Port Hacking, luck is on my side.

Isaac Ct

Hi raiders,

Headed out on the port hacking yesterday morning. Left Yowie Bay boat ramp at 6:30 and shot over to Gooseberry bay, South West Arm. Started to burley up with pilchards and bread mixed with water and pellets. Plenty of surface action with many yakkas/slimies jumping around the boat with schools of tailor and salmon running a muck. Forgot to pack the lures so no surface action today😐. Gooseberry Bay is a good spot but you have to be patient, constant berley every 20 or so minutes, maybe 5-10 pilly cubes. After about an hour of burley started to get some bites. Got 'im. Finally, hooked up and not a bad fish at all. Started to take some drag whenever I gained a couple of metres. Was starting to get worried because of 2 factors; I was fishing with 4pd mainline with 6pd leader and the fish was running towards the anchor rope. After maybe 3 or 4 minutes to fish is suddenly stuck on something and not budging. SNAP, the dreaded sound of fishing line busting of an amazing fish. Absolutely devastated😭

But, there's always a but. Especially when my dad is with me. He goes, 'what if the fish was wrapped around the anchor?' Here goes, we bring the anchor line up and there's a massive trev still hooked but all the lines wrapped around the anchor. YESSSS! PB for sure.

Measured at 45cm and pulled like a freight train! Not long after another decent fish, this time a nice snapper, measured at 36cm and a PB for the hacking. Then my dad pulled in his first legal snapper in the hacking, not a giant but measured at 31cm. Back in by 10:00 with a decent feed, cooked whole on the BBQ. All fish were caught on pilly tails. Hope all raiders have some more luck during lockdown!! I think I finally out fished Yowie... Damn, you get lucky sometimes.971274254_TheCatch.thumb.jpg.38996a608225a14d0500877959175f1d.jpg

• Like 6

Good stuff mate! Have to be pleased with that.Great read.

No one, I mean no one out fishes Yowie.Next time your out and you need extra burley I'll tag along as I'm fantastic at feeding fish.😉

• Haha 1

Just now, Fab1 said:

Good stuff mate! Have to be pleased with that.Great read.

No one, I mean no one out fishes Yowie.Next time your out and you need extra burley I'll tag along as I'm fantastic at feeding fish.😉

To true mate, to true

• 2 months later...