Fishing at Cronulla

Lachlan N

Hey Guys, Lachlan here.

I went fishing at Elouera last week and it was pretty good, nothing too big but alot of fun. I was considering trying around the rocks just past South Cronulla, does anyone know if its good fishing there, and what bait you suggest?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Lachlan N said:

Hey Guys, Lachlan here.

I went fishing at Elouera last week and it was pretty good, nothing too big but alot of fun. I was considering trying around the rocks just past South Cronulla, does anyone know if its good fishing there, and what bait you suggest?

Thanks!

I haven't fished there myself but there was an article in one of the fishing magazines a few years ago. It seems like it's fair to middling fishing but not a real hotspot. The water is fairly shallow and so is not productive for snapper or big pelagics. But it fishes alright for bream, drummer tailor, salmon etc.. 

7 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

I haven't fished there myself but there was an article in one of the fishing magazines a few years ago. It seems like it's fair to middling fishing but not a real hotspot. The water is fairly shallow and so is not productive for snapper or big pelagics. But it fishes alright for bream, drummer tailor, salmon etc.. 

Thanks for that. I love catching bream tailor & salmon so thats perfect. What pound line do you reckon for drummer? (i've never caught one before)

9 hours ago, Lachlan N said:

Thanks for that. I love catching bream tailor & salmon so thats perfect. What pound line do you reckon for drummer? (i've never caught one before)

I used 20 - 25lb mono when I used to fish for them. It depends a bit on the terrain and the average size. Maybe try 20lb to start. Alveys work well with their direct wind. Remember they are extremely dirty fighters. 

Yes they are good eating. It's best to remove the skin like blackfish.

• Like 1

Black drummer are excellent eating, though like most fish, the big ones are not as good as the smaller to medium size fish. The silver drummer is not as good IMO.

Like most talk about eating qualities of different fish, there will be a range of opinions. For fish like blackfish and pigs (black drummer) the key is in using a keeper net to keep them alive till killing and cleaning them. I slit  the throat and break the neck immediately to bleed them before scaling and gutting the fish. I remove the head and the ventral fins. Once home the fish are filleted and skinned.

Then cook to your favourite recipe.

KB

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lachlan N said:

Sorry about all the questions, but has anyone fished at eloura or wanda and had any luck with salmon and tailor, or do you know if its any good there?

Hi Lachlan N there are Tailor and Salmon along the beach (most beaches) go in daylight hours and look for a gutter with an opening going out seawards, even better if it has an opening each end and it's between two sand banks, so you have a wave break on the sand bank out furthest, leaving the broken wave's "white water" to cover (at least in part) the gutter you're fishing in.

Even if there are no fish in it initially, schools moving along the beach in search of bait schools/food often enter and have a look, just as you are doing.

Tailor in particular, sometimes only hang around for a few minutes if there isn't any feed and you have to move along as they do. Keep an eye on the curving waves- often you will see fish moving through them before the wave breaks

Edited by wazatherfisherman
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Lachlan N there are Tailor and Salmon along the beach (most beaches) go in daylight hours and look for a gutter with an opening going out seawards, even better if it has an opening each end and it's between two sand banks, so you have a wave break on the sand bank out furthest, leaving the broken wave's "white water" to cover (at least in part) the gutter your fishing in.

Even if there are no fish in it initially, schools moving along the beach in search of bait schools/food often enter and have a look, just as you are doing.

Tailor in particular, sometimes only hang around for a few minutes if there isn't any feed and you have to move along as they do. Keep an eye on the curving waves- often you will see fish moving through them before the wave breaks

Thanks heaps, looking forward to trying it our again :)

Use a small amount of berley infrequently Lachlan N when beach fishing and be patient. Even if the fish aren't there straight away they will usually show up. If using pilchards on gang hooks chuck a cube in now and then. This will bring the fish in and maybe keep them there. bn

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Use a small amount of berley infrequently Lachlan N when beach fishing and be patient. Even if the fish aren't there straight away they will usually show up. If using pilchards on gang hooks chuck a cube in now and then. This will bring the fish in and maybe keep them there. bn

Thanks, amazing PB's btw!