Photography challenge

DerekD

14 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

You might spur me on to get all my photo's out of the garage & go through them all, there's not much else to do at the moment 😏

Please do. You've posted some cracking ones so far and if you have others in the garage like these then it would be a shame not to share them.

• Like 1

Transport: A friend asked me to get some photographs of his lovingly customised Vespa...IMG_8519Edit.thumb.JPG.50c8cefc453401af82213fbe2fa006fe.JPGIMG_8525.thumb.JPG.d56eeab87b5f4c290d3c4a37d6a353d3.JPG

IMG_8539.thumb.JPG.ee26f5a746a61f152ea758edb72f90f6.JPG

Taken with Canon EOS 80D and 18 to 135mm lens. The challenge was trying to keep my image out of the mirror like reflective surfaces (unsuccessfully, if you look carefully at the photos).

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, frankS said:

Not trying to compete but thought you may like to see this one.

Bermagui during the fires that wiped out part of Cobargo, my second home.

614122038_cobargoonfire.thumb.jpg.e0a7ffa11c1ca36d6d9e335d41456fde.jpg

Frank

@frankSFrank that certainly was a horrific time for the residents and surroundings of Cobargo, very hard to imagine how it would have been. One of my old school mates lives in Cobargo and he lost his house and most of everything else in that terrible day. You may well know him or know of him......Dave Rugendyke. He's a fantastic bloke who all his life has given so much to people and communities (he used to be a Community Policeman here in Canberra).

Great pic too

cheers

Dave

10 hours ago, frankS said:

Not trying to compete...

Frank

Hi Frank,

This thread was never intended as a competition. It was intended for people to get inspired and take out their cameras and try and create beautiful or touching images to share with the rest of us. It was also an opportunity for people to get out their old images which would currently be collecting the equivalent of electronic dust. The list of topics was added to provide some motivation.

Really appreciate you sharing this with us.

Derek

The photos being put up in this thread are great and I'm really enjoying them. Social media tends to generate two types of users...those who participate and those who could but don't for whatever reason they put forward.

Let me "reach out" to all Fishraiders and say " post some photos in this thread". It doesn't take long to put something together, so how about it?

bn

• Like 2

Hey Jocler. Those are great pics from a phone... they look like postcards. Hope ur keeping well down on the South Coast.

Great "action" photo of the dog drying off Dave. I want to take some good action pics once I understand the camera a little better.

I love reflection photos Donna. Kakadu is on the bucket list, so much to see.

Great reflection photo of the majestic Pelican in flight too Green Hornet. Such a strange looking bird, yet so graceful in flight.

Photos are a "FREEZE FRAME" moment in time, something to jog our memories, create emotion, stimulate the imagination. How fortunate are we to be living in a time when photography and memory saving moments are so easily achieved.

bn

• Like 3

@big Neil your comment on the moment in time got me thinking of photos I have. I may have posted these before but they have stories.

8th August 2015 swordie and I took off on a Garuda Indonesia flight for a few weeks in Bali. As we were approaching Denpasar the captain announced that a volcano had erupted and the Ngurah Rai Airport was closed.

We were now headed towards Java. The plane flew up high over the cloud cover.  I quickly scanned to view out the window and saw the ash trail (bottom left pic).

Captain was almost about to tell us he was landing to get fuelled up and suddenly announced Bali airport was open! 

Off we flew back to Bali (see flight path). The remaining pic shows the ash trail again on approach. 

We landed to a completely empty airport never before seen until pandemic times.

Here is swordie with his holder of fishing rods in the arrivals hall. We later found out we were the only flight let in before they closed the airport again! Always travel the national carrier in any country that you can’t get on a Qantas flight ;)

8C89B1D2-5D3F-4455-9456-D943B9AC00F7.jpeg2AE46621-2782-42ED-AD1A-C8447BD8539D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's exactly what I mean Donna. I bet you relived those moments of anxiety and relief over again through those photos. A truly unique set of circumstances to include in the memory banks of you and Stewy. How was the fishing?

bn

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

That's exactly what I mean Donna. I bet you relived those moments of anxiety and relief over again through those photos. A truly unique set of circumstances to include in the memory banks of you and Stewy. How was the fishing?

bn

Fishing for Stewy was always good there. GT Popping in Bali have a look at a 2010 trip :) 

https://youtu.be/jqVrzCtSIHk 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent video Donna. Well done Stewy, those GTs certainly take a bit of stopping. Thanks for sharing the video.

MESSAGE TO OTHER RAIDERS: Have a look at the video above, gotta make you green with envy. 

bn

• Thanks 1

Circular polarising filters.

I got into digital SLR (Single Lens Reflex) cameras about 15 years ago. It was a Canon EOS 350D which I still have. At the time these came with a course from the photography shop. It meant people could start to get more out of their cameras and gave the shop the chance for more sales.

At the course they introduced us to circular polarising filters and it blew me away. There are many things that can be done post-processing but at the time what this filter can do could not be replicated with software (and probably still can't to my knowledge). Essentially it is like a set of adjustable sunglasses for your camera. With a turn of the filter I can change the impact of the photo dramatically. I can take out the glare and make the image warmer and sky blues richer or deliberately leave the glare in for a harsher look. One photo is not necessarily better over the other depending on what I want to convey to the viewer. The filter also lets you look into water. The following pairs of photos were taken seconds apart but with a quarter twist of the filter for dramatic impact. If you have a digital SLR and haven't used one of these filters then I highly recommend getting one.

A farmers field in Holland:

IMG_7534.thumb.JPG.5fe4afa1a3b03ae4eb451ce450f05bea.JPG

IMG_7533.thumb.JPG.9e2f73b950be8f3dc9f6f90542c026e6.JPG

The beach at Ijmuiden at the entrance to the sea in Northern Holland. Look at the reflection of the water on the right around the rocks.

IMG_7470.thumb.JPG.28216f6935e1eb9fcbc9efb9de0ad056.JPG

IMG_7469.thumb.JPG.54acb6893322b9df815ff61c4d142c6a.JPG

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Clouds.

Took this one at Balmoral beach in Mosman several months ago. Sent it to the Bureau of Meteorology Calendar competition: http://www.bom.gov.au/calendar/

Just found out I made it to the final 200 (but not 12) of 1200 entries for next year's calendar. If this is as close as I got with the following, I would love to see the other photos that were submitted. Too nice to sit collecting electronic dust in the drives of my computer so I thought I'd share it here. Not often that you catch spectacular clouds, a storm, a rainbow and the moon in one photo. This is straight from the camera without post processing. Enjoy.

IMG_5997.thumb.JPG.e587228ebb700804113311cf39b23568.JPG

• Like 3

Hi Derek, that photo created an immediate emotion in me. In the foreground we have all the man made stuff (piers, pylons, and boats). Hovering menacingly above is Mother Nature (always present), serving as a reminder of just how fragile our tenure on this planet really is. As if coincidental, this pandemic is further reminder of that reality...

As you say, the calendar will have some spectacular photos in it Derek. Well worth a look when it comes out. Meantime, keep an eye out for opportunities for next year's comp.

Cheers, Neil