When the plan comes together.....Georges River

SaltyGreek

Our plan for me and my mate Oliver was to attempt to catch squid for bait in order to chase a silver slab up the Georges before soccer, homework and other commitments could catch up to us. We managed to find some time and with perfect conditions ahead of us we went for it.

Pulled up to bass and flinders point with Oliver at about 1:30pm to try and gather some squid for bait. After walking down to a promising looking spot and flicking our jigs around for about 30 minutes without anything we decided to walk to Gunnamatta Bay to try our luck there. After a 30 minute walk, we get 2 tiny arrows on the first 2 casts before they went quiet for an hour. Oli managed to get another 2 in 2 casts just in time before we had to leave beating me 3-1 in the squidding. Not bad for his first time. With not long to spare we drove back to our spot on the Georges, hoping that our efforts will pay off.

After an eel and 2 snags later, we had our first proper bite at the jew spot. Oli's squid strip rod slowly bouncing on and off for a minute until nothing, I look over at my rod with the full squid, watch it get one solid tap and then it loaded up and started screaming off drag. After a solid 25 second run on the 6000 bait runner, I was able to gain some line back before the fish went for another small run. Heart pumping and nerves high, I was able to  5 minutes later, we have an exhausted jew on the surface and after a few attempts from the fish to duck down deep again, we had him in the net. YESSSS! We were both stoked and relieved that our hard work and persistence payed off after many failed sessions. Oliver called the fish in at a metre and whilst I wasn't too sure at first, the tape measure showed the fish to be 102cm...a new PB for me. 

This fish was only the beginning of the hecticness. After getting multiple photos and a phone call from @JamoDamoboth rods start screaming off at the same time. A double hook-up on jew....something we never even expected to happen. Unfortunately Oliver's fish busted him off and my fish pulled the hooks. Whilst this was all happening, my phone slipped out of my pocket and fell in the water...my license, school id and opal card scattered in a metre of water. Wasting no time, I took my shoes and shirt off and in I went recovering all items except for the school id. Now i was soaking but i was surprisingly not cold at all. Must’ve been the adrenaline 😂

Whilst me and oli were still trying to comprehend what had just happened, my rod starts screaming again. Oliver went to picked it up but we unfortunately missed the run. It went quiet after the last run and whilst STILL trying to comprehend what had happened, the battery on our torch dies, so now we're relying on our eyes to bait rods, cast and move around the spot without slipping into the water. Whilst it seemed like everything was going wrong, this was the most fun we've had fishing in a while. We finished the night with 1 solid jew for our efforts. So happy to have landed this fish and hopefully there's more to come in the near future. 

Weighed in at 8.8kg

AF5D0EC8-49BD-4F29-846E-158FB8F48169.thumb.jpeg.30bc28e4d7578be171b7c6b59638dfe1.jpeg

Edited by SaltyGreek
  • Like 17

• SaltyGreek changed the title to When the plan comes together.....Georges River

I am beyond jealous man! But I couldn't be happier for you! Second landbased jew in the georges and a metery wow! I've got to come next time... I've got to score myself a legal jew.... Well done! 

James

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamoDamo said:

I am beyond jealous man! But I couldn't be happier for you! Second landbased jew in the georges and a metery wow! I've got to come next time... I've got to score myself a legal jew.... Well done! 

James

We’ll find a suitable time to chase them again soon. But thanks again james! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Excellent report fellas ! 

That sounds like an adrenalin packed session.

Im curious fellas, how are you presenting your hooks on your bait. Shouldnt have that many pulled hooks after a run.

I Was using a snell rig i made...4/0 and 6/0 hooks. 1 hook through the top of the hood and one in the bottom. We only pulled hooks on one fish though the others we picked up a touch too early

That is an awesome tale and well done on cracking the metre. The other runs must have had your heads spinning!

My son showed me your video after catching the beast. Going to the effort of catching fresh bait was all worth it!

Smiles say it all!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Awesome fish and report.

Great to see it made it past the metre and all the hard work along with the previous donuts have paid off.

Hope your phone survived the dunking.

Thank you. The phone survived for a bit before it shit itself down....took it to the shop to see if they can fix it hopefully its all g 

6 hours ago, jenno64 said:

That is an awesome tale and well done on cracking the metre. The other runs must have had your heads spinning!

My son showed me your video after catching the beast. Going to the effort of catching fresh bait was all worth it!

Smiles say it all!

He mustve seem either my snap or instagram story...but yeah we were so hyped that we got so many runs it was a lot of fun