Kingfish Art

GoingFishing

I'd call it bulls**t art

I'll still stand by my original comments, good luck to the guy for coming up with the gimmick to get people into his restaurant which for him is what it's all about.

For the mainstream fisherman to me it's hard just trying to get people to stray from what they are used to which is mostly beer battered or crumbed fish which is what I am trying to do with my cooking posts.

Still I would hope any fisho seeing this type of fish prep can take something away from it & give something over the norm a try.

Eating life in Australia used to used to be about meat & 3 veg, I think we are gradually moving away from that & then getting a bit more creative at the same time.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/25/2020 at 8:14 AM, zmk1962 said:

Now to catch my kingfish. 
cheers Zoran 

haha im in the same boat.... hopefully this summer 

slight thread hijack but when i go into the local Fish monger i see some kingfish they have on the ice and they are no way 65cm.... these things look like sub 55cm.

do commercial fisherman have no size limits ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, M1100S said:

haha im in the same boat.... hopefully this summer 

slight thread hijack but when i go into the local Fish monger i see some kingfish they have on the ice and they are no way 65cm.... these things look like sub 55cm.

do commercial fisherman have no size limits ?

I think you'll find most of these "undersized" kingfish are farmed.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 7:33 PM, kingie chaser said:

I'd call it bulls**t art

I'll still stand by my original comments, good luck to the guy for coming up with the gimmick to get people into his restaurant which for him is what it's all about.

For the mainstream fisherman to me it's hard just trying to get people to stray from what they are used to which is mostly beer battered or crumbed fish which is what I am trying to do with my cooking posts.

Still I would hope any fisho seeing this type of fish prep can take something away from it & give something over the norm a try.

Eating life in Australia used to used to be about meat & 3 veg, I think we are gradually moving away from that & then getting a bit more creative at the same time.

Us middle eastern folk have a popular saying.. "its the eye that eats".

What this means is that when food is presented nicely it will have the effect of increasing your appetite and you are more likely to enjoy your meal, even if the taste is more or less the same. Why stick to the rules when you can make your own.

Theres two sides to the argument i guess, as someone who almost always eats fish with the bone in (cooked whole), id say its wan$y* to expect fish only to be served with the bone out !

Nothing wrong in my eyes with cooking fish on the bone at all, I myself actually prefer it where possible on many species. 

The main problem I had with this is the demonstration & the appearance on MC was purely to get exposure for his restaurant.

To me as an catering industry professional I see it just a gimmic, smoke & mirrors, but good luck to the guy, if it gets more people into his restaurant in Paddington then more power to him.

I do however like his phelosiphy of minimal waste where al lot of his techniques originate from.

I do try to be the same as well with all my game hunting, show the animal respect & waste as little as possible.

Forme the best thing I think he showed was the use of the wings & the head most people just throw them in the bin but they have an amazing gelatinous texture, love hot smoked fish wings, they are so good!

But hey, If eating a "rack" or "shank" of kingfish turns you on then go for it :biggrinthumb:

Let us know how you go with it when you've tried it, we need more recipes in the kitchen 😉 

Edited by kingie chaser

6 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Nothing wrong in my eyes with cooking fish on the bone at all, I myself actually prefer it where possible on many species. 

The main problem I had with this is the demonstration & the appearance on MC was purely to get exposure for his restaurant.

To me as an catering industry professional I see it just a gimmic, smoke & mirrors, but good luck to the guy, if it gets more people into his restaurant in Paddington then more power to him.

I do however like his phelosiphy of minimal waste where al lot of his techniques originate from.

I do try to be the same as well with all my game hunting, show the animal respect & waste as little as possible.

Forme the best thing I think he showed was the use of the wings & the head most people just throw them in the bin but they have an amazing gelatinous texture, love hot smoked fish wings, they are so good!

But hey, If eating a "rack" or "shank" of kingfish turns you on then go for it :biggrinthumb:

Let us know how you go with it when you've tried it, we need more recipes in the kitchen 😉 

I dunno.

You claim that you prefer bone in, but in the link you copied you claimed that you would send a dish back if it had bone in it. Your sending mixed messages 😉😉

Perhaps its a little chef rivalry !!!! I understand that 😁 some competitive juice never hurt anyone.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

You claim that you prefer bone in, but in the link you copied you claimed that you would send a dish back if it had bone in it. Your sending mixed messages 😉😉

Thats what chefs do because we are all tempremental B**t***s 😂🤣😂

no-soup-for-zpml5k.jpg.c8855bbf550563246ec1f48998c43524.jpg

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

And of course there is absolutely NO FishRaider rivalry on this site .... bahaha 😂 

cheers Zoran 

No way Zoran 

It would be wonderful if we got all you chefs to cook up a feast.

Many moons ago a group of raiders went up to Port Stephens and fished off the Broadbill with Capt Ross Hunter. We all caught marlin. It was exciting coming in with our pennants and showing off. 

We all caught Mahi Mahi too. Ross organised for us to give the fish to the chef at the main hotel/pub where all the gamefishing people stayed. 

He produced the best array of mahi mahi offerings. We had platters of the fish done in about 5 different ways grilled curried, fried, steamed etc with the most amazing sauces, spices and vegetables. The salads and chips topped it off and it was still one of the best meals any of us had. 

OK chefs fight on .... I hate peace :074:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

And of course there is absolutely NO FishRaider rivalry on this site .... bahaha 😂 

cheers Zoran 

No not at all......who dares to mention the words "2 stroke" or "4 stroke" without expecting a ""robust"" discussion 🤣🤣

• Haha 3

It sure is a novel way to treat fish. I like the no waste philosophy too.... I get his daily cook at home offerings and he has the most bizarre menus and pricey too. Been to his restaurant once for lunch and $200 later we needed a feed later that arvo:) Great food but not much of it. His book is a good read! He's out there!