Lifejackets

Fun2fish

I use Marlin - i get them from a shop when on sale 

One thing to look for on all brands is the date of manufacture and i always rummage through the lot looking for the ones with the most recent manufacture date .image.thumb.jpg.864abeee16cfe788b1884efaf48da4fd.jpg

Crewfit, by crewsaver are the most comfortable and best fitting inflatable pfd Ive used. The trouble with inflatables is the maintenance, some allow you to do the check while others need sending in. 

Be warned if you head down here to the south coast and you get checked by maritime or water police and your purchase dates and service checks aren't done correctly you will cop a fine instantly. Even though I had pfds that were just 3 months old I didn't have the itemised receipt proving this. Luckily this was before we launched at the ramp so we didn't get a fine as we weren't on the water. I went home and collected foam filled pfds and headed on out while my wife spent the day searching for my bill of sale!!!!

You can expect to get checked everyday by maritime, my record was three days in a row and three times in one day by different authorities.

Those that allow servicing have a label inside that has to be filled in. Any corrosion on the cylinder represents as a fail, so a regular coating of something like lanolin helps if you have a wet boat.

A couple of things to consider, if you get any auto inflating pfds be sure to keep them dry. Ive had friends set theirs off from sea spray and rain in open boats. Another friend had all of his go off ( inflate ) after being left in a damp cabin from humidity.

Ive had numerous pfds go off from people moving about the boat and getting the pull tab caught, accidentally setting them off. Ive also had one of the popular brands only part inflation one side.

So these days I personally carry the foam filled even though they are bulky but in the long run they are cost effective and you know they won't let you down.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JonD said:

Be warned if you head down here to the south coast and you get checked by maritime or water police and your purchase dates and service checks aren't done correctly you will cop a fine instantly. Even though I had pfds that were just 3 months old I didn't have the itemised receipt proving this.

Pretty sure my Marlin's have a production date stamped in them for memory so not sure why you need to carry a reciept?

Noticed that when I was servicing them, Id have to re check them.

I like to wear a jacket all the time, even on large boats so the manual inflatables are the only way to go imo.

They are less cumbersome & way cooler to wear.

Reason I wear mine all the time is I see so many reports where lives were lost on the water & during the recovery they normally discover the jackets in the boat.

Just highlights that you may not have enough time to access one & get it on.

I also carry my KTI PLB as well, even if the boat has one. 

Anyway each to their own of course  😁

• Like 1

Well down here maritime go by manufacturing date unless you can prove with an itemised receipt you purchased differently. So buying them on sale when they are several years old simply doesn't cut it if maritime pull you up. You can normally only do one service which gives you the first year after buying and a second year where you service yourself before they need to go to the manufacturer for a service. Some allow you to do more services but unless you open them up to check what's stated inside you simply don't know. 

As far as i know in NSW you are required to fill out the top section of the self test panel with the purchase date , model number etc and not required to carry a purchase receipt and your self test record starts from the date of purchase but your 5 yr self test limit is from the date of manufacture and this is also clearly stated on the Marlin website along with all the info you need to do the self test .

I fill out the top of the panel and keep a copy of the self test form in my boat for each jacket - it takes only a few minutes to check the jacket and fill out the form even if it is brand new i still do it and am quite happy to do so for the piece of mind it gives me . 

I wouldn’t buy a jacket that is over 6 months past the date of manufacture and if you look at the photo in my previous post you can clearly see the date of manufacture on a Marlin pfd. 
There are many makers of these products and if you watch any fishing shows on tv or YouTube you need to understand that these are sponsors supplying these PFD’s so it doesn’t mean they are the best or most comfortable units .

Now when was the last time you checked the use by date on your fire extinguisher ? - which in NSW you must have if your boat has a battery - but you really should have one anyway even if it doesn’t .

Here is the link for the RMS lifejacket regulations .

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/safety-equipment/lifejackets.html

Edited by XD351

38 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Gone back to foam because i cant be stuffed with all the checking dates/cylinders/service etc

Once a year and takes 5 min a jacket to do - too easy ! 
With the self test certificate I download it , print out a copy then fill out all the info like model , serial numbers and my name  etc but leave things like the cylinder weight, service tick boxes  and service date empty . I then scan this to file on my computer and it is 90% filled out for each year , all i do each year is check them over , weight the cylinder and fill out the already mostly already complete form and laminate it then stick it in my storage compartment in my boat .

