Lake Mac land based

RexSenior

A few fish from the eastern end caught on live prawns.

Fishing the run-out tide at night in the shallows seems to be the go at the moment, all fish caught within 10m or so from shore.

Not sure of the reason however there seems to be very little water coming inside the lake at the moment despite the tides - hopefully someone can explain. I've heard the same from a number of locals.

The prawns are starting to move with the approaching dark - only small numbers but plenty for bait.

Looking forward to the warmer months that's for sure! 

Cheers, James

20210903_194947.jpg

20210903_214422.jpg

20210905_143626.jpg

• Like 12

49 minutes ago, Yowie said:

A nice feed of fish there. Prawns will be nice when the size improves a bit.

Cheers mate, I enjoy reading through your posts - my kind of fishing :)

I'm happy with the small to medium prawns as I only use them for bait, the family want them to get bigger though haha.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, leonardgid said:

something i wanted to know  is , do you catch prawns for bait  throughout the year ?

Hi, yes you can catch prawns all year round in the shallows of Lake Mac. The 'prawn run' is a little different however I don't own a boat so I can't give you too much info on the deepwater stuff.

Prawns, beach worms and bottle squid are my go-to baits, with all three the warmer months seem to be best. The prawns are there all year just very few during the colder months and when the moon is bright.

If you're fishing a good location you should only need a dozen or so baits to get a feed :)

Can't get much better than watching the footy and enjoying some fresh fish! 😅

Ive got a propt on the northen side of the lake and i agree the tides arent as big for some reason dont know if its moon related or just something random??

Anyway, great report mate!👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigHorse said:

Can't get much better than watching the footy and enjoying some fresh fish! 😅

Ive got a propt on the northen side of the lake and i agree the tides arent as big for some reason dont know if its moon related or just something random??

Anyway, great report mate!👍

I had a mate contact me this afternoon and the weekly fish report from Fisherman's Warehouse said it was due to the high pressure system and some areas have weed exposed at the top of high tide?? Never heard of that but it's happening now whatever it is. Cheers for the comment.

• Like 1

I have found that at the tops of the big lakes there is not a lot of tidal flow, due to the distance the water needs to travel. By the time the water is moving up to near the top of the lake, the tide is dropping at the mouth of the lake, so the higher areas never reach their full tide heights and lows.

Also to consider is the upper water flow into the lakes from recent rain events or river discharges, keeping elevated water levels in the top areas, and the amount of sand in the main channel reducing water flow in.

Are you just refering to your area around Blacksmiths, or further up the lake?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

What a cracking day James! A few fish for the table, the footy on and a 12% woody on the go! Perfect 👍 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers mate.

Just need the Knights to pull their finger out and it'll be good haha.

• Like 1

Great report Rex, nothing beats a live prawn for bait. This time of year, I’ve found in the past that the smaller prawns seem to be the ones the fish prefer, not sure why (I’d prefer a big steak than a small one?), those whiting look like good sized ones.

• Like 1