Boat trailer build

frankS

I am in the process of making a aluminium trailer for my Quintrex 14 foot project boat, which I will turn into a Centre console.
This build will take some time as I am not in the best of health and it takes me a while to do stuff.
I previously made some keel rollers and brackets, so that's a start.

20170917_113339fs.thumb.jpg.364837b18d03509ccdfb0dc1d6f1e503.jpg
I melted my alloy and cast the round forms , then done the lathe work to make them, solid Stainless steel axles.

First big job is making the X members 4" x 2" C channel cut, formed, welded and reinforced, 3 of these.

1410886545_trailerparts1.thumb.jpg.74e7a483219440a8ae02c3c492b7c025.jpg

Some time ago I bought a lot of alloy collets to melt down for various jobs
and these come in handy to make the keel roller adjustable stays, Stainless nuts and bolts, I will coat everything during assembly.

720049983_trailerparts2.thumb.jpg.3354e3ca5303d7cc109c4c85f674817f.jpg 

1973606959_trailerparts3.thumb.jpg.76f22f31fc7ce70ede3919d4f10f054d.jpg

Well that's about as far as I have got so far. as I said this project will take some time so I hope it gives some members something to follow as I progress through the operation.

Frank

• Like 8

Thanks guys for your kind remarks.

The welds are a bit rough, not your stack of dimes as the pro's do, but they are strong and if time permits I might pretty them up a but with a Dremel , but after all it's just a boat trailer and not a display piece of art.

Amazing how much time is involved with doing this type of work, everything has to cut, shaped and welded.

My hands are getting somewhat shaky and my eyes are getting weaker, but I will keep on going as long as I am fit enough to hold a welder and grinder.

It's a good thing I am not working for wages OR this thing would be way over priced.

Frank

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Top stuff Frank. For those who don't know Frank very well, let me fill you in. There is very little that he can't do and nothing that he won't try. His work ethic is outstanding, he does everything to an excellent standard. When this project is finished I can safely say that the vessel and trailer will be highly desirable. I, too am looking forward to seeing events unfold. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

Dave. How can I put this. Rubber for grip, as in car tyres on a road, for a boat to slide off a trailer think of railroad locomotive wheels on steel track, yes they do eventually wear out and need maintenance, but only after thousands and thousands of miles, with a boat rolling off a trailer maybe once or twice a week it's gonna be a pretty long time before any wear is evident. Rubber rollers on a alloy keel wear very quickly, that's why they generally recommend a tougher type material.   

I have had alloy rollers on a trailer I made in 1997 and there is still no wear visible, that boat gets used pretty well every week of the year . And BTW it is also aluminium and has no cracks and needs very little maintenance , still going strong.

Frank

• Like 2

Alloy rollers were pretty common, but I think they were just so expensive compared to off the shelf rubber ones they just disappeared, then they used brown hard plastic ones, they lasted for years too, but now there're gone too and only poly rollers or black rubber ones are around.

Yes Noel is right, far too expensive to commonly use.

To buy a round of solid aluminium say 230mm x 60mm would cost around $60 and then you would get 2x 4" rollers from it once it is lathed up , which takes me approx 1 hour to do each one, and at the wages these days you can guess how much it would cost to buy ready made solid alloy keel rollers in this day and age.

I am pretty lucky where I melt down my own alloy from scrap and form into different objects, and my labor doesn't cost anything.

I have  good tools that help me do what I do, but there are other tools that I can't afford that would help me do better faster jobs, like a Mill machine.

I am fully self taught, never spent one day in tech and I have taught myself many skills in my lifetime. mind you Utube has helped me in the past 10 years.

Anyone could do the same it's just a matter of perseverance.

Frank

• Like 6

I'm a bit the same, I do have some formal qualifications (some pretty impressive and very diverse) but in the main, I am a do it myself kind of person, done everything from tiling, gyprock, building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, fibreglassing and a million other home handyman things, I am trying to teach my grandkids how to do "stuff" but so far, not much is sinking in!

• Like 2

Next steps, Skids, and A frame built, X members tacked onto frame.

