Skipjack off South head

blaxland

Launched in the dark Monday 21/2/22 from Roseville the plan was go straight to the FAD for Dollies then snapper and finally bonnies. Windy had me thinking 10kn winds easing to 3kn between 8am  and 11. Well it was howling westerly with the wind following it was ok but I tried driving into it and plumes of spray shot over the boat. Decided to give the fad a miss trolled north head for a while no luck got into washaway was fairly protected and showing surface swirls threw 20gm white rooster popper around for a while and trolled for a taylor and something much bigger which eventually pulled the hook. Wind had calmed so decided to troll south head and soon had a decent fish in the boat but the next 3 or 4 were all small macs in quick succession so I called it day. Had a lovely massaman  fish curry for dinner and some sashimi the following day. Glad I beat the rain. 

274497237_4619137331528486_5139778236736008880_n.jpg

274276971_4622539847854901_8092929108876831201_n.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Better than a donut! Years ago I caught a solid Albacore tuna at north head! Made for some good eating too! Happy days 🤙

cheers scratchie!!! 

I have eaten albacore sashimi at a restaurant before and can attest to the fact the it was delicious👍

• Like 2

Nice fish, but the dumb arsed weather forecasters certainly stuffed on Monday. My anchor pulled out twice, forecast of 5 to 10 knots from the north, actual 30 to 40 knots from the west. :1taz: Would have stayed at home if the actual weather was forecast.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jiggy said:

Sorry guys looks like a Bonito to  me. A stripey (Skipjack) looks like this. They also pull much harder than a Bonney.

Cheers

Rob

tuna.jpg

Last time I got a strippy I called it a Mac and got caned think I would learn Mac.jpg.6b708568951ec6a14686b46ef94d5bff

Nice Bonnie Bill. Be careful eating raw Bonito, it can make you crook with bacteria that lives on the skin. I know a few fishos who will now only it it tataka (very quickly cooked or “torched” on the skin side for 10-20 seconds). I’ve had it “sashimi” and no problems, but after talking to a few blokes (far more experienced than me), I was warned of possible effects - won’t make you too crook apparently, but can give  you the runs and upset stomach)

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Nice Bonnie Bill. Be careful eating raw Bonito, it can make you crook with bacteria that lives on the skin. I know a few fishos who will now only it it tataka (very quickly cooked or “torched” on the skin side for 10-20 seconds). I’ve had it “sashimi” and no problems, but after talking to a few blokes (far more experienced than me), I was warned of possible effects - won’t make you too crook apparently, but can give  you the runs and upset stomach)

Thanks Bob it was skinned and no side effects to the couple that ate it. Will keep in mind for the future. In todays world seems like breathing is bad for you.