Early Start pays dividends

Isaac Ct

Hi Raiders,

Headed out quite early today as it is the last day of online learning and I'm going quite insane. Launched from Yowie Bay at first light(5:30) and shot over to Gooseberry Bay to try for some snapper and trevally. Straight away, first drop on the way down, a little chopper tailor took a liking to my pilly and snipped me of. After constant burley of pilly cubes for about 10 minutes the fish started to really bite. We were bringing up either a snapper of tailor every drop. My dad lost what was probably a really nice trevally as it swam under the boat and busted his hook. Not long after that I pulled up a nice 39cm trevally but with the quality of trevally we've been catching lately we thought it was under size. Just don't ask....

Next drop I hook something that starts to peel some line, it starts to run away from the boat and with the 6 pound line I was thinking; here we go again. I asked one of the more knowledgable people at the boat ramp what to do when you hook a big fish on light line. He said use a loose drag when he wants to run and then tighten it when you pump and wind. So here I am constantly adjusting my drag and pulling the anchor and running around the boat. Ended up being a rather nice trevally measuring at 47cm, this is the 4th one this year I've caught this exact size and the third trevally over 40cm in as many weeks!! Also managed a big yakka somehow, on the drop. The bait board is 50cm long.

Sashimi and Ceviche tonight, yum!! ( I don't know what my face is in the first picture🤔)

Cheers Isaac Ct

Resized_20210917_073939_4661.jpeg

Resized_20210917_084028_4051.jpeg

Edited by Isaac Ct
  • Like 14

Nice work Isaac, 47 is a really nice Trevally (related to The GT, so no wonder they pull hard. The yellowtail also eat really well as sashimi, fillet, skin and take top and bottom fillet of the mid spines and they are great with soy and pickled ginger. Your school Hol’s tomorrow, so you’ll be able to get into it more seriously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Nice work Isaac, 47 is a really nice Trevally (related to The GT, so no wonder they pull hard. The yellowtail also eat really well as sashimi, fillet, skin and take top and bottom fillet of the mid spines and they are great with soy and pickled ginger. Your school Hol’s tomorrow, so you’ll be able to get into it more seriously.

I've got to give the fishing a rest as my mum wants some help around the house😔 . Arghhhh, you told me last time to use pickled ginger with the sashimi and we do have it as we made poke bowls but I forgot to put it with the sashimi😐.

Thanks

12 hours ago, kobi caught a fish said:

we went out on the hacking today we only caught 2 fish the whole day and got bitten off twice by what we think were tailor.

Try fishing the deep water around the south west arm on sunrise and you should be onto plenty of snapper and trevally provided you burley.

12 hours ago, Hoods said:

Well done Isaac, don't forget the Wasabi (good for head colds & putting hair on your chest - or taking it off!!) and have a crack at doing sushi rolls with your fish.

Will try.

11 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice fish. Enough for a feed and some entertaining sport.

Thanks Yowie.

11 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

All you kids are having lots of fun out fishing!

Nice day for it :) 

It was lovely especially since there was no wind. On high tide the trevally supposedly move up onto the flats but we catch 'em there any tide😀

4 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Try fishing the deep water around the south west arm on sunrise and you should be onto plenty of snapper and trevally provided you burley. 

we didn't go up to southwest arm but while we were pumping nippers there were no little whiting around on the sand flat we were constantly burleying just couldn't get anything in around the boat in the deaper water were usually catch heaps.

27 minutes ago, kobi caught a fish said:

we didn't go up to southwest arm but while we were pumping nippers there were no little whiting around on the sand flat we were constantly burleying just couldn't get anything in around the boat in the deaper water were usually catch heaps.

Ok, that's unusal. When I mean South West Arm I mean just the entrance. Near where most of the larger boats moor, on the eastern side when your facing south at the entrance there is a little beach. You have to look for it but line up with it and half way between the mouth of the arm and the shore and you will be onto them.