Full moon morning session

61 crusher

Had a morning fish in Sydney on Tuesday with a mate before work. As expected the the squid where hard to come by & after two & a half hours we only managed 2 & an occy, other boats struggled as well & we tried quite a few different spots 

Around two hours before the high near Rose Bay we dropped down the occy & one of my squid, 15 minutes later my rod buckled over with an intense & short fight I could feel the line rubbing on the rocks & while still bent over with no signs of a struggle below & snagged, l lowered the rod & waiting for almost a minute it managed to free itself as well as wearing itself out while stuck, l got it up to the boat & into the net with a severely chafed 50lb leader 29C7FA59-6305-479F-BDFC-C4260D2601DE.thumb.jpeg.d2a30587ce4db4c5cb2e10be3be738bd.jpegNot a PB but still a good tussle & 83cm Out of the 3 boats there we were the lucky ones 

After spending another half hour & trying a few other spots with the poor mans downrigger to no avail we had a nice fillet each & I headed off to work for the rest of the afternoon 

Edited by 61 crusher
  • Like 15

One nice kingie which is good, makes up for the lean catch of fresh bait. Even better that he freed himself, sometimes they do not come out.

Black rock cod were the worst, stuck under a rock for hours and never coming out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice work Dieter, a nervous wait no doubt in that minute but gladit paid off for you :biggrinthumb:

Shame there wasnt another for your mate but one if better that none :thumbup:

Definitely lucky I felt a few bumps transmitting through the line as my mate was disengaging the spot lock & as he engaged the motor into reverse that’s when it snagged up & I told him to hit neutral which probably saved us from losing it 

my fillet managed to feed 5 people with one chunk still left over & my mates fed 4 in his family & another couple, he ended up with the wings which initially he didn’t want but since he was barbecuing I told him to give them a try (loved it)

8 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Thats a nice Sydney King. Did he take the occy or the squid

Took the squid, the occy got its legs taken by pickers probably leatheries

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

Nice work Crusher - always hard getting squid after a big dump of rain. 83 is a nice kingie

They were there but very timid & hard to get a solid take, only found the arrows in the one spot though 

Interestingly the guts had only 2 tiny cuttlefish 

9 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

he ended up with the wings which initially he didn’t want but since he was barbecuing I told him to give them a try (loved it)

Barra wings in the N.T. are fairly popular, some restaurants selling them as a main meal.

I went out on Tuesday as well. Took me over 2 hours to get 3 Yakkas and 2 small snapper Tailor. I was planning to head to the artificial reef out from South head so I logged  on with Marine Rescue, 5 minutes later my mobile rang and it was Marine Rescue who said that he thought he should let me know that there was a 5m swell had just been recorded of Sydney and that as I was in a runabout under 5m I should be careful. What fantastic service from those guys and the call was much appreciated.  
So change of plans, I headed back in under the Spit and put a yakka and a tailor down while at anchor just up on the corner near the Spit, after no interest in a couple of hours tried the downriggers and trolled all around the boats there for another hour. Not a single touch all morning. Ended the session with a cruise up under the Roseville bridge as far as I could go with a single soft plastic hanging out the back. That got hit by what I think was a reasonable sized Tailor that jumped and spat the hook. 
All in all I pleasant day on the water but nothing to show for it.

Where did you find your squid?

• Like 2

That was pretty good of marine rescue to give you a quick heads up, the squid were over near the obelisk, yeah it was a good morning mind you a little chilly & the wind only eased up when we headed in just after 1pm 

@GordoRetired I’m heading with my mate next week to our normal winter getaway good old Jyndabine would you have any tips or suggestions, I’m aware of trolling shallows sun up & sun down & we figured trolling the creek beds & islands during the day & running lures deeper 🤞🤞

6 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

I’m heading with my mate next week to our normal winter getaway good old Jyndabine would you have any tips or suggestions, I’m aware of trolling shallows sun up & sun down & we figured trolling the creek beds & islands during the day & running lures deeper 🤞🤞

First thing to do is pop into Lakeside lures and tackle and have a chat with Brian. He is really helpful and can offer some solid advice on what lure colours are working well.
I try and get on the water before sun up, like still dark, and start trolling. I usually pull the boat out around 11.00, go and get some lunch and have a relax, then back on the water around 3.00 and troll till it's dark. I have picked up fish an hour or more after dark trolling with down-riggers at 10m.
The area as you drive away from the boat ramp between the islands and the Clay Pits can be very productive. So I will have a lure out as soon as I drive away from the ramp, before I am even out of the speed restricted area. I got my biggest Brown within 300m of the ramp. I troll along the beach in around 5m of water, then head across and troll inside the islands, then back the same way.
I have had good success over at East Jindabyne, just keep an eye on the sounder for submerged trees as there are a few that can cost you a lure. In that area I head right into the north end of the bay where it is only around 10m deep and a weedy bottom that seems to hold a lot of fish.
Another area where I have had some good sessions is across the other side of the lake form East Jindabyne called Cooley bay, there I go right into the bay, near the house, and troll up the bay and around Hiawatha Point. Caught my biggest Rainbow right on the point.
Then as you head north Taylors Creek is worth a look. It's not that big and the fish I have caught there have all been near the entrance reasonably close in.
I have not had any luck up the Snowy River or into the Thredbo River.  Tried trolling up the Eucumbene River as far as you can go and had some hits.

Whenever I am down there I mark any really shallow spots/trees so that I can avoid them later.

As a general rule when it is dark I flat line and as the sun starts to get up I start using the down riggers. When down rigging I try to get within a couple of meters of the bottom, although that can be hard in the 'lumpy' areas. Where the bank drops of steeply I try and stay reasonably close in. For lures go with dark colours early and as it get brighter go with brighter colours. I only use Tassie Devils and troll them as slowly as possible, 1.5-2.0knts.

Good luck and if you have any questions that you think I may be able to help with give me a call.

Cheers
Gordo 

EDIT: FYI if you believe in moon phase the fishing is supposed to be really good from Friday 13th after lunch through till Monday lunchtime. 🙂

Edited by GordoRetired
  • Like 3

On 11/12/2020 at 7:14 AM, zmk1962 said:

I’m late to this top report Dieter!  Awesome Kingie and such good luck (skill?) to get it out of the snag !

Thanks Zoran that’s what I call snaggy luck

On 11/8/2020 at 12:33 AM, GordoRetired said:

Cooley bay, there I go right into the bay, near the house, and troll up the bay and around Hiawatha Point. Caught my biggest Rainbow right on the point.
Then as you head north Taylors Creek is worth a look. It's not that big and the fish I have caught there have all been near the entrance reasonably close in

Thanks for the in-depth info @GordoRetiredalways hit the shop outside the park & get the good oil off Brian (good bloke) & always friendly 

usually do everything as you’ve said except what I pinned above, have tried there before without much luck might get there if the wind & rain settles down, only managed rainbows so far & even got one of the tagged ones at 44cm, report to come later 👍

Edited by 61 crusher
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Thanks for the in-depth info @GordoRetiredalways hit the shop outside the park & get the good oil off Brian (good bloke) & always friendly 

usually do everything as you’ve said except what I pinned above, have tried there before without much luck might get there if the wind & rain settles down, only managed rainbows so far & even got one of the tagged ones at 44cm, report to come later 👍

We had one of our best session ever in that bay, something like 9 or 10 fish in 2 hours. Literately picked one up on every pass. That was just before sundown and into dark.
Look forward to seeing your report on the trip.

• Like 1