A day for Aussie Salmon

FishyMcFishFace

Video Attached

Up at 4am set up the origami boat and on the water at Rose Bay by 5am initially targeting Squid then Kings. 

On the way to get some squid we saw heaps of bust ups of salmon around and just naturally could not drive past a bust up. So we both got off the mark with a couple of decent sized salmon each both catch and release. Stuck to the plan for the squid, but we tried and tried unfortunately nothing.

We had some day old squid in strips but just got picked at and no interest in pilchards from Kings.

Salmon and some tailor were busting everywhere, was easy pickings with the Halco Twistys

Lost count of how many we caught as they were mad keen, we brought just one back each because it was all we needed.

It was the most productive day for quantity on my boat, would have been nice to see some kingfish but who cares, the salmon were tonnes of fun!

20201212_114208.jpg

20201212_061300.jpg

Edited by FishyMcFishFace
  • Like 10

Nice effort guy's, looks like a great bit of fun :biggrinthumb:

You could always bring a couple each home, one to eat on the day sashimi style (a mate swears by it but I havent tried it) or fish & chips, the other brined & hot smoked a day or 2 later.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Great report Steve (recognise that background). Good to see you out so often now - sorry about last week, weather has not been “predicted” to be good.

If you upgrade your tackle - often there are kings underneath salmon & Tailor, so dropping down below them can be very productive (if you can get a lure down without is getting smashed). If a king does grab you - hold on mate, cause they are often good size and when salmon / tailor are feeding they don’t care about line size, some even use wire to save tailor biting you off.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Great report Steve (recognise that background). Good to see you out so often now - sorry about last week, weather has not been “predicted” to be good.

If you upgrade your tackle - often there are kings underneath salmon & Tailor, so dropping down below them can be very productive (if you can get a lure down without is getting smashed). If a king does grab you - hold on mate, cause they are often good size and when salmon / tailor are feeding they don’t care about line size, some even use wire to save tailor biting you off.

Well I was thinking about it.. Kahawai as they call them in New Zealand they are the Go-To bait for Big Kings, If I can get a smallish one use that for live bait as there is no size limit it and as easy to catch as yakkas use them like yakkas 10/0  live bait hook.. why not 😬

I reckon if there is a huge king lurking