Fishing with the boys

jenno64

Headed out for an arvo session on Monday and convinced my son to get outdoors and join me with one of his mates. We launched around 2 and picked his mate up then stayed up river to pump some nippers on a very low tide. While we were collecting bait I rigged up a couple of lines and sent them out with nippers. A big ray gave us some excitement then a long tom that launched itself before busting the 6lb leader kept things interesting.

We moved to collect some poddies as well and sent the lines out and my son picked up a nice flatty in about a foot of water. Plenty of small pinkies, bream and tarwhine harrassed us before we starting drifting as the tide was half way in. Ended up with 4 nice whiting with one nudging 40. Gave the channel a bash before dark trolling a poddy but no joy. Good to get the boys out of the house and they had some fun!

No sign of sudden water surges where we were apart from tools on jet skis flying past!

Flathead January 17.jpg

Whiting January 17 2022.jpg

January 17 2022 bag.jpg

Edited by jenno64
Change of Heading
  • Like 13

• jenno64 changed the title to Fishing with the boys
43 minutes ago, jenno64 said:

No sign of sudden water surges where we were apart from tools on jet skis flying past!

Some quality family time & some fish to take home, cant beat that.

Looks like this was in the hacking by the background??

Not sure when they pulled the warnings but there is no current warning on BOM, but yeh between the jet ski's & the port pilot/tugs it certainly feels like a Tsunami in both the bay & hacking some days 😜 

On 1/19/2022 at 5:13 PM, kingie chaser said:

Some quality family time & some fish to take home, cant beat that.

Looks like this was in the hacking by the background??

Not sure when they pulled the warnings but there is no current warning on BOM, but yeh between the jet ski's & the port pilot/tugs it certainly feels like a Tsunami in both the bay & hacking some days 😜 

Yes Kingie, the Hacking Gray's Point area

23 hours ago, Pickles said:

Nice feed there boys, well done (love flattie fillets). Always good spending time with your kids.

It took a while to get some smiles but yes good to spend time with them fishing!

22 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work Rob, a nice feed. Flatties and whiting will go very shallow at times.

Grays Point area. 8 knot zone nearby.

Yowie the dark water was also good cover!

19 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Great result mate. Good eating there

Cheers, filleted and ready for dinner guests tomorrow night:)

20 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice catch of table fish

Don’t mind the hard fight of a ray - good fun. 

Thanks, I'm always worried the rays will break my rod tip if they go under the boat....not so good fun!