Fishing - Dangerous, advice from a “fool”

Pickles

(For those who have been out fishing with me and sent messages of support - many thanks - I'm in the Hawkesbury and currently managing a flooded farm (we are high and dry) and road cut off at both ends . I tried to attach a pic of our “usually” gentle trickling creek which is now a raging torrent several metres deep and impassable, but file was too big to down load, please consider the following comments).

Fellow Raiders, we are “hunters and gatherers” and adventurers by nature, who love the outdoors, but caution and commonsense should prevail in these conditions. So DONT GO FISHING till this system has passed - from experience, Its not worth it.
I have a boat now due to an “adventure” fishing off the rocks 40 years ago (Mona-vale headland) where I washed backwards over the rocks and not into the water. I was chopped up pretty badly and my wife was there to see it and another (more experienced) fisho was there to grab me by the scruff of the neck and save the loss of more skin. (That’s why I now do most of my fishing from a boat).

There has been lots of comments about going out and “having a go”, but there is so much debris and such strong current that even “still water” is a risk. Hitting a partly floating  log/ debris whilst in a boat and getting thrown down (or in the water) or slipping on wet ground if it gives way (happened to me in the past) can lead to unforeseen outcomes.

STAY SAFE Raiders - Proverbs 12:15 “only a fool gives advice and only a wiseman takes it” 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Dave, always hard to know when it is OK to get out after a flood - one good indication is how much debris is washed up on the ramp - this indicates how much debris is in the water that is likely to be an obstacle for the boat (prop). In the Harbour, it is usually a good few days to a week after it has stopped raining and rubbish has stopped floating around. 

there will be crap in the water for weeks, especially upstream. fishing will be quite for awhile unless you like jewies and bull sharks. Consider prolific kings to be done this season.

I do agree, would be pretty silly to be going out while the entire coast is seeing some tons of rainfall and a crazy ammount of water running through our local systems. glad your high and dry though. 

As for the image, try uploading it to imgur and posting the link 

Guest Guest123456789

One of my dad's like lessons imparted to me:

You will get lots of advice supposedly 'straight from the horses mouth'. Your job is to determine if that advice really is from the horses mouth or instead from the horses arse.

1 hour ago, hucho hucho said:

It will be bad in Hawkesbury river for weeks, but what is your opinion about Berowra Waters or Cowan Creek?

both will clear quicker than the mainstream but you will still need to be careful for a while

• Like 1

The tributaries to the Hawkesbury and the upper reaches will still have lots of debris floating down - being pushed back and floating down again for quite a while, so if you’re out - keep your eyes open and If it was me (won’t be for at least a week) I would stick to daylight hours when you can see where you are going and what is coming.

• Like 1

Last time we had massive rains, the debris was still floating around Barr Point two weeks later as i nearly hit a log the size of a telegraph pole, once i got another 30mins up the river it was clear, the debris takes a while to work its way down the river.

My mate saw two dead dairy cows floating past when he was at Wisemans yesterday.