Flattie release size

wizza

I find that flatties much over 60cm are a bit on the chewy side anyway…that’s duskies as I am landbased.

So my slot limit is up to 60 or thereabouts from legal minimum. I put my fish in a keeper net and if I have plenty of fish, can release the bigger fish but keep it if it’s the only one.

kb

11 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

I find that flatties much over 60cm are a bit on the chewy side anyway…that’s duskies as I am landbased.

So my slot limit is up to 60 or thereabouts from legal minimum. I put my fish in a keeper net and if I have plenty of fish, can release the bigger fish but keep it if it’s the only one.

kb

They may be chewy as a result of being kept alive in the keeper net.  When you keep them alive they stress and release lactic acid into their flesh which affects eating quality.   Better to kill quickly with brain spike or a hit between their eyes an putting in eski preferably in saltwater slurry.  Ron 

• Like 3

I think the polite release size for a dusky is 70cm, but I wouldn't feel too bad about keeping one around this size. Interestingly enough these big girls are equivalent to a grandma and rarely, if at all release viable eggs.

Good paper here that explains the reproductive senescence of large flathead: https://escientificpublishers.com/oogenesis-oocyte-atresia-ovarian-development-and-reproductive-senescence-in-the-dusky-flathead-platycephalus-fuscus-teleostei-AVAS-01-0004

• Thanks 1

I like to keep the 50-60 models for a feed but I also fish with large poddies so I get the big models more so than the pre 50 models.  If I have a slow day and only get one fish up to 70 I’ll often take it for a feed. I don’t feel bad because I release plenty of 70 plus fish throughout the year👌