Port Hacking - a bit quiet

Yowie

A bit of a change from last time. Just to let you know what was not happening.

Headed out early to the deep near Lilli Pilli. Very cold heading against the wind. 🥶

Was hoping for an early morning tailor, nothing doing. Pulled out the reddies on pillies and fish strips, plus another just under size. A few little pickers pinching baits, plus a small female crab that was sent back. Nothing on the surface.

Headed to the mouth of South West Arm and threw out a lure for nothing.

Then to Maianbar flats, pumped some nippers and nothing. A lot of kelp rolling along the flats, tangled the line many times. The kelp gets washed off the ocean rocks during big seas, and spreads up the channel to Gunnamatta and Burraneer Bays, and over the sand flats and occasionally to Lilli Pilli. A new batch from a few days ago.

Tried Fishermans Bay for nothing, and the southerly picked up. Headed to Gunnamatta Bay, the wind a bit strong for drifting, but finally a fish, took a bit of line then the hook pulled. Probably a nice bream. More drifting but no more bites so headed home.

Just one of those days.

fish.jpeg.313_files_files.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Headed out early to the deep near Lilli Pilli. Very cold heading against the wind. 🥶

Was hoping for an early morning tailor, nothing doing. Pulled out the reddies on pillies and fish strips, plus another just under size. A few little pickers pinching baits, plus a small female crab that was sent back. Nothing on the surface.

Then to Maianbar flats, pumped some nippers and nothing. A lot of kelp rolling along the flats, tangled the line many times. The kelp gets washed off the ocean rocks during big seas, and spreads up the channel to Gunnamatta and Burraneer Bays, and over the sand flats and occasionally to Lilli Pilli. A new batch from a few days ago.

Tried Fishermans Bay for nothing, and the southerly picked up. Headed to Gunnamatta Bay, the wind a bit strong for drifting, but finally a fish, took a bit of line then the hook pulled. Probably a nice bream. More drifting but no more bites so headed home.

Just one of those days.

I'd be happy with those twins mate.Great report as usual.I'm able to fish again now but can't due to restrictions.Looking forward to when I can as I'm itching to help fatten those fish up with my bait.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I'd be happy with those twins mate.Great report as usual.I'm able to fish again now but can't due to restrictions.Looking forward to when I can as I'm itching to help fatten those fish up with my bait.

The fish should be starting up soon. I saw some small tarwhine, bream and whiting scooting about last week, also a few good sized whiting in places, so you will be O.K. to catch some.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

It’s been quiet everywhere Yowie! But those two pannies will make a perfect lunch 😋 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Well, they made a nice dinner. Filleted, boned and cooked in a new recipe I found.

• Like 1

I would be happy with a couple of nice pan sized fish like that. You are so spoilt being able to still go fishing.

I can't even register the boat as they have stopped all boat registrations till these restrictions are lifted.

Tried to register trailer but blue slip is out of date, I have been in lockdown so didn't want to leave my home, but they won't accept that as an excuse and now I need to get another blue slip.

Frank

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

A nice pair of pinkies Yowie - so good to be living close to the water. Love to read your reports.

Thank you.

I like living near the water, but also like travelling about Aus in my caravan, plenty to see here and there - also fishing where I can.

3 hours ago, frankS said:

I would be happy with a couple of nice pan sized fish like that. You are so spoilt being able to still go fishing.

I can't even register the boat as they have stopped all boat registrations till these restrictions are lifted.

Tried to register trailer but blue slip is out of date, I have been in lockdown so didn't want to leave my home, but they won't accept that as an excuse and now I need to get another blue slip.

Frank

Better than nothing at all.

Just received my boat rego renewal, so will give them a call. Those pen pushers can be difficult at times.

5 hours ago, Yowie said:

The fish should be starting up soon. I saw some small tarwhine, bream and whiting scooting about last week, also a few good sized whiting in places, so you will be O.K. to catch some.

Let's start off with smaller steps mate. I'd be happy just losing a bait to a puffer fish.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Nice platies there Yowie

If the butchers ever get locked down, you'll be safe with that form:)

Thank you, but I still like a good steak, so the butchers need to keep open. 😁

On 8/26/2021 at 8:26 PM, Yowie said:

Just one of those days.

i would be happy if i caught legal red bream for once in the port hacking

A bad day for you Yowie looks pretty good to me.  I’m stuck in lockdown too, so no fishing anytime soon.  I didn’t get to wet my boat last year due to work demands but now have a better work schedule,  well when I’m back that is. Until then I’m just at home until the restrictions lift.  

Hi Fab!  All all is good with you 

• Like 1