Crap weather & a new pb

Restyle

Headed out this morning at 4.30 from yowie wharf on the kayak on what was suppose to be a good calm morning. Arrived at the mooring by 10 past 5 at lilli pilli and pretty much the minute I tied up the wind picked right up and started howling easily 60-70km/hr. a lot more then the 15 km/hr predicted. I Had the bimi set up on the kayak because there were showers around and that was getting thrashed by the wind, half a meter wind chop and I wasnt going to head in so I just sat there and waited for the wind to die down, which it was slowly doing by around 6;30 but nowhere near as bad as it was.

So now the fishing begins. I started a nice burley trail with some mullet guts and pulled up some healthy yakkas and slimies and turfed them right back out live. Wouldn’t be Long till a king chases my live bait out of the water for some Ariel fun but no hook up. Threw some squid out on the other rod and pulled a 68cm flatty which was a unusual catch and also a pb for me.

shortly after I pull up a mid 50’s king on a squid head. A lot of kings on the sounder but none were interested in squid strips, garfish, live yakka, pillie cubes and a juicy succulent squid head. School moves on and i hook onto a straggler in the mid 50’s on a squid strip. Wind picks up again so I headed in. Yakka got swimming practice so I threw it back so he can tell his friends about his new piercings.

overall it was a ok day, the weather made it rather lumpy and uncomfortable but there were plenty of fish around with bycatch of trev’s and pinkies with a new pb flatty, A fish I never target but did fight good. All fish released.

C838535C-09CD-4E71-ABBF-3FA9D1FA9334.jpeg

51FDFF4B-0F8C-4EE0-93E6-EFF03138926F.jpeg

Edited by Restyle
  • Like 18

• Restyle changed the title to Crap weather & a new pb
3 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Mate, Respect for getting out there! I pride myself for fishing rain, hail or shine, but today I woke up at 5am for a morning session, heard the wind and curled up back in bed! And on a kayak no less!

Glad you were well rewarded with your flatty pb. Well done.

Cheers mate, the wind found me and I’ve already made the effort to get a trip in. If I woke up and it was that windy I’d be going to bed aswell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chhayzor said:

Great Flatty you got there. Kings would've been fun too.

Can I ask what setup(s) you used for the livies? 

Always good fun.

setup for livies is a shimano terez heavy, sustain 4K, spooled with 20lb braid and 20lb leader with twin fixed owner 6/0’s. It’s rather light but I fight my kings hard and fast and even the 70 models struggle to get away.

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Well done mate 👍 - beautiful flatty!!!

they fight hard at that size and usually go for a couple of good runs.

Still managed landing your target species, so a great effort in my books.

Yeah thought it was a small Jew at first with the head shakes and the first run. Once I saw it was a flatty I eased off abit to save my leader but I had to change it anyway.

22 minutes ago, Isaac Ct said:

Beatiful flattie there mate, well done on the PB.

Serious dedication to get out there in the chop and catch some fish. 

Cheers mate, glad the wind pulled up when I was set in, paddling over with the bimi, rear blowing winds would’ve been trouble.

• Like 2

Nice flattie.

I headed out this morning, launched at my mother's place early with not much wind. Headed west and as soon as I rounded the Lilli Pilli corner, the westerly was howling (which drop kick forecast light winds)

I anchored further up stream, there for 5 minutes and one of the anchors came adrift. Packed up and headed to North West Arm, anchored again and again one anchor let go due to the strong wind gusts. 

Moved to Gymea Bay and anchored, this time the spot was a bit protected but still gusty winds.

Stayed for a while longer than planned due to the wind. Pulled out a trevally about 45cm, a 40cm red gurnard, a bream about 35 and a stack of reddies, one just over legal.

I was going to pump nippers and drift for whiting, but with a strong wind blowing against the current, would have been a waste of time. I headed back to base, and a short time later the wind dropped and turned light easterly. :1taz: Was thinking of heading back out, but had enough.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Nice flattie.

I headed out this morning, launched at my mother's place early with not much wind. Headed west and as soon as I rounded the Lilli Pilli corner, the westerly was howling (which drop kick forecast light winds)

I anchored further up stream, there for 5 minutes and one of the anchors came adrift. Packed up and headed to North West Arm, anchored again and again one anchor let go due to the strong wind gusts. 

Moved to Gymea Bay and anchored, this time the spot was a bit protected but still gusty winds.

Stayed for a while longer than planned due to the wind. Pulled out a trevally about 45cm, a 40cm red gurnard, a bream about 35 and a stack of reddies, one just over legal.

I was going to pump nippers and drift for whiting, but with a strong wind blowing against the current, would have been a waste of time. I headed back to base, and a short time later the wind dropped and turned light easterly. :1taz: Was thinking of heading back out, but had enough.

Thought I saw you putting along just before sunrise. Still Did pretty good despite nature having different plans. 
on the way back In as the wind calms again and sun comes out there were giant school of pilchards or whitebait at the mouth of yowie bay with solid fish under them, nothing took my dead floater piles though 

1 hour ago, Restyle said:

Thought I saw you putting along just before sunrise. Still Did pretty good despite nature having different plans. 
on the way back In as the wind calms again and sun comes out there were giant school of pilchards or whitebait at the mouth of yowie bay with solid fish under them, nothing took my dead floater piles though 

You might have seen me, but would not have heard me over the wind. "F*&@^* weather forecasters", repeated more than once. 🤣

• Haha 2