Broughton Island 05/06-09-20

Brendan Monks

Will try to keep on top of these reports sorry! 😑  

05/09: I got a call up from a mate late Friday arvo seeing if I was keen to fish Broughton Island early Saturday morning with other crew he already had, they had got a few good kings the week before – 1 up to 98cm. Of course I said yes and juggled a few things around which didn’t go down too well with some people. LOL. With other commitments Friday night, I didn’t get my gear ready and loaded until late and was thinking about driving up then and there so I couldn’t sleep in! 🤔

The plan was to launch from Soldiers Point boat ramp at 5:30am, which required getting up at 3:00am – I finally got to bed at 2:30am and the “quick” sleep turned a bit longer then expected! Sure enough I had slept in and just managed to give them a call just before they were due to leave the ramp. I rung around a few other mates to see if anyone else was fishing, but no one was.

Maybe just been a bit pea brained I still drove up to Port Stephens anyway to possibly cast stickbaits from the rocks and do a bit of exploring. I finally got up to Little Beach boat ramp at a gentleman’s hour and watched a few boats come back in that had some good catches of snapper and kings. I went for a quick drive across to Shoal Bay to check out the ramp there and back to Little Beach to kill time.

A boat had turned up by then, obvious by the make of boat and gear they had, they were spearos. He was an absolute legend of a guy and hearing my story said jump on and we can drop you to your mates or stay with us for the day. Luckily I had my snorkeling gear still loaded in the canopy from a previous trip so I chucked it in with them 🤪

We stopped at a mark he was at the day before to try for lobster, I’ve only dived for crays in WA so I was a bit hesitant (Struggled over there to catch one!) and not wanting to look like a complete noob in front of these experienced guys. Anyways, I finally got comfortable diving to 8m and managed to get one (Only had boardshorts on and felt like all sorts of body parts were freezing off!  🤣) These guys were absolute pros – Coming up with doubles we quickly had 6 on board. We stopped at another location to get our bag limit of 8 for the boat, I managed a good size cray which we released 2 after a quick pic, and had a cuttlefish follow us around like a little puppy.

1274211444_BroughtonIslandLobster2.thumb.jpg.6b4b2589911ff862a8cb2b6659141007.jpg

1564312064_BroughtonIslandLobster1.jpg.48772de9f15dc32a99bed9b40c6cacb1.jpg

With the wind and chop picking up quickly, I didn’t bother jumping on my mates boat, we punched back in with 300 horse pushing us and were back at the ramp by lunch. I gave the guys a hand washing the boat and gear down back where they were staying, and cooked up some lobster to go with a bevo. They had to be back down south that night, so I decided to go for an explore around Mt Tomaree looking for some possible fishing spots at a later date. I drove home that arvo and had a call from a mate that I had asked earlier – He was keen for a fish around Broughton Sunday chasing Snapper 🤣

1254880012_LobsterTails.thumb.jpg.76f0d7336470ee43bbbcfbb54c1bb267.jpg

1548123460_ZenithBeach.thumb.jpg.24bb2945e749058d2ce57f9f50a41a5a.jpg

06/09: I made the early drive again up to Little Beach boat ramp to meet my mate, we launched at 6:00am with the conditions cold and gloomy (Not sure if this is better for snapper - So they dont move to the deeper water as early in the day?)  We had a quick run across to the island for our first drift on some ground he had previously fished (We hoped to get out a lot earlier. LOL) All the reports we had both heard sounded like the fishing was very hard, but we were still both frothing when the drift produced nothing because we were still marking a lot of bait.

771581904_LittleBeachHaines.thumb.jpg.90342c5fc76c21ffee3622d3b0f6c7ee.jpg

On the second drift and a bit shallower, the wind had picked up to allow a perfect speed for covering ground, my mate quickly came tight on a nice panny of 40cm. We literally done another 4/5 drifts for nothing apart from dragon fish! 🤣 We tried quite a few other spots, even going for squid in close for nothing. The wind had really and truly picked up by now, we got soaked in the process and punched out to a deeper reef, again we were marking a lot of bait and after the third drift finally caught a reasonable snapper.

72896685_BroughtonIslandSnapper.thumb.jpg.dfc9fa9e0ecc51f405b48b451da64610.jpg

Another run in before lunch as my mate had to be back home early and I had another hour and half drive to my sisters at Singleton for dinner before heading another hour and half back home! 2 long days, but worth it to just get out on the blue and explore a beautiful part of the world. Yeewww 🤙

579220828_CabbageTreeIsland.thumb.jpg.e4a3cd1a44e770981bfd0a0da369c214.jpg

Cheers, Brendo

• Like 9

Ok mate I'll have beef fillet & bearnaise sauce with my grilled lobster tail thanks, surf & turf.................... 🦞🐄.......mmmmmmmm 🤣

Great stuff Brendan, I'd love to pull a couple of crays out of some crevaces only I have a fear..............................of the great white sharks that frequent PS!

Can you get them in water up to your knees :whistling:🤣

Another great report & day for you on the water :biggrinthumb:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Haha 1

On 9/25/2020 at 5:32 PM, kingie chaser said:

Ok mate I'll have beef fillet & bearnaise sauce with my grilled lobster tail thanks, surf & turf.................... 🦞🐄.......mmmmmmmm 🤣

mmm...That would sound good and actually camping on the island itself! 🤔😉

On 9/25/2020 at 5:32 PM, kingie chaser said:

Great stuff Brendan, I'd love to pull a couple of crays out of some crevaces only I have a fear..............................of the great white sharks that frequent PS!

Can you get them in water up to your knees :whistling:🤣

Believe me! I think I had a constant berley trail following me! 😝

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 5:48 PM, Blackfish said:

Excellent report again Brendan.

Good on those lads for taking you out, and snorkelling in just swimmers at this time of year, you deserve those Crays to.

On 9/26/2020 at 9:49 AM, 61 crusher said:

Another great read & photos, well done on getting out with the other guys & making the most of an opportunity 👍

Cheers guys! 🤙 Yeah really appreciate someone like that! I have had it happen to myself at the wharf before so I hope it's a bit of good karma coming around. hahaha

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 10:23 AM, Scratchie said:

Good post champ! The fishing has been poor but the diving spectacular! I wouldn’t dare jump in knowing what I’ve caught in that area! 🤣🤣

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks @Scratchie 🤙 I've seen sharks there before - I can assure you I didn't let the other guys didn't get more then 2/3 metres out of my sight! 😝🤣

Hopefully fishing picks up there, my trailer is ready to tow up again. Getting keen for a possible camp on the island sometime. 👍

Edited by Brendan Monks
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Squidy said:

Great reports Brendon, you've been smashing it. Don't know how you managed to talk your way onto that cray boat but what legends for taking you along!!

Rich

Thank you Rich! Just managed a lot of time on the water recently! 👍 

Puppy dog eyes. LOL 🤣 He was a top guy though! Wouldn't take whatever cash I offered him, and only finally convinced him to take the carton I bought him. Hahaha. Sounds like I'll be running out with them come marlin/dollie season - I'll definitely be staying in the boat out that wide! 💩😂