Port Stephens- Back on Home Ground

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Sorry I’ve been a bit absent from the forum and fishing scene lately but my kids have had me driving all over the country side. 
Im finally back on home turf for a week or two before I’m off again chasing kids in representative sport. 

So yesterday, I hatched a plan with @back cruncherto get out for the day but unfortunately Mick had a few issues with the boat. 
So I gave @Rodeoa buzz and the conditions were too good not to head out. 
We left shoal bay at 5:15 and had a quick look for livies. Wasn’t much showing on the sounder so we didn’t bother and headed straight up to the island. First drift was perfect but there was a lack of bait present although I managed a ghost bite and landed a nice snaps in the mid 50’s. Moved on from there and with another nice drift, same thing no bait and no bite. Tried two other locations and it was dead as a door nail. Things were looking pretty glum until we reached our next spot. Wasn’t the drift we were looking for but there was bait present and the fish started coming onto the deck thick and fast. We managed a few in the mid 50’s and then I came up tight to a decent model in the 70’s that stuck and into the net. Reset the drift and I got schooled by a decent king and my leader came back looking like party string. 
My mate was into the action with a few kings and pannies for the box. 
Then I loaded up big time and had the rod screaming. As I managed to stop its run, I could tell this was a massive snapper and quite possibly a PB. I fought it for some 5-6 minutes and just when I thought I had it under control, POP!!! It took me a while to gain composure after that with a few choice words but I retied a new leader and just kept casting. We managed a few more decent fish and called it a day! 
I was happy we at least found some decent ones considering the start we had. Plenty of whales about to sooth the soul on the way home! Gotta love Port Stephens ❤️

Cheers scratchie!!! 

1BD83495-533D-4AD7-98B5-365A419EADB7.thumb.jpeg.2c4b940bf9dca0f9a9ce70dc20bcab0d.jpeg

8C0B7C76-1E33-447B-8EDE-E27C53B05C3B.thumb.jpeg.e7fde59fe5f44bc5d7ec277d117b0bdd.jpeg

E9E912C6-634B-4DCD-AA9B-CCBCB22B8D22.thumb.jpeg.6f1311cba1c7c671fd14372bf223d56d.jpeg

B2AD25D5-E9A1-45AD-BFA0-7F2857BA74FF.thumb.png.158f5c5d125d3aead7b1319b4b336d0d.png

• Like 21

Nice work Jeff, just the day you wish you were using 30lb set up & not the 20lb right 😒

Been hearing about the huge numbers of HB whales around this year which is great to hear!

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/conservation/sea-of-whales-first-sightings-off-australia-of-huge-humpback-pods-20210602-p57xc9.html

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Awesome stuff as always champ.

Some cracking reds there

Cheers Sam 🤙

17 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice fish there Scratchie, and the last drift was the best.

It is a good feeling to land a reddie that is bigger than a kingie. 😆

Thanks Yowie. Yeah the struggle was real for the first part of the morning. But once we found the bait, the fish were there! 

16 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great haul. Super photos. Well done. It doesn't get better than that.

Cheers.

Thanks rebel. It sure doesn’t 🤙

16 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Man there is some great fish there love the photos 

Cheers mate! 

12 hours ago, Ryder said:

Good stuff, Pity about the big one.

Oh, I’m still not over it. 

12 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice work Jeff, just the day you wish you were using 30lb set up & not the 20lb right 😒

Been hearing about the huge numbers of HB whales around this year which is great to hear!

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/conservation/sea-of-whales-first-sightings-off-australia-of-huge-humpback-pods-20210602-p57xc9.html

Yes I do wish I had 30lb but would I have got the bite? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

The whales are awesome too watch. Heaps of them atm just cruising and enjoying Port Stephens 🤙

3 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...well done as usual Jeff....

Cheers mate! We’ll get out soon for sure! 

9 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

That’s why you’re a legend! Top shelf fish Scratchie. 
cheers Zoran 

Don’t be silly! Legends are usually dead! 🤣🤣🤣 But thanks Zoran! 

Great stuff, Jeff!

Hey! You know I get Wednesday off one week and Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off the next week, right?😉😂 And I’m actually in a position to fish more often now, especially if my wife hears that you wanted company fishing… she doesn’t like to see people disappointed! 😉😂

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff, Jeff!

Hey! You know I get Wednesday off one week and Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off the next week, right?😉😂 And I’m actually in a position to fish more often now, especially if my wife hears that you wanted company fishing… she doesn’t like to see people disappointed! 😉😂

Haha! Thanks Baz. 
Mate I’ll get you out there as soon as can! Glad to hear you’ve got permission 🤙

• Like 1