South of the Hacking Wed plus other days

hookerbruce

Headed out on wed from Grays point about 6.30 with a mate I haven't fished with for about a year. When we were working we used to get out every 3 or 4 weeks, now we're retired don't have a spare day. We had booked the Weipa house boat for two weeks early sept but that got cancelled.

Stopped and said hello to Yowie on the way, probably scared his fish away. Plan was to head south catch a few flathead for the table and find some salmon to play with. Went south to Wattamolla caught just enough flathead for a meal but couldn't find one of the big salmon schools. Made do having fun catching a few salmon on 2 & 3 kg out fits added a few wrass and other reef ogglies. A quiet day for us overall but luckily it was a day to catch and hopefully start fishing on a regular basis again.

Wed afternoon when grandsons came down after school fishing was requested, so they rigged up a couple of light handlines raided the worm farm for bait and walked down the creek. Had to change out of school uniforms can't get them wet or dirty. Selected a small pool threw the lines in put the spool on the ground, 1 min later spool starts spinning towards the water grandson (who has been warned how slippery rocks on the edge) races for it hits the edge of the rocks and straight in. Okay old clothes on, no injury no probs  WRONG  still had school shoes on.   10 mins later same thing happens with the next grandson. two wet pairs of school shoes. They were happy caught a small fish each and saw an eel. They didn't have to explain wet school shoes.

Tues 15th sept 

Took grandson out for his birthday fishing trip (any excuse to go fishing) caught a feed of flathead then headed looking for reef fish, found a school of salmon he landed 3 between 2 and 2.4 kg on 2 and 3 kg gear, I got two and lost two on fly. Worked out other fish in the school must have been hitting the tippet loop which looked white in the water. Gone to a short piece of line tied to the fly line and will try again. fished over near boat harbour out of the very fresh nor easter and he caught some reef fish, he said the hard fighting salmon made the day.

fri 18th sept went out for a couple of hours with my son to chase pelagics south to Wattamolla, the seas were a little lumpy from the southerly the night before so only saw one other boat at sea. We cast lures at birds (son caught the biggest) and anything that might have moved for the grand total of 1 frigite and 3 slimmies . had a short drift and WE caught 4 flathead and a flounder for a meal.

Resized_20200926_104003.jpeg

Edited by hookerbruce
Add photo
  • Like 6

It's funny how retired people never seem to have time!  I can't wait for more days to pick from and more time to tinker (my hobbies and interests chew up heaps of time).   Good on you  for getting out with the family and putting them onto some fish. 

1 minute ago, Welster said:

It's funny how retired people never seem to have time!  I can't wait for more days to pick from and more time to tinker (my hobbies and interests chew up heaps of time).   Good on you  for getting out with the family and putting them onto some fish. 

When I was working I would fish 2 or 3 times a week now it is once maybe twice except when I take the grandsons fishing or fish with my sons. I think this year has been less fishing as no ANSA fishing comps or trips to Weipa or caravan trips for winter to north Qld. Did manage 3 weeks at south west rocks chasing blackfish which was good even if I had painting and house maintenence to do.

Bruce

Good work Bruce, you managed a few good trips out and caught some fish to keep yourself happy. Also entertaining for the kids and grandkids. 

I usually have something else to keep me amused when not fishing - gardening, caravan maintenance (not really, just something to get me out of the house 😂) a swim at the beach, etc. Now retired, I need a break from the missus now and then. :074:

My grand kids are young, and have a limited time for fishing. No bites in a minute or so, so time to play in the sand and drop the rod and reel in the sand.:1onono: