Got out and amongst them on Thursday

GordoRetired

After reviewing my decision to head out on the boat on Tuesday, thanks Scratchie good advice, the forecast for Thursday looked promising, low winds and swell under 2m. So Tuesday ended up with a beach session which I'll get back to later in this post. Decided to fish gentleman's hours so by the time I got on the water it was just after 7.30.  
After logging on with Marine Rescue I headed out to the first spot, a reef just off Dee Why, dropped anchor and got some baits down, absolutely Zip, well that is Zip unless you count a very small Flathead as a catch..... and I was targeting Snapper. After nothing for 45 Minutes decided to head a bit wider to a drift area that has been good to me in the past. A hour later all I have caught was a very small Sergent Baker, which I filleted for bait. Interestingly while I was fishing there Maritime stopped by for a chat and a check on Safety Gear, good to see them out and about looking after our well-being. I spoke to another boat fishing the same area and they had not got anything either so decided to head to a spot that I have not fished in 5 or 6 years which is just on the outside of Long Reef.

That changed my luck, within 5 minutes of starting my first drift I came up tight on a decent Flathead. From then on I was getting plenty of bites with only 1 problem. Bloody Leather Jackets, 4 rigs just clean bitten off at the snap swivel. Not good with the price of lead nowadays! ! ! !

However I persisted and over the next coupe of hours boated 10 nice Flathead, 1 legal Snapper, Scratchie would probably refer to it as a live bait 🙂 , and a decent Leather Jacket, along with a number of smaller Flathead which went back and a couple of big Yakkas which I used as strip baits.

When I pulled in Flathead No10 I headed to another reef to soak baits for a while but no joy. . 

When I got home it was time to put the new cryovac machine to the test. The cheap eBay special seems to work well, lets see how the fillets last in the freezer.

The end of a good day.

I mentioned the Beach session earlier, this was funny, with a big swell running we got lines in and I was sitting on the top of a sand 'step' where the previous high tide had washed away the sand and left a step up that was probably 3 or 4 feet above the lower level where the waves were stopping. Sat there nice and comfortable in my chair when a rogue wave smashed into the sand step up, went about 6 foot into the air and straight over my head...  I was soaked from head to foot and covered in all of the sand that was thrown up. The mate I was fishing with nearly wet himself he was laughing so hard. That was the end of that session without a single bite and about 50kg of beach sand hanging off me to get spread all through the car on the way home 🙂

Tight line all.

Gordo

Flathead.jpg

Flathead Cryo.jpg

Edited by GordoRetired
Update pics
  • Like 11

Well done mate. Several good feeds there and a days fishing- can’t complain about that. Also glad you managed to get back at the jackets by reducing the jacket population by 1. 
Cheers Zoran 

ps - had a good chuckle on your beach fishing adventure. 🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Itchin'faFishin' said:

Nice catch Gordo. What bait were you using for the flathead? Was it the Sergeant Baker strips?

Got most of them on 1/2 pillies, 1 on a piece of Yakka and one on a piece of squid. The Sergent Baker strips just got picked away by the little ones. Pillies would be my go to bait for Flatehead. 

Persistence pays - great effort on the Flatties Gordo’ - really nice feed there mate.
What’s in the jar near the Flatties (not pickled cunjie is it?

Had a good chuckle about that wave - kinda nice to go out fishing and come back salty though (except if it’s a cold day)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Persistence pays - great effort on the Flatties Gordo’ - really nice feed there mate.
What’s in the jar near the Flatties (not pickled cunjie is it?

Had a good chuckle about that wave - kinda nice to go out fishing and come back salty though (except if it’s a cold day)

That was not a jar, it's the tap columns on the fish cleaning table down at the Roseville boat ramp. 🙂 

• GordoRetired changed the title to Got out and amongst them on Thursday