Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning. Ended up in South West Arm as the nor-wester was stronger than forecast, and would have been blowing against me where I originally planned to go.

The only fish I kept was the red gurnard, and a yakka for bait strips. Bugger all there.

Packed up after sunrise and headed to Maianbar flats. Pumped some nippers and the whiting turned up after a while. Enough for a few feeds, then headed home. School holidays lunatics about in small fast boats.

fish.jpeg.318_files_files.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, motiondave said:

nice stuff, bit of a feed

and yes , if you think its busy with boats, now, wait till after "freedom day"

Thank you.

The first few days after "freedom day" I will be at home, maybe.  🤣

49 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Some nice whiting there Yowie. I wondering where all the fish I've been getting where?

Fish move about, there one day, gone the next. A couple of tailor bites, undersized fish, and a few bigger splashes here and there, but nothing taking a lure.

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Great job again Dave, some tasty whiting there .... roll on freedom dayssssssssssss .... It may be busy at the ramp, but there is a lot of blue out there to disperse the crowd.  Can't wait.

Cheers Zoran

I'm hearing you. :fisher::yahoo:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Love a feed of whiting! No pannies today yowie? 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Happy with the whiting, another one over 40cm in knee deep water. It weighed just under 1.5 pounds.

The spot I wanted to fish early may have produced a pannie, but the new location due to the wind had bugger all of anything.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

Nice work Yowie

I got out this morning and picked up a few whiting over the flats in a couple of parts of the Hacking, biggest going 40 and the other mid 30s. Loonies out everywhere after 8am but it was good to get a feed!

Good work. When whiting hit the 40 mark, they are a good size. 

Only problem I find with that size is that the rib bones are tough during filleting, and the skin is relatively thick so during cooking, the large fillets need to be skinned or small cuts made crossways in the skin.

On 9/24/2021 at 4:08 PM, Yowie said:

Good work. When whiting hit the 40 mark, they are a good size. 

Only problem I find with that size is that the rib bones are tough during filleting, and the skin is relatively thick so during cooking, the large fillets need to be skinned or small cuts made crossways in the skin.

I cut the pin and rib bones out and slice the fillets length ways for cooking. Gives you a few more slender fillets:) Did these in panko breadcrumbs with a bream fillet thrown in!

Whiting fillets (2).jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jenno64 said:

I cut the pin and rib bones out and slice the fillets length ways for cooking. Gives you a few more slender fillets:) Did these in panko breadcrumbs with a bream fillet thrown in!

Whiting fillets (2).jpg

One word - “jealous”

enjoy

cheers Zoran 

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

That's what I do with my fillets for the larger whiting, with a few cuts across the skin. Also cooked in panko crumbs.