Port hacking kings

Larkin

gday raiders,

hit up port hacking last Thursday just after the rains. Water was a choccy brown, but on my way out from the boat ramp sounded up a nice school of kings in Gunnamatta Bay.

anchored and was straight onto a king. Didn’t have a chance to get live bait, so loaded up some half pillies and mackerel strip baits dropped to bottom then raised up two meters. 

Brought up 5 kings ranging from 50-60cm. A school of bait passed underneath and I managed to get 4-5 slimies and yakkas into the live well.
By this time the kings went off the bite, so I decided to slow troll a livie up the main Chanel. On the first pass hooked up to a 55cm salmon. Did a few more passes with a couple of hits, but no more hook ups.

called it a day. Vid attached of the action.

• Like 14

Good that you were able to get out and onto some fish, not many reports coming in at present. Thanks for sharing your post and video Larkin. I'm a complete novice when it comes to Kingfish. How would the tackle you were using fare with a large, feisty Kingfish? Can you tell me what tackle you were using please?

bn

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Nice work.

Thanks Fab

15 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Great video @Larkin. Just love the bend that even a small king can put into a rod!

Interesting to see that the action is hotting up before the water is clearing. Just goes to show that you have to give it a go before you write of the water colour/tide etc.

Thanks little flatty, they’re always good fun to catch.

15 hours ago, big Neil said:

Good that you were able to get out and onto some fish, not many reports coming in at present. Thanks for sharing your post and video Larkin. I'm a complete novice when it comes to Kingfish. How would the tackle you were using fare with a large, feisty Kingfish? Can you tell me what tackle you were using please?

bn

Hi BN, I mainly use jigging rods as they are short, have power and easier to use on the ski. I take 2 lighter rods and two heavier rods.

my two lighter rods are a zodias 7-14lb (spin rod) with vanford 4000 reel 20lb braid.

the rod you see bending in the video is a shimano grappler LJ (light jig) max pe 2 with a stradic ci4 4000 reel 20lb braid

the heavier rod is a shimano game type J (jig rod) PE 2.5 with a twin power SW in 6000 - I run PE 2.5 saltiga braid on this.

These set ups can handle most fish - I’ll run the live baits on the heavier rods and usually salted strip baits of bonito or slimies on the lighter rods.

14 hours ago, Isaac Ct said:

Great video mate and it looked like a fun session. Well done.

Thanks Isaac, Had a few sessions lately where I’ve landed on a school of kings.

13 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Top stuff love the video they are some fine Kings 

thanks masterfisho, was a bit of fun for the morning.

11 hours ago, Rebel said:

Great video. Well done.

Thanks Rebel. Wanted to show the family my adventures so started to film my outings.

10 hours ago, Scooter0069 said:

Great post and video 

thanks scooter - hopefully people enjoy watching and can spot out the local spots I go to. 

8 hours ago, Restyle said:

Nice vid, good job mate

Thanks restyle.

you get a chance to get out there again?

I went out again on Sunday but didn’t see any kings around on that day.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good work. Plenty of rats about, getting to the bait before the bigger ones.

Thanks yowie, I sounded up some really big fish below, but at the time I only had pillies and strip baits - if only I had some live baits earlier on.

14 hours ago, Larkin said:

Thanks Fab

Thanks little flatty, they’re always good fun to catch.

Hi BN, I mainly use jigging rods as they are short, have power and easier to use on the ski. I take 2 lighter rods and two heavier rods.

my two lighter rods are a zodias 7-14lb (spin rod) with vanford 4000 reel 20lb braid.

the rod you see bending in the video is a shimano grappler LJ (light jig) max pe 2 with a stradic ci4 4000 reel 20lb braid

the heavier rod is a shimano game type J (jig rod) PE 2.5 with a twin power SW in 6000 - I run PE 2.5 saltiga braid on this.

These set ups can handle most fish - I’ll run the live baits on the heavier rods and usually salted strip baits of bonito or slimies on the lighter rods.

Thanks Isaac, Had a few sessions lately where I’ve landed on a school of kings.

thanks masterfisho, was a bit of fun for the morning.

Thanks Rebel. Wanted to show the family my adventures so started to film my outings.

thanks scooter - hopefully people enjoy watching and can spot out the local spots I go to. 

Thanks restyle.

you get a chance to get out there again?

I went out again on Sunday but didn’t see any kings around on that day.

Nah mate, couldn’t get out unfortunately, Im planning for a trip for Friday morning, the kings on Sunday were along the channel near the camps, had some people come in on Monday morning who ran out of bait on kings, they said they’ve caught around 30 rats between 50-65