) it's listed as $49USD -> applying 5% shopback and adding GST and using the current exchange rate (USD$0.642 to AUD$1) that would make the Megatron 6000 around AUD$79 delivered. Would be interested in finding cheaper sources if they exist.

Not that ive had first hand experience with Daiwa service (all my Daiwa reels never had a need to be returned for service), but I have read that Daiwa service may have been bad but recently (2years?) people's experience has changed for the positive. I can't confirm but just going off what's posted on the forums (I say this upfront because otherwise I'm just propogating something read rather than experienced). When was your service experience with Daiwa? I'd also argue that even if the Daiwa service is as bad as you say, it would still be better than returning a reel back to kastking (overseas!) compared a Daiwa reel that is much more refined and costs around the same price (if not a little bit more, which you get in a more finesse experience).

Edited by anthman

14 hours ago, James Clain said:

I have a Stradic 2500fl on a daiwa hyper 3kg. That entire setup feels amazingly light while feeling very sturdy. I almost bought the CI4 or a daiwa td Black although I felt that the Stradic FL feels much more sturdy and rigid. A 1000 size reel might be good but I prefer the 2500 size because they have the bigger spool for better cast range and just feel generally better to spin with and fight fish. 

The metal body is very light for what is on the stradic, it's a nice reel, but you do get what you pay for on that one!

On 4/30/2020 at 7:55 PM, 61 crusher said:

In that case I’ve got quite a few of my old girlfriends still hanging around some of them I’ve totally worn out & have gotten lots of girlfriends since getting married  Please don’t tell my wife! 😂

Yeah Then you woke up !!.

Frank

• Haha 1