1071891611_trailerbuild6.thumb.jpg.f7d249cc3bda06ac65122b871788412b.jpg

1219603442_trailerbuild7.thumb.jpg.baedd5d521ffa0d76c161ac93e49c509.jpg

2092737678_trailerbuild5.thumb.jpg.fbd406508af1e9ec29a96db9429ae9f1.jpg

Back in the day when I built trailers on a pretty regular basis I had a jig made up and all I had to do was cut and place lengths of whatever metal used in the jig tack weld it all up and I knew everything was square and level. Unfortunately I lent the jig to a mate, he moved interstate and has since passed on. So now I have to measure everything, work out where each piece is going and hope like hell that everything lines up and fits where it should. Makes everything 3 times as long as when I had the jig.

Building another jig now for a one off trailer is just not worth the effort.

Frank

Had a slight mishap with a pop rivet ( right bottom ) that's life.

Have to clean up workshop one of these days.

Edited by frankS
added text
  • Like 1

Looking great Frank :thumbup:

Id love to come out & see how your doing the welding & get a lesson as I have always wanted to learn how to weld but unfortunately I am just to busy with work at the moment as I have just started a new fulltime job(or should I say fortunately after the last 12 months.

I have always read that ally welding is a much harder process??

Will keep a watch as I am also interested in what axle & suspension you will use plus the process of getting it registered.

Adrian. You are very welcome to come anytime and I would show you the fundamentals of welding, Steel Alloys and Stainless all have their different settings etc. I do stick M I G and T I G welding but mostly T I G these days especially with alloy and Stainless.

My welds are far better when I can sit down and brace my hands rather than standing or stooping over etc, just getting too shaky for that, but unfortunately there are times where you just can't get to a weld when seated.

With Alloy welding the main thing is clean material, and I have individual grinders, brushes and fluids for each material and each one does not touch the other material.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Looking great Frank :thumbup:

Id love to come out & see how your doing the welding & get a lesson as I have always wanted to learn how to weld but unfortunately I am just to busy with work at the moment as I have just started a new fulltime job(or should I say fortunately after the last 12 months.

I have always read that ally welding is a much harder process??

Will keep a watch as I am also interested in what axle & suspension you will use plus the process of getting it registered.

Registration is not as simple as it used to be. Build trailer, get it weighed ( about $30 for weighbridge ticket ) take to Blue slip inspector around $36 for inspection, stamp details on plate or direct to frame, take inspection report to Services and fill out form. You have to have receipts of materials etc, then pay fee and get plate.

Frank 

• Like 2

I assume you will be making stainless axles for those lovely alloy rollers.  Have made my own stainless axles for my last 2 boats with nylon rollers and try to convert everyone to do the same.  Rollers roll easier and never stick even if I get a bit slack with the greasing.  Ron 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, campr said:

I assume you will be making stainless axles for those lovely alloy rollers.  Have made my own stainless axles for my last 2 boats with nylon rollers and try to convert everyone to do the same.  Rollers roll easier and never stick even if I get a bit slack with the greasing.  Ron 

Yes mate, as stated in post 1 Solid Stainless Steel axles. I don't grease them at all as salt sticks to grease like shit to a blanket. flush with cold water after each session is all they need. The axles can wear the alloy brackets a bit but replacing them after a few years is not a bit issue for me.

Frank

Not a lot happening today as I had a couple of household chores I had to catch up on.

However I needed some brackets to hold the skids to the frame and had no 8mm angle so I had to compromise and make them, 2 x angle welded together. Then I have to weld them onto the skids. Although there will be virtually no weight on these skids, I still want them strong. They just support the hull from wobbling side to side they don't bear weight.

Stupid me have gone ahead and pop riveted the skid poly material to the skid and now IF I weld the brackets it's going to melt the poly stuff. So have to un pop the poly stuff , weld the brackets then re pop the material back on. Think I would have learnt after building so many trailers, but I still make mistakes.

316444809_trailerbuild8.thumb.jpg.98b09ce879ce02a0b100d9a2714814ee.jpg

Frank

• Like 2

nice welds on those brackets to .thankyou for teaching me on dont mix up grinder blades on different metals before welding ,i feel so happy when i learn something new ,makes alot of sense but never thought of it cheers dunc333