first fish of 2022 & its a pb

Restyle

mrsswordfisherman
This post was recognized by mrsswordfisherman!

"Nice work on the PB!!"

Restyle was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 20 points.

Hung back on fishing during the holidays mostly from the amount of people & boats out, anyway I get a random phone call on Saturday around lunchtime "lets go Stockton beach for a days". What an offer and it would be a sin to the fishing gods to say no, so I drop what I was doing grab my rods, bait, everything and anything i thought id need. didn't bother looking at the weather and wind and headed up the coast. 

Made it to the williamtown maccas to let the tyres down on sunset and flew over to the beach to find a gutter. We find a solid one near the entrance but go deeper for the laugh and find every gutter occupied, so we headed back to the original one we found and had lines in at 9pm. 7 rods out along this gutter with middle 2 in the gutter entry. at 10 odd pm my mates rod screams drag and he's onto a Jew but after 2 massive headshakes his knot fails and his spewing. a very good sized fish and also could've been the fish to make his Stockton trips 2/2 with him pulling in a 93cm last week at Stockton. I tied him on a better rig that wouldn't fail. 

20 minutes after the first fish got away, my rod buckles and starts screaming drag originally thought it was a ray from the 2 long runs in quick succession but then I feel the big pumping head shakes so, loosen the drag off a bit as its busting me off nowhere after a decent 5 minute fight its just behind the breakers and I'm trying not to get 15 boys more hyped up then they already were and wait for the perfect wave and after another 5 minutes a good set rolls in and I bring the fish in. The hook pulls as they do most the time off the surf and Gaff man standing there watching the fish but another one of the boys scoops the fish up and throws it further up the beach.

Dragging the fish up the beach we dispatch it to eat & I "retire" for the night and gave my rod to someone else to fish with. Starts raining sideways and we scramble into cars, another rod goes off and it gets sharked, with mine going off again onto a small shovel nose. only a few brought jackets and we all waited out the rain. Cleared up by midnight and the left 3 rods are getting smashed by shovel nose sharks till high tide came at 2.30am where it was quite until we left the following morning at 7am when the rain came back. 

Overall great trip, only one Jew but that's fine. Wind and rain came in at 11ish along with a nice cold southerly and no fishing was really done till 2am where we all sat around talking sh*t 

Jew went 110cm (measurement pic was taken a couple hrs after caught so it shrunk a bit) & and that's my Jew of the beach, first fish of 2022 and first pb of 2022. Unlike my previous meter Jew, I remembered to take the jewels out of it 

Only another 10cm till I'm "off the charts" with the brag mats measurement's.

20220110_081734.thumb.jpg.aaa7827b3dcdf78a821d7a4f010bc76e.jpg

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

110cm of the beach is a great fish. Good job.

Funny how the bigger fish always seem to patrol the gutters in pairs.

Cheers! sadly 2 more didn't cruse in front of our baits 

2 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great report and photo.

Super Jewie. Well done.

Thanks! stoked to a good start to 2022

2 hours ago, Yakka Eater said:

Thats a cracker! 

Every time I fish with mates the results are usually an empty case of beer and often an empty bucket😉

yeah it usually just ends up being a social session, pretty much why I retired the rod after the fish

2 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Great fish,  I bet it ate well. :1clap:

cheers mate!

Well done mate 👍👍

nice beach jew. 

here come the questions…

that would have been just on dusk right? Was there still light or had it gone totally dark when they were hooked?

What was the tide?

what bait?

what rig? Hook size?

what was the surf/conditions like? Rough surf, medium or low/still?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Larkin
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Larkin said:

Well done mate 👍👍

nice beach jew. 

here come the questions…

that would have been just on dusk right? Was there still light or had it gone totally dark when they were hooked?

What was the tide?

what bait?

what rig? Hook size?

what was the surf/conditions like? Rough surf, medium or low/still?

Thanks in advance.

fish was caught at around 11pm so completely dark, mid tide & rising to a full tide of 1.5m at 2.30am. Fresh whole lollipop squid on a double hooked (7/0, 9/0) rig with 20lb leader, 30lb braid mainline
surf was around 1.2, 1.3m and just before some rain and weak thunderstorms so pressure probably dropping if you believe in that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1