Fish quality - rate from 10 to -10

Pickles

Raiders, Neil and (Derek had input too, but doesn’t eat fish)I had an interesting (animated) conversation about the quality of various “commonly caught” species. We all agreed that flathead was right up there and jewfish also, but opinions varied about bream, snapper, whiting etc and most agreed Salmon, Trevally were not toward the top of the list.

What do you think Raiders(only species you’ve actually eaten):

1 to 10 and down to - 10

I reckon I have eaten just about every fish available, and most are good, some are better and some not so flash. A lot depends on personal preference, some like a fishy taste, some like a mild taste, some like no fish taste at all, Blue Groper fall into this category. All the "bread and butter" species are good, Whiting, Bream, Blackfish, Snapper, Flathead and so on, all "nice" table fish, it's pretty hard to really put one above the other, because they are all different, what I rate better, others might not.

• Like 1

OH, and for me, I will never knowingly eat Shark or Leather Jackets, so that's another "personal" thing. Just thinking about, one very common fish, that rivals  lots of "exotic" species is a decent sized Black Drummer, great eating, fun to catch, and readily available to almost anyone.

Edited by noelm

You see, that's where the personal bit comes in, I like Whiting with the skin on, some deep water species are better than some other species, Blue Eye and Hapuka are great eating, much better than (say) a fresh boneless Blue Spot Flathead fillet? I would say yes, but maybe by one point on a 10 to -10 scale, it's very hard to pinpoint one against the other, quality, well cared for fish. Take Kingfish for example, it wasn't that long ago they were considered rubbish and not eating quality, now they are sought after, the fish didn't change!

1. Red emperor

2. Coral trout

3. John Dory

4. Flounder

5. Whiting

6. Blue eye trevalla 

7. Rainbow trout

8. Yellowfin Tuna

9. Yellowtail Kingfish

10. Atlantic Salmon

As you can see flathead didnt even make my top 10 but its the fish I eat the most of(yep figure that one out 😂).

I think its a good eating bread & butter fish but from my chefs perspective its probably in my top 20.

11. Snapper

12. Mahi Mahi

13. Mulloway

14. Pearl perch

15. Garfish

16. Flathead

17. Yellowfin bream

18. Spanish Mackerel

19. Swordfish

20. Barramundi

21. Cobia

Fish I really want to try but havent yet & could definitely affect the above list-

Mangrove Jack 

Wahoo

Finger mark bream

Moses Perch

Large mouth Nannygai 

Red throat emperor

Black spot Tusk fish 

Edited by kingie chaser

Red Emporer and Coral Trout fit into the no fish flavour group, big white flakes, but near no "real" flavour, and yes, I have caught them and eaten them many times, the humble old Hussar leaves both of them for dead in the eating department (in my opinion)

• Like 1

I guess to throw another curve ball into the whole thing, how a fish is cooked can make a huge difference, I don't eat fish covered in 20 different spices and sauces, for me, fresh fish, rolled in flour and cooked in hot clean oil is about as good as it gets, I do make a great poached Atlantic Salmon, but, that's a very "fishy" taste, and let's be honest, unless it's advertised well on a menu, who is going to eat/order "boiled farmed fish"? But called it "poached" and it all changes......

• Like 4

Some 15 years or so ago - well before I was fishing - I bought some fillets of “Butterfish” in New Zealand. 

My word, nothing I’ve had since compares to my memory of that. Absolutely divine, melted in the mouth and just a really fine flake-less texture.

https://www.seafood.co.nz/show-species/butterfish/ 

I bought some fish the other night at Gus’ seafood in Riverwood , battered bream and whiting. I loved the bream but it was “too fishy” for my wife. 
Special plug for this fish and chippie, insanely low prices compared to most around my neighbourhood and they really serve up a big feed on the cheap. 

For the fish I catch, flathead is miles ahead of the rest of the pack.

Edited by Mike Sydney
Link to butterfish

Ok I love a fresh tailor fillet for Breakfast Fried, Grilled or BBQ for breakfast with ground black pepper and salt. It has a stronger taste,  But I like it !

In the past I caught a large variety of fish, I love big chunks of boneless fish, so Drummer and Grouper were Great !!  Have eaten Kingfish and Snapper but cant remember the taste. Snook from south west rocks was good.

Now days  Jewfish fill the bill !   I really only catch Flathead, Bream and a few whiting these days,   

Flathead is mine and the families favourite by far. I love Whiting , Very sweet !!  Bream I usually release.

