Cronulla fishing

Larkin

Gday raiders,

headed out early Thursday morning - plan was to go back to a spot I found a few weeks back along the cliffs just outside port hacking and try for some snapper and kings.
A few weeks back did the flathead drift (caught 3 blue spot and 1 tiger) and when heading back in tried a couple of spots I had been eyeing out on navonics. Hooked a good king on an unweighted strip bait, but couldn’t stop it as it dived straight to the bottom and reefed me. Also caught some undersized 28cm snappers off the bottom - this was around midday… plan was to go back to the same spot early morning in hopes of getting some bigger models.

…anyway this time weather wasn’t good - was flat while inside port hacking, but as soon as I started to head out was like a washing machine.

Decided to do some bait collecting instead.

Just off jibbon head sounded some baitfish - got the bream rod and baited with small strips of pilly. The 40cm models were really fun to catch. Loaded the esky.

7BE846C1-689D-4393-9CDF-B85D8A6FBC1A.thumb.jpeg.425d9ef818f0a70c716544af69f982b4.jpeg
…wife hates it when I do this on her bench tops. 😂 Filleted and into the salter.

was still keen on some eating fish so decided to head down to Cronulla beach for a couple of hours. Got there at 6pm and fished till around 8pm. Tide was coming into high. Took some of the freshly salted Mack strips as well as some pillies.

1 x 50cm flatty, 1 x 36cm & 1 x 37cm Tailor

8DE0B1C0-AC82-4D9A-B974-6F23B3E376F4.thumb.jpeg.e8fb1179e89d06efa1fd037d6037a1f1.jpeg
BB19225B-08B5-477F-BEC7-7102A8444447.thumb.jpeg.deec5c08777d2a493d97318e77e61be3.jpeg

Plan is to bake this flatty whole with olive oil, roast potatoes/veg, dill and lemon. 😋 

• Like 12

A few fish for the plate, and plenty of bait.

Just returned from the beach. Wanda and Eloura closed, so I walked to North Cronulla, and then the life guards pulled the flags shortly after I jumped in, so all closed. Surf was a bit bumpy and dumpy, probably short period waves out to sea which would make boat travel a bit rocky.

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 1:15 PM, Yowie said:

A few fish for the plate, and plenty of bait.

Just returned from the beach. Wanda and Eloura closed, so I walked to North Cronulla, and then the life guards pulled the flags shortly after I jumped in, so all closed. Surf was a bit bumpy and dumpy, probably short period waves out to sea which would make boat travel a bit rocky.

it was quite rough - a few big rips were dredging the sand out. You must of been keen for a swim. 

On 12/17/2021 at 10:17 AM, Little_Flatty said:

Some superb bait there, along with some good eating fish. Well done!

I find the mackerel makes really good bait. When it’s salted the skin stays iridescent and reflects light. I salt as fillets, then strip it into long baitfish looking slivers - they look like lures.

FD15DD8A-36E9-4797-AE8D-60F36225B901.thumb.jpeg.4e78f97d2a4118b0b75ac1e906011d58.jpeg

On 12/17/2021 at 11:33 AM, Restyle said:

Some quality time out on the water & some nice fish & bait too, good effort 

Thanks, was a nice beach session to finish the day off.

On 12/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, Rebel said:

Top report and a good day out.

Well done.

Thanks Rebel - sometimes things don’t go to plan, but can still make a good day of it.

12 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Bait stocks replenished and dinner sorted!

got to be happy with that!

The flathead baked whole with dill, lemon and olive oil came out the goods 😋 

13 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great work Larkin, some really nice mixed bag of fish - those pacific Makerel really punch above their weight on light gear (and smoke up well).

Hi Pickle’s, they were fun to catch on the bream rod. Made a mess of my esky though…that slime gets everywhere.

11 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Well done on the bait gathering session & feed👍
Those XL mackerel are great filleted & on the bbq or smoked 

Thanks crusher - I might bbq some next time and see how they go. Might also invest in a smoker - had one many years ago.

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 3