bully mullet (caught in salt only) 8

mac tuna 8

kingfish 8

leather jacket 7

aussie salmon 5

trevally 5 

bream -3

snapper -5

bully mullet (fresh water) -10 (absolutely vile)

Edited by James Clain

Havnt tried that many species but favourite is flathead bream 2nd snapper good in smaller sizes(Still waiting  to catch a big one) whiting is good tailor on bbq is nice leather jackets are great but seem to carry parasites more than most which can be a turn off but nice sweet meat and calamari is yummo

What makes me laugh I bet most of you if you had a blind test with 20 different fish you wouldn't know what's what.

Same as if you did it with meat say rump vs Tbone etc.

I certainly wouldn't know what's what. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fab1 said:

What makes me laugh I bet most of you if you had a blind test with 20 different fish you wouldn't know what's what.

Sounds like you had the same thought as me Fab which I referenced on page 1 as the Pepsi-Coke blind tasting(remember those 70's/80's ads that were stacked 😅).

We have the luxury of sight & in direct association with texture in the way a fish looks when it flakes, the method its prepared in reference to its moisture content, scent well that would be an interesting subject on its own.   

Imo it would take a trained genius/connoisseur to be to be able get close to naming just 2 fish in a taste test even when cooked the exact same way.

As humans we have to bring the all the senses into play to really know what we enjoy in the end, then we are able to put an actual name to it.

Surprised a few people rate mac tuna? I've found them too bloody and it's a lot of work to get something edible out. I might be doing something wrong.

Otherwise, sashimi / ceviche:

• Kingfish - 9 / 10
  • Bonito - 8 / 10
  • Trevally - 8 / 10
  • Aussie Salmon - 7 / 10

Cooked / fried:

• Spanish - 10 / 10
  • Flathead - 9 / 10
  • Kingfish - 6 / 10
  • Aussie Salmon - 4 / 10

Smoked:

• Tailor 8 / 10
  • Bonito 8 / 10
  • Any mackerel 11 / 10

I've been experimenting with recreating rollmops (pickled fish) and Tailor is awesome for it because of it's soft meat.

Edited by FrigateMack

15 hours ago, Fab1 said:

True but if you catch a certain species and eat it and you can remember you enjoyed the taste then you can state what in your opinion had the best taste at the time. And that is what people no doubt are basing their opinions on.

Frank

11 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Sounds like you had the same thought as me Fab which I referenced on page 1 as the Pepsi-Coke blind tasting(remember those 70's/80's ads that were stacked 😅).

We have the luxury of sight & in direct association with texture in the way a fish looks when it flakes, the method its prepared in reference to its moisture content, scent well that would be an interesting subject on its own.   

Imo it would take a trained genius/connoisseur to be to be able get close to naming just 2 fish in a taste test even when cooked the exact same way.

As humans we have to bring the all the senses into play to really know what we enjoy in the end, then we are able to put an actual name to it.

I remember the adds.I agree with what you're saying mate.Half the people you hear say I won't eat this or that if you cooked it up and have it to them they wouldn't even know.

5 hours ago, noelm said:

Lots of fish would be easy to pick, some would be impossible though, if you couldn't pick (say) a Mullet or a Snapper, then you're not a fish eater.

All I know is this mullet would taste horrendous.images.jpeg.f4fca8f4c2d7002c0019742c02de0267.jpeg

1 hour ago, frankS said:

True but if you catch a certain species and eat it and you can remember you enjoyed the taste then you can state what in your opinion had the best taste at the time. And that is what people no doubt are basing their opinions on.

Frank

True.

17 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Catch and cook the fish, and I will visit and tell you what it what. 🤣

27 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Catch and cook the fish, and I will visit and tell you what it what. 🤣

You'll starve if you really on me catching fish to feed you.Besides I think my wheel bearings have rusted solid on my boat it hasn't moved in such a long time.

• Haha 1

In my opinion, I like most fish, except I will not eat leatherjacket, no matter how good it is I can’t stand it. And I don’t eat bream anymore because IMO it isn’t anything special and they are often really old and usually don’t get a whole bunch of meat off them.

On 11/20/2021 at 11:17 AM, FrigateMack said:

Surprised a few people rate mac tuna? I've found them too bloody and it's a lot of work to get something edible out. I might be doing something wrong.

Otherwise, sashimi / ceviche:

• Kingfish - 9 / 10
  • Bonito - 8 / 10
  • Trevally - 8 / 10
  • Aussie Salmon - 7 / 10

Cooked / fried:

• Spanish - 10 / 10
  • Flathead - 9 / 10
  • Kingfish - 6 / 10
  • Aussie Salmon - 4 / 10

Smoked:

• Tailor 8 / 10
  • Bonito 8 / 10
  • Any mackerel 11 / 10

I've been experimenting with recreating rollmops (pickled fish) and Tailor is awesome for it because of it's soft meat.

You have to bleed the mac tuna then ice.