Brisbane Water Blinder

LuckyFil

After a very tough summer and autumn on the flathead in Brisbane Waters I had a blinder yesterday. I was flicking SPs and a soft vibe and it started off slow, actually dead, for the first hour and half. I began fishing the inlets around St Huberts Island on the last couple of hours of the run out. I figured I'd start up there and then follow the run out to other spots around Hardys Bay and Ettalong. After zero hits around the island I realised I better get moving to catch the last of the tide  so moved downstream of The Rip to the edge of a weedbed that sometimes produces a fish or two. After a few casts I got hit by a medium sized flattie of about 42 cm - at last something to bring home! Long story short over the next hour I caught 11 more moving along that same stretch, many were either under sized or borderline - I don't keep anything under 40cm. So with 4 keepers I moved to another drop off and caught another 3 fish in 15 minutes all slightly better in the 45-50cm range.

That made a total of 15 fish in an hour and a half. I've never had a session like it. They were hitting the same wriggler tail sp and the same soft vibe I've been using for ages - and which they ignored for the last 6 months. I always fish the last of the runout and pretty much the same 3 or 4 locations . Why they went off this time I don't know maybe the full moon and big tide?  

I've spread the fillets around the family and with some friends over tonight we'll be enjoying the results. Also good to know there were so many small flathead who will be that much bigger next year.

Thanks also to the other Raider SWFisho who's recent report inspired me to have another go when he caught a few fatties in his local patch recently.

Cheers

Fil

IMG_4138.jpg.16cfc038285714696073ee20fd161dab.jpg 

• Like 13

Nice catch of fish, at a good eating size.

Could be that the last of the prawns have been moving out with the big tides of the last few nights, and the flatties know they are there.

• Like 2

very nice catch ,  is there anywhere around  Ettalong ,Kilcare,Wagstaffe where i can find poddy mullet to your knowledge , were going to try around the bridge  one of these days  and i would like to have about a dozen  mullet to use  on the day , 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, leonardgid said:

very nice catch ,  is there anywhere around  Ettalong ,Kilcare,Wagstaffe where i can find poddy mullet to your knowledge , were going to try around the bridge  one of these days  and i would like to have about a dozen  mullet to use  on the day , 

Can't say I've seen them consistently anywhere but I have noticed them at times around the wharf and boat ramp at Pretty Beach