Thanks for not liking Flathead Dirvin21  More for me !!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, noelm said:

OH, and for me, I will never knowingly eat Shark or Leather Jackets, so that's another "personal" thing. Just thinking about, one very common fish, that rivals  lots of "exotic" species is a decent sized Black Drummer, great eating, fun to catch, and readily available to almost anyone.

Two of my more favoured species are Gummy Shark (my #1) and Leatherjackets but I do like Flathead and Whiting.

Many will find this next selection odd (I fancy)...Tailor. Specifically, bled when caught, gutted, butterflied and smoked in oak shavings. I would award it +8. Gummy Shark +9. Leatherjackets +7, Flathead (shallow fried in Tempura batter) +8, Whiting (on the BBQ in Alfoil with butter, lemon and white wine, slowly cooked) +7. Murray Cod battered and deep fried with a pile of chips (from my mates take away shop) +8.

Well you did ask.   bn

• Like 2

Pretty hard to actually rate one over the other, but those that spring to mind.

1 John Dory

2 King George Whiting

3 Blue Granadier

4 Gummy Shark

5 Longfin perch ( pearl ) 

6 Tasmanian Trumpeter

7 Flathead

8 Leatherjacket ( large )

9 Trout ( any )

10 Mangrove Jack

I could mix and match any of the choices between 2 and 7 but Dory would always be at the top of my list.

I haven't rated Snapper, Kingfish , Bream as I do and would eat them but having the choice they rate lower than the top eating fish.

And I am like NoelM I don't spoil the taste of fish flesh with heaps of added flavors, spices, maybe a touch of garlic and salt, pepper, and vinegar . but just a touch.

Frank

• Like 1

Fish that I’ve caught that are high up on my list include pearl perch, king George whiting John Dory, saltwater Barra & even spangled emperor to a lesser degree flounder, yellow fin whiting, yellowfin tuna, dolphin fish, jewfish, hairtail, flatties, kingies, snapper, bonito, drummer, & even black fish skinned & down the list trevally, tailor, bream & leather jackets 

Edited by 61 crusher

BigNeil. I haven't eaten Murray Cod they are a fish I have always released, so didn't include them , when I visit you we will have to keep one so I will know their eating quality, only fresh water fish I keep are Trout and Redfin.

Frank

I generally bleed or kill & ice most of what I catch & have found the taste can vary quite a bit depending on season & environment as well as whole, fillets, skin on or off, filleting after refrigeration or straight away as well as patting dry versus rinsing in saltwater (freshwater 👎)

Even method of cooking can have an impact on flavour, usually the K.I.S.S principle is best when freshly caught. Smoking tailor, slimy mackerel, bonito trout or even Aussie salmon can make a big difference, salmon generally only good for the neighbours or the pets but smoked is quite flaky & tasty 

Classic example would be mullet in the past, some has been quite good & at other times one bite & straight in the bin

Edited by 61 crusher

16 minutes ago, Rebel said:

@noelm Lobster, well down the list ?

You must be dreaming.

I’m with @noelmon this one, I’ve eaten fresh caught lobster & found it dry & of average flavour, but doused with garlic butter or mornay is quite tasty

I guess at the end of the day everyone’s palate varies  

Edited by 61 crusher

I guess the question is what are the determining factors that make a specific fish a "quality" fish in your eyes?

Is it just on flavour?

I doubt if you did the Coca-cola/Pepsi blind fold challenge with 2 or more fish just steamed with no salt or flavour the majority of people wouldn't be able to differentiate between many fish(in my opinion 😉)

Is it a textural thing?

I know I enjoy the eating quality of the smaller flaking fish like dory & flounder over the larger flaking fish like blue eye.

Is it a moisture or oil content thing?

Obviously different fish also have different moisture & ool content so the method of cooking(or not cooking) will also affect the end product.

Personally each fish for me has to be cooked(or eaten raw) in the right method to get the best out of but if your just going to crumb or batter everything you may as well be carp 😛

1 hour ago, frankS said:

NoelM. If you ever take me fishing and we catch a decent Jacket I will cook it my way and I bet you will keep all you catch after that.

Frank

It's not the taste, it's just that I have seen hundreds of them with big open sores and parasites (like doctors) eaten them whole still alive and almost just a swimming skin and skeleton, never eat them...ever.