Impeller question

Greg Foster

Hi all

I haven’t been on for a while but have a question if I can ask

I changed the impeller in June last year and have used the boat twice since then for an hour in total running 

I flush the  motor with muffs running them for 5 minutes when I get home

although I have only used the motor for an hour it’s been over a year since the impeller he’s been changed and the boat ,motor and trailer have been sitting in the shed

The weather is getting warmer and I want to take it out

should I change the impeller before I go out ?
mechanic is $280

(included in service is impeller change)

thanks

Greg

If you start it up in the drive with muffs & you get a good strong flow from the tell tale then there is your answer.

Impellers should last several years but lack of use does tend to harden them depending on the quality. 

On the flip side lots of hours as well would probably warrant a change but then that would be at a regular service interval Id say.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

Thanks kingie 

I am working tomorrow and Friday so will get the ss minnow out Saturday morning put the muffs on the motor and give it a run

on another note I have to premix my fuel ,is it worth running 98 octane or just stick with 95 ?

59 minutes ago, Greg Foster said:

Thanks kingie 

I am working tomorrow and Friday so will get the ss minnow out Saturday morning put the muffs on the motor and give it a run

on another note I have to premix my fuel ,is it worth running 98 octane or just stick with 95 ?

My mate is an excellent mechanic and he reckons use only UNLEADED in a 2 stroke. I have been using it in my 15HP Yamaha (100:1)  and it never misses a beat. Kingie offers good advice too. Run the motor to establish whether the impeller is working effectively. Provided you flush after every trip in the salt there shouldn't be a problem. Difficult at present but try to use the motor more regularly. Good luck bn

If you are mechanically inclined it's a very basic/easy job to change an impeller with very basic hand tools.

For $280 you'll change it for the rest of your life and still have change.

Dealers will tell you to change it every year 100hrs etc but honestly it's not necessary.Iv'e had the same impellor in boats for years without an issue.

Every month or so fire it up in a drum or on the muffs and every few weeks go over to your boat and pull the starter rope or hit the key for a second or so with the kill switch removed to turn the impeller so that it doesn't sit in the same position while the boat sits and gets a set in the vanes.

I haven't used my boat since before Covid(Probably 2 yrs now) and I just started it today in a drum and pumps water like it did the day I put it away using these methods.

Good luck with what ever option you pick.

• Like 1

I have never had an Impeller problem with the boats that I have owned.

I was always told to run the motor once a week, just in case salt was going to be a problem.

Where I live now I have a very nosey neighbour. When I see him sneaking around I start up the outboard and he disappears.

I don't think he likes noise. Poor dear.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I have never had an Impeller,with the boats that I have owned.

I was always told to run the motor once a week, just in case salt was going to be a problem.

Where I live now I have a very nosey neighbour. When I see him sneaking around I start up the outboard and he disapears.

I don't think he likes noise. Poor dear.

Cheers.

I have a heap of ear plugs and a couple sets of spare ear muffs for the neighbour I can send you if you like?😂😂

Thanks, but I will let him suffer. Just another pest.

And he doesn't like fishing. Strange guy. I think his wife beats him.

She's got a voice on her like a fog horn.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel
  • Haha 2

Most outboards recommend 200hr replacement periods now. Personally I get around 2-3 years out of mine but I do check them on each service (or at least the mobile mechanic does). Never had an impeller fail in over 40 yrs of boating.

Most water pumps will last for years, unless you operate in sand/mud, or the boat sits for very long periods, genuine parts are way superior to cheap copies when it comes to operation and longevity.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JonD said:

Most outboards recommend 200hr replacement periods now. Personally I get around 2-3 years out of mine but I do check them on each service (or at least the mobile mechanic does). Never had an impeller fail in over 40 yrs of boating.

They must have magically found a new material for impellors now that last twice as long.😂😂😂

• Like 1

The biggest killer is running them dry , sitting for 12 months won’t hurt it as it is a relatively new impeller- if it was an old one I would say change it as impeller can get a set in it if left sitting for a long time and to stop this just go out to the boat and turn the motor over half a turn once a month .

You should always start your motor before you take it out just to check for any problems , I have seen people at boat ramps tying up one lane trying to start a motor or trying to work out why there is no water coming from the tell tale - could be a pump or it could just be some sand stuck in it and I have had mine blocked by a tiny wasp making a nest in it . Another thing you should check is that the thermostat is opening .

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

They must have magically found a new material for impellors now that last twice as long.😂😂😂

That was the quoted interval with my last two Yamaha 4 strokes in the maintenance book. The commercial abalone boat I often drive, we would be changing impellers in under two week intervals if we stuck with the 100hr period. I think times have changed from the days where people only did 50hrs per year, 50hrs is less than 5 days of pulling lures out wide for many people.

Edited by JonD

I changed the impeller on my 2003 Yamaha last year as part of a full service and the mechanic said the plastic housing had some heat damage due to no water in the pump , I remember this happening when I was flushing using the ears and it was running for about 15 seconds at most as the ears have to be in just the right spot to work properly on this motor . He said the impeller was still in good condition which is pretty good service for 17 yrs .

F250 4.2 Yamaha, service interval for water pump is 3 years /300 hours .

Mercury 250 Optimax on my previous boat was the same .

If you operate in muddy water or you run it dry ( I have seen people start them on the boat ramp out of the water) more frequent service is required.

Mercs have a water pressure gauge, if you happen to damage the impellor, pressure will drop somewhat so you will know to inspect it long before she overheats.

Hi all

i have been stuck at work and no chance to get on forum 

anyway here is a short video of motor running just know 

took a bit to start and a tad smoky - 2 stroke 50:1 and 95 octane 

going by the video is the impeller working ok without changing it for the moment 

thanks 

greg

I am Happy  pay $280 but wife runs the budget and I am going on a hunting trip next month that I haven’t mentioned yet

if I take her out in the boat a few times before I drop the I am going hunting darling 

I have a good chance of a positive reply 😇

• Like 1