And now for something completly different

GordoRetired

She who must be obeyed wanted to go and have a couple of nights in Orange just because we have not visited there before. So before we headed off I checked with Dr Google and apparently they have a couple of lakes that have Trout in them. So I put a rod in the car along with a couple of light jig heads and small SP's. The whole tackle bag was a small zip lock plastic bag. 🙂 

So yesterday I spent a couple of hours fishing off the banks of two lakes in Orange. First lake was Lake Canobolas. Weather was fine so I started by a storm water pipe feeding the lake.
After a few cast I got hit but no hook up, then a short time later I hooked up. Nothing too big, but it was my first Redfin. Redfin.thumb.jpg.ddb457366afef2888672c7b12e960d70.jpg

I then waked further round the lake and found a small jetty to cast from, there were already a couple of local there but they made me very welcome to join them. Spend another 1/2 hour there and caught a couple more, them smallest surprised me as it was not much more than 10cm and the small SP must have been nearly 5cm. Greedy little buggers. As well as catching the 3 fish I lost count of the number of hits I felt, probably so small they could not get the SP in their mouths....

By then wife had finished her walk around the lake so it was time to move on. Happy wife, happy life. 🙂

We then continued out drive around and guess what, I found another reservoir, Gosling Creek Reservoir. Drove around it and the wife say, 'why don't you go and have a fish while I read my book?'  She did not have to ask twice, off I went to try and find a decent spot to cast. A lot of the bank where I was had tall grass and weeds in the way but down near the wall of the reservoir there was access to about 20 foot of the wall with some clear water in front.

It turned out to be a cracker of a spot, as I caught 6 Redfin in a little over 20 minutes. The highlight being hooking fish on both my first and second casts. Most fish were quite small but I did get one that would have gone nearly 30cm and all on my little SP.

Interestingly the SP I used must be at least 15 years old, probably older, and was bought to target Bream on Sydney Harbor.  Lighter in the picture to give an idea of size.

SP.thumb.jpg.f81a7e2c7e5afb3fb479d2913acc6955.jpg

So overall I managed 9 Redfin in less than 2 hours of fishing.... Always take a rod just in case.
Tight lines

Gordo

• Like 18

18 minutes ago, GordoRetired said:
She who must be obeyed wanted to go and have a couple of nights in Orange just because we have not visited there before. So before we headed off I checked with Dr Google and apparently they have a couple of lakes that have Trout in them. So I put a rod in the car along with a couple of light jig heads and small SP's. The whole tackle bag was a small zip lock plastic bag. 🙂 

So yesterday I spent a couple of hours fishing off the banks of two lakes in Orange. First lake was Lake Canobolas. Weather was fine so I started by a storm water pipe feeding the lake.
After a few cast I got hit but no hook up, then a short time later I hooked up. Nothing too big, but it was my first Redfin. Redfin.thumb.jpg.ddb457366afef2888672c7b12e960d70.jpg

I then waked further round the lake and found a small jetty to cast from, there were already a couple of local there but they made me very welcome to join them. Spend another 1/2 hour there and caught a couple more, them smallest surprised me as it was not much more than 10cm and the small SP must have been nearly 5cm. Greedy little buggers. As well as catching the 3 fish I lost count of the number of hits I felt, probably so small they could not get the SP in their mouths....

By then wife had finished her walk around the lake so it was time to move on. Happy wife, happy life. 🙂

We then continued out drive around and guess what, I found another reservoir, Gosling Creek Reservoir. Drove around it and the wife say, 'why don't you go and have a fish while I read my book?'  She did not have to ask twice, off I went to try and find a decent spot to cast. A lot of the bank where I was had tall grass and weeds in the way but down near the wall of the reservoir there was access to about 20 foot of the wall with some clear water in front.

It turned out to be a cracker of a spot, as I caught 6 Redfin in a little over 20 minutes. The highlight being hooking fish on both my first and second casts. Most fish were quite small but I did get one that would have gone nearly 30cm and all on my little SP.

Interestingly the SP I used must be at least 15 years old, probably older, and was bought to target Bream on Sydney Harbor.  Lighter in the picture to give an idea of size.

SP.thumb.jpg.f81a7e2c7e5afb3fb479d2913acc6955.jpg

So overall I managed 9 Redfin in less than 2 hours of fishing.... Always take a rod just in case.
Tight lines

Gordo

Always fun catching species you’ve never caught before.
Redfin  

• Like 1

Well done on catching a new species & fishing new territory, your a lucky man Gordo the only time I got a understanding pass from the boss was on our honeymoon in Port Douglas  where she said I could buy a couple of ready made hand lines needless to say no rods where allowed to be packed on that holiday 🤣

Edited by 61 crusher
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pickles said:

Any day your wife says “why don’t you go and have a fish” (or have a hit), is a good day - can’t ignore the boss’s suggestions.

great report Gordo.

Thanks Bob. I have to say that I am a lucky man, my wife is always happy for me to play golf (3 times a week) or go fishing. I can't remember a time when she has complained, and that includes me clearing off for a week at a time to head to Jindabyne chasing trout - 7 or 8 trips now, a week in the NT chasing Barra, a week in SA chasing Whiting. She's a good girl 🙂

41 minutes ago, GordoRetired said:

Thanks Bob. I have to say that I am a lucky man, my wife is always happy for me to play golf (3 times a week) or go fishing. I can't remember a time when she has complained, and that includes me clearing off for a week at a time to head to Jindabyne chasing trout - 7 or 8 trips now, a week in the NT chasing Barra, a week in SA chasing Whiting. She's a good girl 🙂

Indeed - “He who finds a wife, finds a good thing and receives favour from the Lord” Proverbs 18:22

• Like 1