Fishing for bream on 15lb and landed an 86 cm Jewies

Pickles

Headed out on Sunday early in the Quinny with a buddy (not yet a ‘raider) in shocking weather - cold, windy and raining. The plan was to fish  light for bream and Flatties we were plagued by little Jewies AGAIN, but I was blessed to be able to upsize from Wednesday and snagged an 86cm Mulloway. The rig was a 2kg 7’ ugly stick matched to a 1000 Stradic spooled with 15lb braid and 12lb fluro leader and using fresh (Hawkesbury) prawns.
Initially I thought it was one of the dreaded pike eels, but once it took off and I lost about 40m of line in a few seconds, I knew it was going to be a decent jewie. On such light gear it took about 10 mins to get it to the net. It was pinned in the corner of the mouth with a 1/0 Gamagatsu Shiner hook (banana shape, perfect for presenting prawns to Flatties and bream). We also boated a nice 50cm flattie on a live herring.

I was faced with the age old conundrum when a buddy rings to go fishing on a Sunday - “Am I better off sitting in church thinking about fishing or sitting in a boat, fishing and thinking about God” (I reminded my self that Jesus 4 closest mates - Peter, Andrew, James and John, were fishermen).

A12D6367-E062-4B4C-BE37-3625F324B862.jpeg

• Like 17

Well done on the jewie Bob & nice upgrade.                                             
I’m sure the man upstairs was on your side considering the lousy weather & the conundrum you were in 👍

Edited by 61 crusher

Well Bob you did it again.

When the odds are against you (weather, religious conscience, too many soapies and even a hook shaped like a banana), you still come up with the goods.

Such a solid fish on light line, I'm sure the lord will pardon your deviation from his house and applaud your angling expertise.

Afterall, like you said, Jesus was a fisher of men. The fishermen were fishers of fish. Now you have become fisher of fishermen. That's quite a mix of fish, fishers and men. You are truly blessed, as are we to be privy to your stories and experiences.