Fabulous Broughton Island for Mother's day

BabyShark

Being Mother's day tomorrow, hubby took the family out to Broughton for an early treat. I was keen to fish being my first time to Broughton as I usually fish from shore in the bay. But with hesitation, my fishing rod was taken over by our two kids 6 and 9, but their joy was priceless. Every cast (but two or three), we pulled in a snapper (soft plastics, nuclear chicken minnows and poddy mullet in banana prawn). We caught 10, most were suitable for the table, and I was thinking of steamed snapper with ginger and shallots for dinner with every fish reeled in. But no snapper for dinner tonight. My 6yo boy decided their spots were too pretty and we had to put each one back....the sacrifice mother's make for their kids! Happy Mother's day to all the wonderful mums out there, and to everyone else make sure you call your mum tomorrow!

20200509_144224.jpg

• Like 13

If they are legal, then say the fish cannot be released because it has suffered an injury and cannot be released, or something similar. 

You're a mother, I'm sure you will find an excuse. 😂

• Haha 1

What a great family day.   I must admit I have always let red gurnard go because they are so pretty despite being claimed to be excellent on the plate. 

Edited by Welster
  • Like 1

Great report. I’m glad you finally made it to Broughton Island. It’s a beautiful place and fish a plenty. Thanks for releasing MY fish.. lol 😝 

Happy Mother’s Day!!!

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Great report. I’m glad you finally made it to Broughton Island. It’s a beautiful place and fish a plenty. Thanks for releasing MY fish.. lol 😝 

Happy Mother’s Day!!!

cheers scratchie!!! 

Your fish ???   Baz might catch them before you.  🤣😂

• Haha 2

@Scratchie yes there was plenty of fish out at Broughton, it was just fabulous. The water was bubbling with the king fish (or tuna?) on the chase. The snapper must have been hungry and not picky too. I was giving the kids little guidance with the rod (except stop winding it in as they do with every little nibble, and take turns!) and we just drifted nicely. I've never chased bigger fish, nor would I know what to do. And I'd be worried if my 6yo old hooked a tuna as he'd probably get pulled in....He was nearly wet when he hooked the snapper in the photo!

We left you plenty of snapper for your next fishing trip 😁

• Like 1