Winter Jewfish

Pickles

I haven’t been out into the harbour chasing the winter run of big Kingies for 2 weeks (been training a new gun dog and a few comps and trials coming up) and with COVID restrictions meaning “ boat ramp closest to where you live in your municipal area” , so decided last week that the unseasonable run of warm winter days would mean water temp in the Hawkesbury should mean Jewies and Flatties might be on the menu. My wife agreed to drive / accompany me so we set Tuesday as a day for fisherman’s basket tea. It was a cold and frosty start to the day, so made a late start - leaving the ramp at 7am. The day proved to be productive with a feed of Flatties and 9 sub-legal Jewies and this nice one to Julie (I always let her catch the biggest). All the bream have migrated down stream to the mouth (caught some stockers there a few weeks back).

The water temp was only 13.5, but even so we got a good feed, but not much fight in them. All fish were caught on 15lb braid with 15lb fluro on Paternoster Rig as this allows a change in sinkers as the tidal flow changes. I use an “easy rig” above the swivel to mainline allowing line to runout freely. For Jewies and bream I use a 2/0or 3/0 “shiner” hook and always Hawkesbury prawns (which I get direct from trawlers -$17 a kg). In summer I also use herring, which are easy to catch on the turn of the tide, but disappear once the flow starts.

Interestingly and unlike the popular opinion, I usually get the Jewies before or after the  slack water and usually in very shallow water. Commonly the bigger models (80-110) in 3-4m off the banks where the Flatties hang out and not in deep holes.

CAB38A89-1EDD-4153-A542-2F41AA4384BE.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
Addition
  • Like 17

Good to see that you're not allowing the rust to set in Bob. Nice Jewie to Julie too. Looking forward to the months ahead as the weather warms up a bit and travel may be permitted again. Meanwhile keep the reports coming. Cheers, bn

16 minutes ago, motiondave said:

Nice stuff, I was wondering about the Hawkesbury and fishing but these damn restrictions on places we can go. 

It's one hour drive for me to...

Botany bay..

Pittwater...

Cowan...

Roseville...

Which are classed as in Sydney Metro.

But Brooklyn is also one hour drive yet out of area...

Are you sure?

https://www.nsw.gov.au/media-releases/new-covid-19-restrictions-for-greater-sydney-23-june-2021#metropolitan-sydney-map

Metro.JPG

Great report mate!

There has been some reports of really nice Jew coming through at the moment - Despite the water temps.

Mate of mine got a 96 and 104 at the bluffs on monday but were finding it hard with the squid thinning out.

Spewing my boat is off the water - All for a good cause though!

Herring is my top bait for flatties and Jewies throughout the summer months in the Hawkesbury, Usually fishing wisemans - Berowra.

7 hours ago, Crabstar said:

well done on the jew!

If only my misses would come out in winter..... She is set on her times, Strictly December, January and Feb only for her.  

Tell her -  it is EOFY clearance on jews. 2 for 1. Only a few large sizes left. While stocks last. New stock will require bigger boat.

3 minutes ago, savit said:

Tell her -  it is EOFY clearance on jews. 2 for 1. Only a few large sizes left. While stocks last. New stock will require bigger boat.

That comment would go down deluxe at my place…not 🤣🤣🤣