Problem with the old cheese block units is they get stuffed away and never checked which can be a problem when you end up in the drink usually you can’t find the life jackets when you need them and if you do you find them straps have rotted and the thing is useless!

The best life jacket is the one you are wearing !

9 hours ago, JonD said:

Well down here maritime go by manufacturing date unless you can prove with an itemised receipt you purchased differently. So buying them on sale when they are several years old simply doesn't cut it if maritime pull you up. You can normally only do one service which gives you the first year after buying and a second year where you service yourself before they need to go to the manufacturer for a service. Some allow you to do more services but unless you open them up to check what's stated inside you simply don't know. 

Both yourself & Maratime have to follow legislation on the servicing of life jackets...........period.

This will be different state to state but in NSW the law states that the lifejacket be serviced in accordance with the manifacturers instruction/recommendations so therefore both you & NSW maratime need to know what they are, that way if maratime try to tell you something different you can then put the correct details forward, as with any safety equipment on the vessel.

https://maritimemanagement.transport.nsw.gov.au/lifejackets/lifejacket-servicing-and-maintenance/index.html

Your last sentance is very true, its up to you to carry out the inspecion as per manifacturers instructions & record the service details & replace the parts & keep record of that, if you havent opened it up & carried out the service in accordance then you deserve to be fined.

Referencing the Marlin instructions it is recommended to get the jacket serviced by an accredited service agent every 5 years, it does not state anywhere that it is manditory!

Marlin also state that commercial operators with manual & auto inflatable jackets must be serviced annually by an accredited service provider only.

So the way I see it, as long as its self inspected annually as per their instructions & is in servicable condition it can be 20 or 30 years old(I doudbt they last anywhere near that long though)

Even If the jacket is new & found to be several years old then it should be serviced before 1st use!

https://www.marlin-australia.com.au/servicing?lightbox=dataItem-jk0njwgh

There seems to be a lot more to servicing self inflating models so I avoid those.

As I fish a lot on my own I have to wear one, I just cant wear those bulky things so I am happy 

They are usually $50 on special so if one doesnot pass inspection & is non servicable after say 5 years then its only cost me $10 a year.

Transport NSW also have self service clinics

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/education-program/lifejacket-clinics.html#:~:text=In NSW it is a,in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.&text=Penalties may apply if your,have been serviced as required.

10 hours ago, XD351 said:
11 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Once a year and takes 5 min a jacket to do - too easy ! 

The 4 Marlin jackets I had previously required to be inflated and left inflated for 24hrs then checked for leaks.   So not a 5min job in my experience. It may have been specific to that model jacket but I recall marlin website saying the same for their products. 
cheers Zoran 

Agree it is not a 5 minute job in elapsed time terms but not much more than that in effort.  Blow them up, leave for 24 hours, do the inspections, check weight of cylinder, fold back up.  

@JonD agree Crewsaver are very comfortable, but my research was that you cannot service them yourself and if you are not near a service centre it is a PITA.

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

The 4 Marlin jackets I had previously required to be inflated and left inflated for 24hrs then checked for leaks.   So not a 5min job in my experience. It may have been specific to that model jacket but I recall marlin website saying the same for their products. 
cheers Zoran 

Dont know why i was quoted for that-as i said before-ive switched away from inflatables

I use the Crewfit auto inflateable PFDs, although I’ve also used Burke and Marlin. I find the Crewfit to be the most comfortable. I need auto ones as I mostly fish solo and if I knock my head on the way into the drink, I want to be sure it self inflates! I find them easy enough to self service/test if you follow the instructions. I keep the original testing sheets and purchase receipts at home, with copies with my nav charts in a waterproof chart tube in my forward storage locker. I always remove the jackets after a trip and hang them in the garage. I left one in the storage locker in my boat once and it self inflated while I was washing the boat interior. 😂

They’ll be due for a self service inspection in the new year. Easy enough to do.