Ballina amateur - wahoooooooooo

Vara

Well after having to head back to Sydney for kids school I managed an escape last week for a few days to get a few things done around the property. 

luckily a few things lined up and I managed a window to head back out for a trip to the 32 fathom reefs to try and grab a for table fish and then try again for marlin. After the last trip that is what excited me most.

as a complete novice to the area I hope this report shows people how good this area.

headed out at 8am and got the reef areas around 8.45am. After a couple of hours had a good looking esky with snapper, flatties and a tusk fish. 

with a tight deadline thought time to throw out the lures and tag them round for an hour or two. 

it wasn’t long before one of the rods went off. It was a pretty simply outfit. An egg beater filled with 80lb braid. 

It was obvious quickly that this wasn’t a marlin but a good fish none the less. A Spaniard, a big dolly perhaps, tuna. After 15 minutes up came a cracking wahoo. 

Back at the ramp at 12.30pm with a great esky. What a cracking area this is. 

with a bit of luck we are heading to the shelf on Saturday to drop the electric down chasing blue eye and groper. Will also throw a few livies down on the 48s and drag some lures around. 

so another first time trying trip but expectations are high. 

be well. Get up here. 

84328B46-366A-41A1-BED4-72CD2BB5B52D.jpeg

0AD24CDD-4FB2-4BDB-AB90-5A0599724233.jpeg

95160298-5991-459D-86E2-A6412B754D25.jpeg

Edited by Vara
Add word
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• Vara changed the title to Ballina amateur - wahoooooooooo

Interesting pickles that’s what I thought at first then I sent the photo to the local tackle shop operator. 

he suggested it was a wahoo. Anyway it tastes bloody good. I have only ever caught wahoo once before in Fiji. So I am no expert and I have only caught a few Spaniards at different times. 

i also check a lot of images and agree with the local tackle shop operator it was a wahoo but maybe we are wrong. 

First photo spansih

second a wahoo

third our mystery fish .

94AC6A7E-53CE-4F7B-81BA-3C7239C838C7.jpeg

B4E251A7-BF24-4025-B3A5-443D0860E3FA.jpeg

EB0B4EFF-4DCA-4133-9DB2-A58408790A21.jpeg

I would like to see the dorsal fin exposed to be sure . However I would call it as a Wahoo as the upright dorsal is 2/3 rd down the body as the Mackerel are approx 1/2 way down the body and also the tail has that knob type shape in centre as the mackerel are less pronounced.

Frank

17 hours ago, blaxland said:

Awesome have a mate who lives up there but gets seasick didnt know the fishing was that good will be up there soon

Let me know when you are up. I am no expert up here but learning blaxland.