Port Stephens Estuary Fishing (for a change)

Berleyguts

Not much of a report really and a few days late but thought I’d better post something. 🤷‍♂️ I avoided the crowds here in Port Stephens over the summer holidays… partly out of choice and partly due to 14 days of Covid isolation. On Monday, most of the holiday makers had gone home, it was 34 days since I tested positive to Covid and was feeling slightly better, although still quite lethargic. I needed a dose of vitamin D and vitamin sea! The forecast was good but I still get tired easily, a little dizzyand am still shaking off a cough… curse you Covid! I though a trip offshore to Broughton would be a bit much for me so I opted to fish in the Bay for a change, enabling a bit of a sleep in, and chase some whiting and flathead as well as some crabs.

I had the boat in the water by the time forecast for first light but first light was probably actually 10-15 minutes earlier. 🤷‍♂️ I dropped the traps and hoop nets in an area I’ve had success in the past and did some drifting in a few areas not too far away. Bait fishing with worms mostly as I really didn’t have the energy to stand and flick lures for too long. Just a nice relaxing way to fish and ease myself back into it. Also tried a deep hole on the tide change with fresh local squid, hoping for a jew but no success. Caught several small snapper around the 28cm mark but all I took home were 2 sand whiting, a flounder and a couple of blue swimmer crabs. I think someone may have raided my traps because one of the hoop nets was 50 metres or so from where I’d set it. I checked them a few times during the session and got 3 crabs (one a Jenny with eggs) after the first check and that was it. Anyway, I enjoyed several relaxing hours on the water and took home a small feed. Whiting and flounder, lightly floured and fried… 😋 When I catch blue swimmers, we usually like to make Singapore Chilli Crab but 2 wasn’t going to be enough, so I dropped into the local co-op to grab a few more… 4 blue swimmers for $60. Yikes! Still, my mother-in-law made up a nice rempah and we cooked them up in the wok on the BBQ. Yum… one of the best way to eat crabs! 😋

I was exhausted that night and the next day and my whole body ached. I’m kinda glad I didn’t fish offshore as I don’t think my body would have handled it! Small steps, slowly, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

E136CB51-3FA9-4FE2-91CA-CDF4728AA059.jpeg

3B0F4569-855F-4C9B-B1C4-3CCCE19F7E40.jpeg

• Like 9

Great feed Baz and good to see you've recovered enough to fish again.

Re the sabiki rod, maybe try a long piece of wire formed into a hook at the end? That way you might be able to see if you can snag one of the hooks? However, if the sinker is jammed in there, you're on your own...

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 1

Fantastic read and great photos mate.I had Covid a couple of weeks ago and I can tell you I had every symptom known to man.The worse was feeling like I was chewing on a mouthful of razor blades and someone holding a blow torch on my throat for a week.I didn't eat or drink for 6 days(At all) I couldn't.Lost 7kg from this 122kg athletic stunning body.🤣😂

Hope you feel better quickly mate as I was super tired too, dizzy etc.

I just sipped on ice to stay hydrated and alive.

Edited by Fab1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Great feed Baz and good to see you've recovered enough to fish again.

Re the sabiki rod, maybe try a long piece of wire formed into a hook at the end? That way you might be able to see if you can snag one of the hooks? However, if the sinker is jammed in there, you're on your own...

Yeah, the sinker’s in there… but it got in there, so it should come out again, right?!😂

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Fantastic read and great photos mate.I had Covid a couple of weeks ago and I can tell you I had every symptom known to man.The worse was feeling like I was chewing on a mouthful of razor blades and someone holding a blow torch on my throat for a week.I didn't eat or drink for 6 days(At all) I couldn't.Lost 7kg from this 122kg athletic stunning body.🤣😂

Hope you feel better quickly mate as I was super tired too, dizzy etc.

I just sipped on ice to stay hydrated and alive.

Thanks. Yeah, sounds like we’ve had similar symptoms but I didn’t have the razor blades in the throat for as long as you. I wish I could have lost 7kg though! 😂I lost 2 in the first 3 days, then got my appetite back and put most of it back on. Not having the energy to do much and sleeping a lot doesn’t help burn the calories, I guess. 🤷‍♂️It’s coming up to 6 weeks for me… I just have to try a little bit each day.

• Like 1

Hey @Berleyguts, glad you’re getting on top of things mate, and good to get out on the water again.
I’ve got 2 Sabiki rods, a one piece and a two piece. I don’t use the one piece any more as it’s a pain to get the line in and as you’re now trying , out.

What I did was cut the line off at the reel and tape a vacuum cleaner hose to the end of the rod and shake / suck the jig out - eventually it came.

goodluck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Hey @Berleyguts, glad you’re getting on top of things mate, and good to get out on the water again.
I’ve got 2 Sabiki rods, a one piece and a two piece. I don’t use the one piece any more as it’s a pain to get the line in and as you’re now trying , out.

What I did was cut the line off at the reel and tape a vacuum cleaner hose to the end of the rod and shake / suck the jig out - eventually it came.

goodluck

Ah, that might work. I’ll give it a try tomorrow. The sinker shouldn’t be too far in. I made the mistake of going down a size or two, as I felt I needed the least weight possible. Obviously, I went too small! 😂

Re the Sabiki rod… the swivel got caught in the feeder hole. Loosened it up with a skewer and the sinker and rest of the rig came out OK. Bigger sinker on there now, or I will tie a big stopper knot in tubing if going lighter, or weightless. 🙏 everyone.

• Like 1

Always a nice way to fish, relaxing inside on calm waters. I love heading out off Sydney but also enjoy days when I stay in the harbor 🙂
With that Covid I was very lucky, sore throat just before going to bed, woke up early with the hot and cold sweats, then by 11.00am was not feeling too bad. I did lack energy for 8 or 9 days, was fine around the house but was not up to walking 18 holes on the golf course, but was not feeling sick for more than a few hours. The wife called it Quick Covid. At least you have not got what they are calling Long Covid which lasts for months.